The new iBook and Mac mini updates

As I'm sure you know, Apple recently updated their iBook and Mac mini product lines. Sadly, the updates weren't what a lot of us expected (eg. widescreen iBook's), but the updates still make both the iBook and Mac mini more appealing. I must admit, I'm a bit disappointed with both updates - but here's my verdict in detail:

iBook

? FASTER ? both the iBook's got speed bumbs. The 12-inch iBook now has a 1.33GHz G4 processor (up from 1.2GHz) and the 14-inch now has a 1.42GHz G4 (up from 1.33GHz). Although these bumbs are better then nothing, it's still pretty small.

? MORE RAM ? this is something long overdue in my opinion. All the iBook's now have 512mb of RAM; that's double the previous amount of 256mb. Apple even left 1 memory slot free, so there's room for future expansion if you feel you need it.

? NEW TRACKPAD ? this was a feature that really impressed me when it debuted with the PowerBook a few months ago, and now the iBook's get it as well. The scrolling trackpad allows you to scroll vertically or horizontally in open windows as well as pan around the screen. I'm not sure if this feature is available in any other Windows laptops, but either way, it's a pretty cool feature.

? SUDDEN MOTION SENSOR ? also like in the PowerBook, the sudden motion sensor apparently protects your hard drive and files if you happen to drop your iBook. I haven't found any online reviews from people brave enough to try this yet, but it's nice to know it's there.

? STANDARD WIRELESS ? Airport Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) are now standard in both iBook models. If my memory serves me correctly, the previous iBook's only had Airport Extreme, so this is a nice little addition.

? IMPROVED GRAPHICS ? I'm not sure of what the previous graphic card was, but the new iBooks now feature ATI Mobility Radeon 9550's with 32mb of DDR SDRAM. I'm told the new graphic cards are better than whatever the previous cards were.

? TIGER AND ILIFE ? both Tiger and iLife '05 are included with the new iBook's. I'm not sure if this is a brand new feature, or whether Apple are just pointing it out (previous iBook's were said to have Panther and iLife '04), both either way it's good.

FINAL VERDICT: Although slightly disappointing, the new updates defiantly make the iBook's more appealing. Considering that you are getting a considerable amount more then previous models for the same price, it's a welcome update. We also have to remember that the iBooks are Apple's low-end notebooks and are generally targeted at the basic home user and student, which would probly explain why the iBook does not yet have a widescreen Mac minier speeds.

Mac mini

? MORE RAM ? all the Mac mini models now have 512mb of RAM, that's double the previous amount of 256mb.

? WIRELESS (ALMOST) STANDARD ? Airport Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) are now standard in both of the 1.42GHz models, but sadly, Apple left out the 1.25GHz model.

FINAL VERDICT: it's sad, really. These Mac mini updates can only be discribed as a disappointment. The lowest-end model, which would be the most appealing to new Windows switchers, received nothing but more RAM. Not to mention none of the models received an updated graphics card or larger hard drive size. Considering that you can get Windows systems for a similar price that are more powerful and include a keyboard/mouse/monitor, potential switchers may look past the Mac mini for one of Apple's competitors. I know the Mac mini's size is impressive, but for a system that lacks so many basic features, it's fairly overpriced.

So at the end of the day, it comes down to this; the iBook updates are a welcome change, but the Mac mini updates are simply disappointing. Unless you desperately need a new Mac now, I'd say wait until you can afford a higher-end Mac or until the Intel models start appearing.

edit: thanks to SojIrOu and StevoFC for correcting me on a few points.

Edited by Cubiz

uh there is no speed bump for mac minis the 1.25ghz model is the same as before

586279819[/snapback]

I could have sworn it was 1.2GHz before... thanks for the heads up. Post edited.

Not bad, but not quite good either. The iBook updates are pretty appealing, adding some cool features, but I agree - the mini updates are, well, mini.

Personally, I would favor these updates over, say, widescreens. I don't like widescreen displays of any type.

Not bad, but not quite good either. The iBook updates are pretty appealing, adding some cool features, but I agree - the mini updates are, well, mini.

Personally, I would favor these updates over, say, widescreens. I don't like widescreen displays of any type.

586286716[/snapback]

Personally, I'm not a fan of the widescreen ibook's. I prefer the aspct ratio from the last batch Apple released. On another note, the 12" ibooks are still pretty pricey... starting at 1300CAD is a little steep for an entry-level notebook.

and this means ??

Shld i buy it or not? :alien:

586287624[/snapback]

I wrote this review to help you decided for youself.

you forgot a new video card was added to the ibook as well

586287952[/snapback]

Thanks for the heads up. Post edited.