[NHL] PA President Goodenow resigns

NHLPA President Bob Goodenow resigned today. He had 3 years left on his contract. Sources are saying he wasn't happy with the new CBA. Ted Saskin, who's was the union's senior director of business affairs and licensing, is taking over for Goodenow.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2118641

!/2 of the NHL problems is fixed now.

Apparently Goodenow's problems started because he was too good. Average player salaries rose over 500% since he became NHLPA President in the early 90's. The owners just couldn't afford it any longer.

yup.  and he's the same person who screwed the players in the new cba.

586297146[/snapback]

Under Goodenow, average player salaries rose over 500%. Now they have been rolled back 24% (and perhaps more if free agents sign for dramatically less). All in all, players have done much better under Goodenow than they did under Eagleson. The problem is that they did too well.

I think that Bettman is the real prolem. I'd pay to have him removed or just have someone else speak on his behalf; most annoying whiney voice on the planet.

Goodnow was doing his job properly...he just did it too well and it caused him to be pushed out.

It seems like he sold the players out.

How could he agree to a 24% rollback and contract buyouts? These were already negotiated contracts. I could understand limits on NEW contracts, but cutting the players off at the knees like this on existing contracts just seems unforgiveable.

But the odd part for me was that the players voted 90% in favor of the agreement.

I wonder if it would have been better to sign last year before the lockout?

he didnt sell the players out. this wasnt his deal. thats why hes leaving. the players caved in. the players were the ones who wanted this deal. if it were up to goodenow the players would sit out another year. as for bettman..i dont see him leaving. the owners have to love him right now. now all he has to do is reinstate bertuzzi.

How could he agree to a 24% rollback

586297446[/snapback]

The NHLPA were the ones who made the 24% salary rollback offer in the 1st place.

The NHLPA were the ones who made the 24% salary rollback offer in the 1st place.

Wow, man. I had no idea. Thanks for the clarification.