Do You feel that programs that minimize instead of close annoy you?

34 members have voted

1. 1. Do You feel that programs that minimize instead of close annoy you?

• Exit
    • Minimize

If anyone uses bulletproof FTP server, you will know that there is a button designed to specifically minimize to the system tray. Since that button is not really part of the standard buttons in Windows (I am pretty sure it's part of one of the dll's w/ Windows) it kinda looks funny since it can't be skinned. But anyway, at least they have a separate button to minimize to the systray unlike other pograms where you have to guess what the minimize and close buttons do!

I have even emailed the tech support people at ICQ to ask them to restore the original functionality of the "X" button. They just sent me an automated reply containing all of the "great new features of ICQ." My friend sent a similiar email to them too, and he got pretty much the same response.

Maybe if we all come together, we can get our favorite programs to act how they used to! I'm not sure how to accomplish this though. Does anyone want to help?

There are valid reasons for using the minimize button ("minimize to tray") or the X button (as said, you could think of "close this window, but let the application running")...

Perhaps MS should think of a general way, but that will probably will take much to long.

Or one could develop an extension for the system menu for all windows, where you could select "minimize to tray" along with close and minimize. An extra button could also be added, but thats not as easy while not impossible.

Originally posted by tmeg

Or one could develop an extension for the system menu for all windows, where you could select "minimize to tray" along with close and minimize. An extra button could also be added, but thats not as easy while not impossible.

It's already fairly easy for any Windows developer to add an extra option to the system menu for their application's window.