[NHL] Crosby to move in with Lemieux and family

050731_crosby_lemieux_250.jpg

Pittsburgh Penguins owner and player Mario Lemieux, right, looks on as Sidney Crosby gets ready to leave the stage after being selected first overall in the 2005 NHL entry draft yesterday in Ottawa.

Jul. 31, 2005. 08:35 AM

Crosby ready to move in with Lemieux

Penguins make it official and pick the Next One

KEN CAMPBELL

SPORTS REPORTER

OTTAWA - Mario Lemieux didn't even get out of his seat at the Montreal Forum when the Pittsburgh Penguins selected him first overall 21 years ago. Eric Lindros refused to put on the Quebec Nordiques sweater and demanded a trade 14 years ago.

But this is the new NHL. The Next One, a.k.a. Sidney Crosby, not only puts on the sweater with the funny looking bird on it, he immediately starts talking about moving in with the team owner.

There's a good chance the future of the NHL will have his name on an entry-level contract before he turns 18 next Sunday, but Crosby won't have to worry about signing a lease. Crosby is expected to move into Lemieux's palatial digs in Sewickley, Penn., for his first season in the NHL.

"I'd gladly take the offer," Crosby said. "To be around someone like that and learn, you know, that's a great opportunity. I'd love to have the opportunity to do that."

For his part, the future landlord is confident he'll find a vacancy, both in the Penguins lineup and in his home. "If he wants to stay with us," Lemieux said, "we have some room."

For Crosby, the day that he has been waiting for finally arrived yesterday. The NHL entry draft was way short on drama and the pomp and circumstance was a little wanting as well. Despite the fact that the Corel Centre was offered to the league and hotel availability was not a problem, the league claimed that it was too pressed for time to pull off an event of such magnitude. Cynical observers suggested that commissioner Gary Bettman didn't want to risk being booed by thousands of hockey fans.

The Penguins, meanwhile, will be looking to capitalize on Crosby every bit as much as they did Lemieux, perhaps even more. After all, when Lemieux was drafted, the Civic Arena was considered a fairly modern facility. Not only is Crosby being counted upon to resurrect the Penguins and get them a new arena, he'll also have to find some time to save the NHL.

The Penguins have not disclosed how many season tickets they've sold since winning the lottery just over a week ago, but the phones apparently have yet to stop ringing. "It's really going to help us bring back our fans and grow the game and make it better for everybody involved," Lemieux said. "He's going to be a big part of the puzzle going forward. He has all the tools to be a great, great player in this league and have a great career. He's just a great asset for all of us.

Getting Crosby and having a healthy Lemieux makes the Penguins a more formidable foe than the roster of journeymen cobbled together in the season before the lockout. The Penguins signed Mark Recchi last summer. "I think the key for us in Pittsburgh is to surround him with some great players and some guys who can make his job easier to start."

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentSe...d=1044442959412

I joked about this earlier.

Super Mario has done this before with francophone players (Marc-Andre Fleury) but Sydney Crosby is an anglophone from Nova Scotia so there wouldn't be a language barrier to worry about in his case. Still, it is kinda cute.

Also, is it me, or does it seem that Crosby invited himself over?

does this happen in any other sport, or just hockey?

i remember someone used to live with someone on the avalanche....like tanguay living with roy or something...

but i never hear of this in other sports.

does this happen in any other sport, or just hockey?

i remember someone used to live with someone on the avalanche....like tanguay living with roy or something...

but i never hear of this in other sports.

586303736[/snapback]

I haven't heard of it in other sports. It has a certain appeal for French Canadian atheletes who play in the United States. Often they'll billet with french speaking veterans (Patrick Roy, Mario Lemieux).

What makes this a little different is that Sydney Crosby speaks english. Mario made a joke about Marc Andre Fluery. He talked about the advantages of keeping track of his teenage player AND having a free babysitter for his young kids.

So had Marc Andre Fluery agreed to move out or is Mario keeping both of them? I gather he has a palatial house with sufficient room.

Super Mario has done this before with francophone players (Marc-Andre Fleury) but Sydney Crosby is an anglophone from Nova Scotia so there wouldn't be a language barrier to worry about in his case. Still, it is kinda cute.

586303526[/snapback]

The fact that you said "it is kinda cute" in itself is kinda cute :wub:

:laugh:

Did you see the size difference between the two... Yizers :|... I think Crosby is gonna get knocked around quite a lot in the NHL :| :p

586304348[/snapback]

I have a hard time picturing that. I don't think you've seen him play, judging from that comment.

I have a hard time picturing that. I don't think you've seen him play, judging from that comment.

586304370[/snapback]

Ive seen him play, then ive also seen some of the best get drilled in the NHL... and by him being the next great one, im sure enough people will want a piece of him... that's my reasoning behind the comment

Ive seen him play, then ive also seen some of the best get drilled in the NHL... and by him being the next great one, im sure enough people will want a piece of him... that's my reasoning behind the comment

586304381[/snapback]

I don't think anyone in the league is that stupid. No one really hurts another player intentionally in the NHL, except for on extremely rare occasions -- this isn't some WWF/NFL-hybrid or something. Will veterans try and check him a little to make sure he knows who he's playing with? Yeah, but Crosby's got some size on him -- he's bulkier than Super Mario, despite whatever picture you've been looking at.

Because the transition from Canada to the US is so difficult?  :huh:

586305367[/snapback]

lol... i know you're a mod and all, but in my post above if you read it... i didnt exactly mention anything about the transition being difficult or anything :s

Anywho, time will tell how this transition goes, I just have doubts of his abilities, but that will either be proven or not when the season starts :D

Edit: Doubts being if he's the next great one, we all know he's a great player

Edit: Doubts being if he's the next great one, we all know he's a great player

586305410[/snapback]

There will never be another Gretzky, no doubt about it, but I can definitely see Crosby being a multi-time Art Ross/Hart Trophy winner several years down the road.

lol... i know you're a mod and all, but in my post above if you read it... i didnt exactly mention anything about the transition being difficult or anything :s

586305410[/snapback]

I just find it really weird that he's going to be living with Lemeiux. You're going to be a friggin millionaire. Get your own house.

i think it's cool he may live there. i have seen mario's house. it's about 15 minutes away from mine. believe me it's big enough for a few more people haha.

Im pretty sure it's quite common that sometime rookies or teammates bunk with eachother for a little while in the NHL. I've heard of a few instances of this, but can't exactly pin-point who specifically. Usually rookies will move in for a bit with a vet, or a newly signed player may bunk as well. I'm sure Crosby doesn't mind learning from one of the greatest ever, especially if he's a montreal fan. Although he never played for mtl, Lemieux is still god-like to any montrealer or habs fan.

i think it's cool he may live there. i have seen mario's house. it's about 15 minutes away from mine. believe me it's big enough for a few more people haha.

586307147[/snapback]

Stevo, I live in Pittsburgh too.

Let's hug. :beer:

Im pretty sure it's quite common that sometime rookies or teammates bunk with eachother for a little while in the NHL. I've heard of a few instances of this, but can't exactly pin-point who specifically. Usually rookies will move in for a bit with a vet, or a newly signed player may bunk as well. I'm sure Crosby doesn't mind learning from one of the greatest ever, especially if he's a montreal fan. Although he never played for mtl, Lemieux is still god-like to any montrealer or habs fan.

586308215[/snapback]

Are you thinking of the Olympics?

Or do they share rooms while on road trips in the NHL?

Are you thinking of the Olympics?

Or do they share rooms while on road trips in the NHL?

586308649[/snapback]

No, he's not... I've heard of cases where rookies room with veterans for a little bit, or sometimes buying apartments in groups so they feel more at ease, I guess you'd say. And a lot of teams share rooms on the road.

586303526[/snapback]

you know Mario is from Quebec right?

Well it's smart to move in with Mario since Crosby is still quite young, he just graduated from high school, so it's good to have an authority figure both on and off the ice