What do I spend it on?!

Around October time last year, whilst on holiday, I was in hospital in Spain because of food poisoning. I was in there for three days, but those days were HORRIBLE! Anyway, my dad said that he'd get some compensation no matter what, and that he promised I could have a chunk out of it!

Well, as some of you should know, this can take months, perhaps years! So far, we've been offered ?600. That's not enough! The holiday cost ?1200, and since the three extra days were days we should be back in the UK, my dad lost around ?300 at work! So we rejected it...

A few days ago, my dad told me told me that it wasn't my fault, and that he still owed me money. I told him that it's not his fault either, and to stop feeling guilty! He said he couldn't help it...

I woke up today, went to my computer to see if those movies I set to download were complete, and to my surprise, there were 5 x ?20 notes on my desk!

Obviously, I was over the fricking mo:)! :) I thanked him loads, and now comes the hard part... what to spend it on. I wanna spend it on PC hardware though...

So, could people (preferably with mid range computers like myself) like to advise me on what to buy? Or, even better, what would you b:)? :) Cheers!

PS. Please check out www.bbelectrical.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk ( About > About Me ) before advising me...

'King' Kheldar :)

Geforce 2 - I already have a GeForce II MX 200 :)

256MB Ram - I'll wait for my new motherboard at Christmas, because it will accept more / faster RAM

CDR's - Already for 550 mate :)

YahoKa:

A quid is slang for ?1 (one pound). Look for a online money converter, because I don't know how much is is compared to a USD:)) Anyway, I was thinking about that (saving). Two months though:(( I wanna spend it now!:))

Anyway, I was thinking about that (saving). Two months though :( I wanna spend it now! :) [/b]

Well... looking at your specs briefly, the first thing i would do is get 128MB more ram, a new CPU (Thunderbird 1.4 GHz all da way!), and because you have a new CPU, you would need a new MOBO.

or you COULD go buy Windows XP (*tries to say that holding a straigt face!*) .. what a rip off, what is it 160 quid for it? And it still isnt that good other than a prettier interface...

New Athlon motherboard - ?65 [upto 1GHz] or around ?100 for one that supports 1.4GHz Athlon

And a new chip - ?35 [for a Duron 750... or possibly faster] or a faster chip with the rest of your money.

*assuming that you still have a 450 as mentioned in your sig*

That's what I'd get if I were you... but if it was me and my current computer [700 / 256RAM / TNT2 / SB!Live] I'd get a GeForce2MX and save up more a faster CPU.

send it to the voodoo retirement fund at voodoo@neowin.net, or maybe u could get:

a webcam (?25-40),

A year subscription to a XXX site,

A new optical mouse

A window kit

Neon light

A high performance HSF

and o yes did i metion that voodoo retierment fund...

:));)):pp

YahoKa:

Well said :)

Mortensen Jr. (nice ring to it eh' ? :))

I already have a GeForce II MX :) Your the second person who can't read properly now ;)

Voodoo:

Send it to the Voodoo retirement fund at voodoo@neowin.net, or maybe u could get:

A webcam (?25-40):> No point. I'd never use it...

A year subscription to a XXX site:> Why? I have M0rph3u$ :)

A new optical mouse:> I've heard they suck for online gaming

A window kit:> Nice, but the inside of my PC sucks

Neon light:> Sure, they look good, but they ain't worth the money...

A high performance HSF:> HSF?

Originally posted by King Mustard

YahoKa:

Well said :)

I already have a GeForce II MX :) Your the second person who can't read properly now ;)

I know. I had read it over one last time and realized i didnt read it correctly. I deleted the post though :roll: !

HSF = Heatsink and fan then overclo(o)ck ur cpu!

or maybe:

a new game (yes buy it u warez kiddy ;))

buy a second modem and Multilink them!

new computer table

new joystick/wheel

ElGato:

No point, becaus eI only have two speakers and a subwoofer...

Voodoo:

HSF = Heatsink and fan then overclo(o)ck ur cpu!: I wouldn't know where to begin! :)

a new game (yes buy it u warez kiddy ): Don't you mean w4r3z m0nk3y? ;)

buy a second modem and Multilink them!: I have cable. Or is that what you mean?

new computer table: Feck that, my mom'll buy me one soon anyway

new joystick/wheel: Nah, keybaord is easier to use in racing games :)

lol you're one hell of a picky guy King Mustard!

For starters, you HAVE to up that 128 meg of RAM to at LEAST 256, or you could up it to 384 with a nice new PC133 256meg stick from Novatech for about ?30. Then, get a nice new big HD! I have a 30gig Quantum Fireball 2meg cache 7200rpm on the way that i got from Novatech, was bout ?80.

Well it's hard for other people to tell you what you should get... For example I have no idea what your hd usage is... Maybe out of that 16gb or so, you are using 15, in that case you might want to consider buying a 40 or a 60 and getting rid of the old one, or add the 40 or 60 to the 16....

Maybe you like movies alot. In which case you could buy a dvd drive... And then rip and burn your own near dvd quality movied...

Maybe you'd like a nice digital camera...

I'd sure recommend more ram, but if you'll be buying a newer system soon that won't support that ram, maybe not, unless you will be making an whole new system.

Maybe you can get your parents to front you the X-Mas money? Buy a board yourself, and have your parents front the money for the cpu...

It's mostyle up to you, you should know better than us what you want or need......

Nick_Jones:

Nick: lol you're one hell of a picky guy King Mustard!

Mustard: Well it's rare I get ?100 :)

Nick:> For starters, you HAVE to up that 128 meg of RAM to at LEAST 256, or you could up it to 384 with a nice new PC133 256meg stick from Novatech for about ?30.Mustard:b> Now THAT sounds cooooool...

Nick:b> Then, get a nice new big HD! I have a 30gig Quantum Fireball 2meg cache 7200rpm on the way that i got from Novatech, was bout ?80Mustard:/b> ?80 for a 30 Gb HDD :(

That 30 Gb one above is expensive enough as it is! :)PM5K: Maybe you like movies alot. In which case you could buy a dvd drive... And then rip and burn your own near dvd quality movied.Mustard: Hmmm... that sounds good...PM5K: Maybe you'd like a nice digital camera.Mustard: Nah, wouldn't use itPM5K: I'd sure recommend more ram, but if you'll be buying a newer system soon that won't support that ram, maybe not, unless you will be making an whole new systemMustard: I think EVERY motherbaord supports a PC133 256 Mb stick :)PM5K: Maybe you can get your parents to front you the X-Mas money? Buy a board yourself, and have your parents front the money for the cpu..Mustard: No chance :) Xmas money is for Xmas :) Anyway, what'll I have for Xmas?!PM5K: It's mostyle up to you, you should know better than us what you want or need....Mustard: Mostyle? Anyway, I have ideas, but I just wanted to get more (along with price scemes :) )

Cheers everyone! I've decided to save it until Christmas. I'l get ?500, add this ?100 on, that's ?600. I can get a MEGA powerful system with that! I'll get a Athlon XP, 512 MB DDR RAM, and a GeForce III. WAHOO! Thanx mom and dad :)