[NFL] Todd Pinkston (Phi Eagles) out for year

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/homeNews...il.jsp?id=32072

PINKSTON DONE FOR THE YEAR

August 5, 2005

By BOB KENT

BETHLEHEM, Pa. -- Wide receiver Todd Pinkston will miss the entire season after rupturing his Achilles tendon on a routine play during Friday morning's practice. The injury, coupled with Terrell Owens' groin injury, leaves Donovan McNabb without his two starting receivers.

Owens is day-to-day, but Pinkston will undergo season-ending surgery. The general recovery time, according to head athletic trainer Rick Burkholder, is six months.

Meanwhile, Correll Buckhalter, who limped off the practice field Friday morning, has a bruise on his surgically-repaired right knee. Buckhalter could, however, be back on the field as early as Saturday.

But the news of the day is Pinkston.

"Obviously, we feel bad from a team standpoint for Todd," said head coach Andy Reid. "He worked very hard this offseason and was having a heck of a camp. It's a shame this happened."

Pinkston got tangled with cornerback Matt Ware while going for a pass down the left sideline during the team's live period. Pinkston got up briefly, but then laid down and awaited medical attention.

Greg Lewis replaced him in the lineup during the afternoon practice and will continue do so, Reid said. Meanwhile, second-round pick Reggie Brown took most of the No. 3 receiver reps Friday afternoon but the head coach noted that "there's some competition for that spot."

"It's tough anytime any of your guys go down," McNabb said. "We've had one receiver go down yesterday and Todd got hurt today. That's something that we definitely don't need on the offensive side or as a team."

This is the first major injury of Pinkston's pro career. He has played in 78 games during his five-year career, starting 62 of them. In 2004, his 18.8-yard average led all NFC receivers.

Pinkston's absence means opportunities for David Culley's young receiving corps. Reggie Brown's reps will surely increase. It also a big opportunity for third-year receiver Billy McMullen, who has looked sharp at times during camp. Justin Jenkins, Robert Redd, Isaac West and others are also in the mix as well.

"Injuries have played a major part in the way teams have went on that next season after that Super Bowl run," McNabb said. "You need all your guys healthy to continue this thing on."

All the more reason for the Eagles to not give in to TO. Imagine giving TO his raise, losing Pinkston and not having money left to try and get somebody to replace him. TO's good but I don't think he can be the only WR on the team.

TO's good but I don't think he can be the only WR on the team.

586332549[/snapback]

There is also Greg Lewis and Reggie Brown. Remember Westbrook also doubles as a running back and someone to throw to when he lines up in the slot. Now that Buckhalter and Richie are healthy (for now) Westbrook is going to have way less of a load as running back.

Goddamit, Pinkston was the X-factor! Lol, at getting Thrash back.

There is also Greg Lewis and Reggie Brown.? Remember Westbrook also doubles as a running back and someone to throw to when he lines up in the slot.? Now that Buckhalter and Richie are healthy (for now) Westbrook is going to have way less of a load as running back.

Goddamit, Pinkston was the X-factor!? Lol, at getting Thrash back.

586345430[/snapback]

Ummm isn't Westbrook holding out? That could be a problem considering he was their second leading receiver behind Owens last year lol.

edit> Ok just saw he ended the holdout. Probably should've checked ESbefore/b> I posted that. Ooooops lol.

Westbrook is fantastic, he'll be there more so than Owens. Mike Lewis is the slot man, I don't think he is ready for a larger role position. Reggie Brown? Who is that, the draft?

Westbrook is fantastic, he'll be there more so than Owens.  Mike Lewis is the slot man, I don't think he is ready for a larger role position.  Reggie Brown?  Who is that, the draft?

586357829[/snapback]

Yeah Reggie Brown was one of their draft picks. I think he came out of Georgia. I think he was really impressive in the mini-camps earlier in the year.

How can Owens continue to cry for more money when he has been "injured" for the entire camp? Pathetic. I do have to admit the Eagles chances look pretty bleak at this point. I see that Buckhalter is having problems with his knee again as well.

Womp wom.  Eagles receiving core is plummeting.  Get James Thrash back!  :)

586344458[/snapback]

please.. mr i cant catch a ball to win the NFC champ game a few years back... might as well kept mitchell

Yeah Reggie Brown was one of their draft picks. I think he came out of Georgia. I think he was really impressive in the mini-camps earlier in the year.

586358236[/snapback]

He did come from UGA. He was always overshadowed by the hype surrounding Fred Gibson, but this last year he really stepped up and shined. He has some really good speed and strength, but he's not a really tall guy. He coudl be a really good 2nd look WR.

Reggie Brown

Position: WR

Height: 6-1

Weight: 195

Born: 01/13/1981

College: Georgia

NFL Experience: Rookie

6-1 isn't half bad, a lot of the top receivers in the game are 6-1 (had a big discussion about this last year with a friend). I think anything under 6'0" is an automatic #2 or slot receiver. Does he play small?

Thrash was a joke man. That guy blows.

Reggie Brown 

Position: WR

Height: 6-1

Weight: 195

Born: 01/13/1981

College: Georgia

NFL Experience: Rookie

6-1 isn't half bad, a lot of the top receivers in the game are 6-1 (had a big discussion about this last year with a friend).  I think anything under 6'0" is an automatic #2 or slot receiver.  Does he play small?

Thrash was a joke man.  That guy blows.

586360677[/snapback]

He was played his career behind Fred Gibson, who always got the ball and most of the hype. But his senior year he really turned it on. I actaully do think he could be a #1 guy somewhere, but not on a team with Owens.