HDTV vs HDTV Monitor

Is there a difference? I see stores like Circuit City referring to some as HDTV and some as HDTV monitors. Can someone shed some light? :wacko:

So an HDTV would be better than an HDTV monitor, because the HDTV already includes the HD-tuner? Right?

586334867[/snapback]

I believe so. A HDTV is more for television, while a HDTV Monitor is more fitted to be used on a pc?

A HDTV might cost you hundreds more, and you can only receive few free HDTV channels over the air. if you have cable, when you upgrade to HDTV-monitor(HD-ready), you can get a set-top box from your cable company for free, which gives you more HD channels.

You still need the set top box to receive all the possible HD channels?

Reason I ask is because I was thinking about getting Samsung 30" SlimFit? HDTV (TX-R3079WH)

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsung-30-...roductDetail.do

Its got a built in tuner, but the price isn't bad.. I don't think anyway.

586334895[/snapback]

if you are getting that one and connecting it with cable, then yes, you still need a set top box. cuz that TV doesnt have a cablecard slot. the built-in tuner is only for over the air HD signals.

But for games and movies you would still need the tuner?  I thought it was just for over the air broadcasts

586335266[/snapback]

No because you don't use coaxial on those anyways. The tuner only affects the coaxial connection when you plug an over the air antenna in.