Mazda RX-8

wow wikipedia has everything. i searched up rx-8 and rotary engine and it explained the workings of it. it says the main problems with rotary engines has mostly been fixed with the rx-8.

i honestly can not believe the crap that has been said in this thread... a civic type-r does not compare with a RX8, nor was it ever meant to.

and for the people screaming "rotaries break down" and "the rx8 is unreliable", you actually do not know what you are talking about. The concept of a rotary engine is an incredible invention, to have the ability to output solid power at any revs, while still being awesomely efficient is remarkable. The engine in the RX8 is reliable, thats right, its reliable! It does become unreliable however when you dont look after the thing, a rotary needs more attention and check ups than a conventional engine but hey, if i could rev as high as it can, i'd want to be cared for too. The RX8 is a fantastic car, handling is exceptional as is acceleration and the brakes on that thing are incredible. and yes i have driven one and i loved it...

if youre still looking for something similar have a look at the s2000 or the alfa 147 GTA, both fantastic cars...

tell him to get the rx-8 and a service manual... service on them is like no problem and eventually it will become as routine as changing oil.

i drive a 1997 eclipse gsx... if they were still in production id say for him to get one of those... sporty, fast, awd (snow anyone?), and good looks. also can fit a golf bag in the hatch.

oh, and please people, dont ever compare an rx8 or any sports car to a civic or an integra again please... i mean unless you wanna put me behind the seat of an rx8 and you bring out the civic or integra and we run them around the track. fwd = understeer and straight line traction issues with any real power. ask anyone who knows their stuff about racing and performance and they will tell you that fwd is good for good gas mileage and commuter cars.... not ripping around a race track, or a drift course, or drag racing with lots of power, or picking up chicks. thats right, chicks instinctively go towards cars that aren't fwd! ha! how about that!

FWD is great for economy.

AWD and RWD is great for fun! :D

Last time I checked, no one associated 'sport' and 'economy' together.

Therfore 'sport' must associate with 'fun.'

Therfore Honda Civic's cannot associate with 'fun.'

So that means they are not 'sport.'

:) My head hurts now.

i really really hate how americans are all about hondas and acuras.... with the exception of about 3 models, they are the most boring cars in the world..

*edit* i was just thinking... is your dad set on a new car, cause i could recommend some brilliant used cars in the same price bracket.. such as the lotus elan m100

Edited by Freakz

so should you get said random car (that every prick in town has) with some ****-6 or flacid-4.... nope get a unique car and forget all about pistons and rev that **** up like it was a motorcycle hehe!!!

(btw: I drive a 1984 RX-7, teehehe)

mira we, comprate uno, y si no te gusta, ps me lo das, te lo cambio por un taurus 96 si no te gusta, jajaja, no neta, ese carro es la mamada, el rx8, a mi me gusta mucho

look guy, just buy one, if you don't like it, just give it to me, i trade it for a taurus 96 if you don't like the rx9, hehehehe, for real, that cars is the real ****, yes, the rx8, i like it very much

hmm we were out seeing some cars today. he wants an auto no matter what cause my mom will crash the car if its a manual. anyway we saw the subaru legacy. the salesman told us the GT model had 245bhp and came with the body kit. the sound system is pretty good it's a McIntosh. good thing he hates the design. looks like i'll continue to persuade him to get the RX-8.

Does it have to be a new car? With the new e90 BMW 3 series released, you can get some very sweet deals on previous generation 3 series. When the 330ci is considered the benchmark, i don't think it can be overlooked.

Secondly, Honda make very good cars. But it's still a Honda. Type-R or not, it still screams boy racer wannabe. s2000 would be my pick if he was still set on a Honda.

The same roughly goes for the STI and EVO, although they actually got serious street cred. But insurance costs will kill you.

The RX-8 is a wonderful car. Granted it's not the traffic light street warrior like the RX-7 was, but neither was it designed to be. It's got one of the best suspension setups in the business; compliant enough for a daily driver but sporty enough when you want it to be. Go read some reviews. And contrary to popular belief, any engine including the Rotary needs servicing to be reliable.

Be wary tho - when you pick the auto transmission in the 8, you lose about 20-30 kw because the transmission can't handle the power. So definitely choose the manual if at all possible.

If it were my pick, i'd go the rx-8 manual. Since it has already been released, you can get some pretty sweet used deals as well, saving a good 10-15% off sticker price. Nothing dramatic has changed from the original release 2 years ago.

If you definitely must have an auto, the Subaru Legacy is a definite contender. I think it looks quite good, and has serious handling with serious power. But, you could also wait a few more months for the Mazda 6 MPS. 4wd, with a turbo 4 pot, and made for drifting, plus cheaper than the RX-8, what more could you ask for? =)

^^ some good points there..

the current series legacy is no where near as good as the previous series B4... that was a car! twin-turbo AWD, 10 speaker Bose System... HOT!!

Legacy B4 - hmmm... did you ever drive one? The lag between the first and second turbos was hardly the making of a smooth engine! The new GT, and the 3.0R are far better propositions. The GT was awarded Japan's Car of the Year last year.

And oh yes, thanks for reminding me. Take a look at some Euro hot hatches! The VW Golf V GTI is a very very sweet ride. Plenty of power, fantastic handling, VW reliability, and a friggin awesome price!

Then there's the Opel Astra VXR. More power than the Golf, and cheaper, but nowhere near as good in the handling. Smoking front inside wheel is not uncommon =) A good example of the limits of a FWD!

i havent driven the B4 no, but ive always wanted to. My father test drove one when he was looking for a new car a while back, he loved it just thought it was too powerful for my mother and sister to be driving day to day.

we've had turbo-diesel 4WDs in our family for years... im sure the turbo lag on the B4 wouldnt compare to our old discovery hahaha

hmm anyway which would consume more fuel? a legacy with 2 litre turbo engine or the rx-8 with 1.3 litre rotary NA engine? i know the rx-8 is known to have poor fuel consumption but i'm wondering whether it can be worse than a 2 litre turbo?

yeh it all depends on driving style... the rx-8 is a relatively light car with great looks so that'd be my choice... i'd say the consumption wouldn't be too different...

www.rx8club.com is a great site to find out more.

hmm anyway which would consume more fuel? a legacy with 2 litre turbo engine or the rx-8 with 1.3 litre rotary NA engine? i know the rx-8 is known to have poor fuel consumption but i'm wondering whether it can be worse than a 2 litre turbo?

586339686[/snapback]

the thing about most turbo vehicles, and what ive found with mine is that if you stay off the go pedal then you get better fuel economy. when the turbo is forcing air into the motor your ecu in the car pushes in more fuel as well, but i don't know that it would be any better than the legacy. but listen, if you're buying a sports car then the last thing you should be looking at is fuel consumption... seriously.

hmm based on the manufacturers claim the legacy GT has a 14.4L/100km and 7.8L/100km which adds up to a 10.2L/100km combined consumption while the RX-8 has a 12.9L/100km and 8.8L/100km. i'm not sure how to get the combined fuel consumption.

i've heard people getting 14.3L/100km but the car won't be driven really hard all the time.

Regardless of what people here say, all 3 people I know that have RX8's, they still burn oil (a problem which no-one seems to have been able to cure on a rotary engine), and they are very heavy on fuel, both of which are exasperated by around town driving.

The rotor tip wear issue that older rotaries had have been pretty much cured by Mazda, but, there are still known issues. This is why only Mazda has perservered with rotary engines.

They do give high power, and the ability to rev fairly high, but, the gap has been largely closed by modern 4 stroke engines.

surely you can't beat the taxes for import cars in my country.... it's 300% not including stamp duty and excise which brings it up another 70%. cars cost more than a house here. A Japanese K-class (Daihatsu Mira-type) cost USD20,000 ..

What about a Merc C-Class Coupe as sporty car, then your Mum can drive it too 'cos Mercs have the best Auto boxes in the world.

My Dad has a Diesel one for the weekends and it blows Civic Type R's away and sticks to the road as good as my Uncles Evo 8 MR400 (It has wider tyres, LOL!).

uk-c-coupe-800x600-005.d3d3Lm1lcmNlZGVzLWJlbnouY28udWs~-TWVyY2VkZXMtQmVuei4gVGhlIGZ1dHVyZSBvZiB0aGUgYXV0b21vYmlsZQ~~-object-Single-WALLP.jpg

Sexy eh? Looks good on our drive

hmm even a toyota altis (the cheapest 1.6 litre version) costs $40k :no:

the new C-class coupe looks hot :) glad they fixed the back. but i doubt my dad will get it cause it should cost $90k-$100k and its not here yet.

anyway i went to see more cars today and i think the RX-8 is going out of the window. those dealers (parallel importers) are ********. they only give 1 year of warranty for the car. not to mention they don't have the Type E (powered seats, bose stereo, etc.), neither do they have a choice of colours and i believe their workshops are shoddy.

now i have a few cars left to choose from. the honda integra (RSX) not the type R or type S and the subaru legacy GT. my dad refuses to get the WRX cause he says its ugly and its only manual.

the legacy is my number 1 choice so far but the maintenance for a turbo car is kind of troublesome and expensive i believe? the integra is cheap but not fast enough. maybe i can convince him to get the type R.

if anyone has recommendations keep them coming. :)

Edited by SojIrOu