[NHL] Gretzky to Coach Phoenix Coyotes

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2128012

http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/story/8713770

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/hock...h.ap/index.html

Well everyone's picking up on the story so if it IS false that would be embarrassing. Would be interesting to see what kind of a coach he makes. And it might make people care about the Coyotes lol. If he coaches against the Rangers I'd try to get tickets.

lets just wait for the press conference. Obviously Gretzky is no amateur to hockey, it might be good for the franchise especially after this lockout to boost ticket sales and what-not.... but! we all know Gretzky is a busy man, so its up in the air if u ask me, i won't say much else until the conference.

Heard about this yesterday. I think it's good for him and the team that he will be coaching, however I wish it were for a Canadian team.

Its official. New conference today at 4pm ET.

well if he's half as good as a coach as he was on the ice, the coyotes have bright days ahead

586344982[/snapback]

For sure...If hockey doesn't fly in the desert now, it never will.

well if he's half as good as a coach as he was on the ice, the coyotes have bright days ahead

586344982[/snapback]

not to mention some of the players they signed in the last 2 years. I think the Coyotes will be a fairly good team this season

He should lace them up again so he can hold the titles of owner, coach and player.  :D

That'll show Mario...

586345050[/snapback]

:laugh:

The first line of the penguins is insane ..

Lemieux, Crosby, and Rechi.

:laugh:

The first line of the penguins is insane ..

Lemieux, Crosby, and Rechi.

586345069[/snapback]

Time took its toll on the great ones legs but it would be nice to see.

He should lace them up again so he can hold the titles of owner, coach and player.  :D

That'll show Mario...

586345050[/snapback]

That would be insane!

I really hope he doesn't play again though. I think MJ kinda made his legacy a bit worse by coming back. Mario made a good choice by coming back but Gretzky is just such a legend he needs to let his records sit :)

• 2 weeks later...
I'd rather he coach a Canadian team... It just doesn't seem right in Phoenix, no offense :(

586343753[/snapback]

If you saw the girls in Phoenix, (in Tempe/Scottsdale) you would understand. :shifty:

Seriously though, Gretzky is a veteran and he probably wants to settle down in a place with great weather, lots of golf, a little privacy, and an abundance of over priced restaurants. Phoenix is pretty beautiful when its not Summer time.