Skinning MSN Explorer

I set up an internet kiosk for my grandparents a while back. Basically it's a Windows 2000 machine with MSN Explorer set as the shell. I did this so that there is less of a chance that they will have any problems with it. They will only use it for browsing and e-mail, so this setup works fine for them.

I have been wanting to make a new skin for MSN Explorer. However, after checking it out with resource hacker it appears that it's not possible to modify any of the UI elements on it. Has anyone else tried it? Any thoughts on whether this is possible?

All MSN Explores visual elements are in .mar files

ui.mar, themedef.mar, themedef24.mar, etc.

Kinda like how win xp stores some graphic elements in .dll files.

your right ethen but do you know how to open these ,mar i cant seam to find anything to explorer these files i have been try to for a year now and found nohtin:ermm:

Sorry, no I am unfamilliar with the .mar file type.

I only know simple resoucre librarys like .dll's and the such. Basically I know enough, that I know I dont know anyhting. :p

All I did was open themedef.mar in notepad by renaming it to .txt

It looks like it holds these files (names from with in the themedef.mar file)

1119.gif, 11206.gif, 11260.gif, about_bkgnd.bmp, about_title.bmp,

about_title_inactive.bmp, afternoon.wav, au_icon.bmp, au_watermark.bmp, begin.wav, bg_citysearch.gif, bg_weather.gif,

bottem-extra.gif, bottemfade.gif, browse_back.bmp, browse_forward.bmp, btmidbar.gif, ....

Anyway not to long of a list but it does go on for a bit more, including the close buttons, and minimize/maximize buttons.

Then the rest is scrambled code, the content in binary form I would guess.

It looks like though the entire UI is changable through those files, if you could replace the bitmaps and re compile the .mar files.

Prehaps maybe others here on neowin will have some idea how to extract the files or replace em.

It would be funny to msn-explorer simple, milk-explorer, msn-chosen, or any of the other many popular themes.

Would give all the original apple skin makers quite a heart attack.

Come on everyone,

there must be some way to hack this bitch, my girlfriend loves MSN Explorer because it is easy to use, i think it looks out of place with the rest of my system.

I WANT THIS BITCH CRACKED (please (pretty please))

Dont think anyone is really bothered about it sorry to say, no1 really uses this software although I think its good its a little bloated for what it is. Nice tho

I cannot be of much help Fozzieb. I have no clue whats up with these .mar files.

The only mention of them on the net has been as MS Acess Report files? Clearly something they are not.

They are not zip files or any other type of archive that can be easily extracted. Re naming them to zip thru command prompt, would be pointless as they would just show as being corupted zip archives. (Lacking needed .zip compression info to extract)

Osiris mentioned a few posts above he was gonna try a msn explorer skin. Would'nt that be something. He could make it look like the standard windows luna theme, and then use it with his xp msn explorer skin. Would make for a backwards screenshot.

lol

Indeed I have tried the rename, why, the resourcehacker, PE Explorer, nothing

whats the deal with .mar files?

I mean they store graphics yet you cant open it up?

Whats the deal with that?

Actually maybe they are like Visual Basic, one of those versions you cant hack the resources of the files. Damn easily unhackable files :s

i found msn core files a while back and they only have 1 icon in them the rest is crap nad im stuck in the same boat i can seam to get the .mar files to open with anything i use MSN and always wanted to skin it just dont know what to do with them danm files ill be sure to let you know if i can do anything

I think microsoft doesn't want anyone playing with em, because they also contain files like adspace.css, they must know if people can start changing there .mar files people will take out the ad mechanisms.

I think its that copy mar.exe that converts the binary themedef.mar for use in msn explorer, on load.

unhackable is pretty much right.

You'll be happy to know ive decompiled the format and im writing a program now to extract/recompact the files. Here's a rundown on the format if you wanted to know:

Header: 4D41 5243 0300 0000

Number of Files Contained (DWORD) : 7E01 0000

File Description (68 bytes) (x NOF's)

{

Filename (56 Bytes) :

3131 3139 392E 6769 6600 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000

Size of File (DWORD) :

C304 0000

CRC32 of the file (DWORD) :

63FB 6CEE

Position of Start (DWORD) :

8465 0000

}

Then each files data follows after.

I hope to see some nice MSN skins after I release the proggy, stay tuned ;)

Sweet. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out how the hell those .mar files worked. I wanted to start trying to see if I could use .mar like you do for dlls, for other projects.

It must be some kinda internal microsoft spec? The only other thing I could come up with for info on use of .mar was VAC stuff.

Congrats, are in order, as you have succesfully flushed out the msn theme specs. :)

Now its no worry if microsoft ever switches windows themes to a similiar method.

:)

I dont think they will take an active stance towards supporting skinning in MSN 8, it will be more like it is in XP.

Skinning may be possible, but for Microsft to support it, would be going against all the UI design guidelines they have set up.

They work hard at making sure use abilty is playing a strong role.

I think MSN8 skinning will be like it is with XP here at neowin and a number of other sites, user driven rather then something that dominated and run by microsoft.

It doesn't really matter what microsoft does or doesn't do, as we got people like oDD, using talent to further the customization movement.

update:

all working fine, the programs done and i can get every .html, .css, .gif, etc out of the files BUT when you recompile them SOME of the files are out of order (mine puts them in the correct order, microsoft have some weird sorting method). this shouldn't matter but for some reason microsoft seem to have hard coded the locations of the file descriptors for each file in every .mar file, if that makes sense. so there is no use releasing it if you can only read all the data out of the files and not put them back in properly. but i know a way to get around it and ill work on that maybe tommorow (its 4am here) ;)

night all...

msn.jpg

Originally posted by oDD

update:

all working fine, the programs done and i can get every .html, .css, .gif, etc out of the files BUT when you recompile them SOME of the files are out of order (mine puts them in the correct order, microsoft have some weird sorting method). this shouldn't matter but for some reason microsoft seem to have hard coded the locations of the file descriptors for each file in every .mar file, if that makes sense. so there is no use releasing it if you can only read all the data out of the files and not put them back in properly. but i know a way to get around it and ill work on that maybe tommorow (its 4am here) ;)

night all...

Awesome...I be looking forward to seeing what you can come up with. :D :D :D