[NHL] Bertz is BACK!

Canadian Press

8/8/2005 4:57:25 PM

NEW YORK (CP) - The NHL has reinstated Todd Bertuzzi.

The Vancouver Canucks star, who was suspended indefinitely by the NHL in March 2004 for attacking former Colorado Avalanche forward Steve Moore, is "immediately eligible" to return to the ice, the NHL announced Monday.

Commissioner Gary Bettman, noting Bertuzzi had been unable to play hockey anywhere during the lockout, said a 17-month suspension was "the appropriate sanction."

"I believe that Mr. Bertuzzi is genuinely remorseful and apologetic for his actions on March 8, 2004, and the consequences that have flowed from such actions," Bettman said.

But he warned Betuzzi that he was "on probation" for the 2005-06 season.

Source: TSN.ca

Well he's on probation but atleast he's back. I think they made the right decision.

i've been a bertuzzi fan for a while. what he did was certainly embarrassing and shameful. almost sickening. but, i don't believe he....ya know what? this been argued to death. i'm glad to see him back. he's an exciting player to watch and i'm sure he's learned his lesson.

lame.

586347916[/snapback]

troll. Anywho, im glad he's back, i think he and the rest of the NHL now know that the league isn't joking around when it comes to this type of behaviour

troll. Anywho, im glad he's back, i think he and the rest of the NHL now know that the league isn't joking around when it comes to this type of behaviour

586347925[/snapback]

He's not trolling if he's expressing his opinions on the topic.

586347925[/snapback]

far from trolling. i've expressed my point of this issue in the sports forum prior to this thread. I made it simple today.

586347925[/snapback]

i think his reinstatement shows us how much of a joke the NHL is when it comes to this type of behaviour. 17 months? give me a break

I'm glad this fiasco is almost over with, Bert is back good !

His buddy Brad May is now an Colorado Avalancher, hopefully he can calm this team down.

Bettman is trying his best too put a positive spin on NHL hockey and has one hell of a task in trying too win back the fans particularly in the USA where Nascar is kicking the NHL's ass for advertising revenue.

It should be interesting to see what happens this upcoming season.

But Bert is back, but will he stay with Vancouver ????

"The suspension cost Bertuzzi $501,926.39 in salary."

WOW.... now thats an aweful punishment :rolleyes:

I'm glad he's back. As usual, Avalanche fans made far too big a deal about it, as they do everything else. Too bad everyone failed to mention that Moore's broken neck was more likely caused by all those Avalanche players piling on top of Bertuzzi, driving Moore into the ice.

sorry when u take a sport to the point where break a guys neck you shouldnt be allowed in the sport again. It may have been unintentional but the shot was malicious. i guess if he killed the guy then those that root for him as a fan would feel he needs to be put out of the game. i am sure he was brought back because the NHL needs as many fans in the seats as possible and those that root for him will come to the arenas. i know they arent the same but he got suspended for the same length of time as rogers did, before the arbitraitor, and his acts led to some guy getting his vertabrae fused. i dont like it.

I'm glad he's back. As usual, Avalanche fans made far too big a deal about it, as they do everything else. Too bad everyone failed to mention that Moore's broken neck was more likely caused by all those Avalanche players piling on top of Bertuzzi, driving Moore into the ice.

586349510[/snapback]

Yeah, no one really wants to think like that lol, but I totally agree with you.

one more thing........ BERT IS BACK BABYYY!! Oh yeahhhh :p

586349510[/snapback]

For some reason I highly doubt that, considering the ferocity that Bertuzzi used to thrust Moore's head straight into the ice. I have a feeling he was in a world of pain before that, and that's likely when it was broken, although the other players didn't help it.

And the Avalanche fans aren't blowing it out of proportion... I'm a Red Wings fan and I was just as ****ed off as they were, and I can't stand them! Perhaps it's the Canucks fans who aren't taking it as seriously as they should simply because it was a player on their team.

Yeah, no one really wants to think like that lol, but I totally agree with you.

one more thing........ BERT IS BACK BABYYY!! Oh yeahhhh :p

586354569[/snapback]

Bert has paid his price, no longer punishment is gonna get Moore healthy again.

Time to Move On, One also has to take into account Berts best buddy (Brad May) is now an Avalanche.

For some reason I highly doubt that, considering the ferocity that Bertuzzi used to thrust Moore's head straight into the ice. I have a feeling he was in a world of pain before that, and that's likely when it was broken, although the other players didn't help it.

And the Avalanche fans aren't blowing it out of proportion... I'm a Red Wings fan and I was just as ****ed off as they were, and I can't stand them! Perhaps it's the Canucks fans who aren't taking it as seriously as they should simply because it was a player on their team.

586357994[/snapback]

You do have a point. Bertuzzi no doubt caused the concussion with that shot to the head, but as for the broken neck itself, only Moore would know that (assuming he was conscious).

Fans of teams with players that are accused of committing cheap acts will always jump in and say "no no that didn't happen" or something to that extent. Take Montreal. Ribeiro and Markov took pretty obvious dives, yet the Montreal faithful claimed they were viciously knocked down. I'm a huge fan, but I knew that Ribs and Markov took blatant dives. The only incident that I defended was the 2-handed slash that Kovalev took in the 03/04 Eastern Quarterfinal against Boston, when it wasn't called and Boston won that game in 2OT as a result of it.

We discussed this at length at work today. Our conclusion was that Bertuzzi should not be reinstated until such time that Moore can continue his career. I cannot see how that is unfair in any way shape or form. Someone stated the $500,000+ Bertuzzi lost during his suspension, but how does that make up for destroying someone elses career?

BTW, not an Av's fan, so not being a homer. Just don't see the point of slapping a known goon on the wrist for ruining someones career.

NHL NOTES

Victim upset by reinstatement

Wire Reports

Steve Moore is surprised the NHL reinstated Todd Bertuzzi, who had been suspended for a blindside punch that broke Morris' neck and gave him a concussion.

"It's difficult to see that he's able to play again when I still have a long way to go and, not just in hockey, but with my health," Moore said in Thursday's Denver Post.

On Monday, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman cleared Bertuzzi to play this season. Bertuzzi was suspended for the final 13 games of the 2003-04 regular season and the playoffs.

"I'm better than I was two months ago, better than I was six months ago, and certainly better than I was 17 months ago," said Moore, a former Colorado Avalanche forward.

He is working out in the gym and on the ice but still experiences occasional wooziness.

Moore said he hasn't heard from Bertuzzi. He has filed a lawsuit in Denver in which he has named Bertuzzi, former Vancouver Canucks forward Brad May - now with the Avalanche - Canucks coach Marc Crawford, former GM Brian Burke and Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment, owner of the Canucks.

Source: http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/hockey/12366540.htm

I don't think that's right. Bertuzzi should be suspended until Moore can play -- and from the sounds of it, that won't be too far off, so I think that's a fair punishment.

Moore is a whining little baby. I do believe he is hurt, but he is exagerating it greatly so he can sue. His career was going nowhere even before the incident. I guess he feels he can make more money in lawsuits than playing hockey. As far as him playing again, it won't be in the NHL. No team will touch him because everyone in the league knows he is exagerating to get money.

You have to be kidding me. The guy had is neck broken and his career in jeopardy. Just because people sue your favorite team because of that doesn't make him a whining little baby. It makes you and everyone like you an ass for not recognizing how serious of an issue that was, believing Bertuzzi when he had a public apology, and every other nonsensical thing mentioned in this thread. I agree with the people saying his suspension should be as long as Moore is out. That's a just and fair punishment for breaking a guy's neck on purpose. Something that is apparently not a big deal with most of you.