[NFL] Jason White "Retires"

If I recall didn't Eric Crouch pull this on the Lions a few years back?

586361986[/snapback]

I thought it was the Rams... or was that another time? I think he's done it with the Packers, Rams and maybe another team.

Just saw it on the ESPN ticker... can you even "retire" after not playing a game? Seems more like "quitting" to me :p

586361944[/snapback]

lol, i know. thats exactly what i thought. this guy has always been a joke.

you can't retire if you don't play. i don't even think he made a team. he was never signed by the chiefs, and was still fighting for a spot on the titans.

so yea, as a side note, i'm also announcing my retirement from the NFL.

I thought it was the Rams... or was that another time? I think he's done it with the Packers, Rams and maybe another team.

586362732[/snapback]

Yeah, you're right. Apparently he was around longer than I thought too.

Freddie Jones of the Panthers retiring was bigger than this. 2nd year in a row that they've had a high calibur player signed onto their team only to retire (Adam Meadows)

Yeah, well he retired because, as I said all along, he can't make it in the NFL. He doesn't have the knees (literally) to do so. I was never much of a fan of him when he played here at OU either. Sure he had a great arm and was for the most part very accurate, but that's only half the job of a QB now days. We've moved from a QB position that could strictly stay in the pocket and wait for a pass, to one that requires much more mobility and the ability to scramble if needed. While at OU, Jason White had an incredible offensive line that kept him protected for as long as he needed, but in the NFL, he wouldn't get that much time.

Although I thought people would hang me when I said it at school, I've said all along he's not as good as people say he is, and he will never make it in the NFL. I think it's a wise choice for him to give up while he's ahead rather than sitting on the bench for the rest of his life.

I do feel sorry for him though. I lived in the athletic dorms and spoke to him more than once, and I know he loves to play, so it's certainly not an easy decision for him to drop out like he's doing, but it's the best choice.

I also feel sorry for the other quarterbacks like Paul Thompson who sat behind Jason for so many years, and now unfortunately will never get much of a chance. I don't know that he was NFL material, but he certainly was good enough to be a college starter had he been given the chance when he was first brought in.

Oh well, I've gotten off topic. Anyway, good luck in life Jason.

When are we going to see an Oklahoma QB make it in the NFL?  First there's Josh Heupel, now Jason White.

586376851[/snapback]

I bet Rhett Bomar makes it if he starts this year or next at Oklahoma.

When are we going to see an Oklahoma QB make it in the NFL?  First there's Josh Heupel, now Jason White.

586376851[/snapback]

The majority of outstanding college players don't do well in professional. It's a completely different game. Just look at past Heisman trophy winners, a LOT of them did nothing at all after going pro.

if people didn't know he sucked after he choked in EVERY big game he played in...then i don't know what else to tell them.

586376196[/snapback]

I thought he was a great QB in college. I wouldn't go so far as to only blame White for the LSU and USC defeat.

don't forget the big12 championship game that one year too. who'd they lose to? KSU or something? and then they STILL went to the championship game.

oklahoma has single-handedly made the BCS look as bad as it does. OU should have had no part in either of their 2 appearances.

I thought he was a great QB in college.  I wouldn't go so far as to only blame White for the LSU and USC defeat.

586377688[/snapback]

Yea, the LSU defense he faced was bad ass, and the USC defense was pretty good too.

um, those teams had good d's, but if you actually watched the games, you know that jason just chokes under pressure. he played horrible, made horrible decisions, the opposing D gets some credit, but not all of it.

don't forget the big12 championship game that one year too.  who'd they lose to?  KSU or something?  and then they STILL went to the championship game. 

oklahoma has single-handedly made the BCS look as bad as it does.  OU should have had no part in either of their 2 appearances.

586377791[/snapback]

Yeah, Kansas State won that game 35-7, and they still went to the championship.

True....but the heisman trophy has become a joke.  It truly doesn't reward the best athlete....just the most prolific player on the best team anymore.

586377578[/snapback]

You bet check out this list of the past 10 years, you'd expect to see some big time NFL names as well, but that list is pretty thin.

2004 Matt Leinart USC (Quarterback) (We shall see...)

2003 Jason White Oklahoma (Quarterback) (Retired)

2002 Carson Palmer Southern California (Quarterback) (Still possibility)

2001 Eric Crouch Nebraska (Quarterback) (Gone)

2000 Chris Weinke Florida State (Quarterback) (Is he still in the league?)

1999 Ron Dayne Wisconsin (Running Back) (Uhuh, "Thunder", yeah whatever...)

1998 Ricky Williams Texas (Running Back) ("Pass the Dutchie on the left hand side...")

1997 Charles Woodson Michigan (Cornerback) (Good NFL player)

1996 Danny Wuerffel Florida (Quarterback) (I think he sold me my last Honda)

1995 Eddie George Ohio State (Running Back) (Good NFL Player)

Seriously jsut look over this list and show me that the Heisman is legitimate award? I know the games are different, but they are not so profoundly different that a Heisman winner shoul wash out of the league completely in one season? I bet less than half of the winners in the past 30 years had successful NFL careers. If you can find 10 guys on that list that were any good in the NFL I'll give you a dollar.

2000 Chris Weinke Florida State (Quarterback) (Is he still in the league?)

Tell that to his Preseason performance Sunday. Or the Fact that he's the Backup QB for Jake Delhomme in a Offense that now has a Different 2nd reciever than they've had since Mushin Started on the team.

Tell that to his Preseason performance Sunday. Or the Fact that he's the Backup QB for Jake Delhomme in a Offense that now has a Different 2nd reciever than they've had since Mushin Started on the team.

586380127[/snapback]

Hang on buddy! It was a real question not a sarcastic one, I really didn't know he was still on Carolina's roster. But the fact is he lost his starting spot to a guy from Louisiana-Lafayette, while he was a Heisman winner from Florida State. Point is, well, just how ppointless it is what school you go to and whether you win a big award. Just look at Terrell Davis from UGA (Go Dawgs!) drafted way, way down in the draft and still is talked about as being one of the greatest ever (or at least in the past few decades).

Hang on buddy!  It was a real question not a sarcastic one, I really didn't know he was still on Carolina's roster.  But the fact is he lost his starting spot to a guy from Louisiana-Lafayette, while he was a Heisman winner from Florida State.  Point is, well, just how ppointless it is what school you go to and whether you win a big award.  Just look at Terrell Davis from UGA (Go Dawgs!) drafted way, way down in the draft and still is talked about as being one of the greatest ever (or at least in the past few decades).

586380170[/snapback]

That's like saying Trent Green lost his job to a grocery bagger in St. Louis -- it may be true, but it's stupid to say because Trent Green obviously is still a more-than-competent NFL QB. You can't compare these things -- sometimes longshots make it. Sometimes highly-touted players don't pan out. Nothing is surefire in sports.