Fuel Efficiency

Ok, so I'm driving in top gear. I've always thought it's more efficient to drive slower but it also takes longer. So...

I've been thinking and I reckon that how fast you go makes no difference to your fuel efficiency. The time saved by going faster shouldn't save you any fuel compared to going less fast and taking more time.

Am I right? :huh:

Ok, so I'm driving in top gear. I've always thought it's more efficient to drive slower but it also takes longer. So...

I've been thinking and I reckon that how fast you go makes no difference to your fuel efficiency. The time saved by going faster shouldn't save you any fuel compared to going less fast and taking more time.

Am I right? :huh:

586414325[/snapback]

so i think there must be a reason when car-companies say:

this car needs 8 liters per 100 kilometers

and not

this car needs 8 liters per 1 hour :D

ERGO: when you drive your car in a higher gear, and at low speed, you need less fuel.

Tomo, that's what I have heard too - about the 57 mark in 5th.

I also turn off all my traction crontrol, steering enhancements, etc and I know it sounds silly, but this gets me a little extra mpg too.

But it boils down to this: Accellerating is what burns the most fuel. If you drive at a consistent speed, not burning off then braking, etc, you will get the best from your car.

The most efficient way to drive is to go as fast as you can until your car can't go any faster, then put it in neutral and turn the engine off.

I've always wanted to do that. :laugh:

The most efficient way to drive is to go as fast as you can until your car can't go any faster, then put it in neutral and turn the engine off.

586417460[/snapback]

That's really not the most efficient way of driving is it now... :p

586417460[/snapback]

Actually a modern engine uses approximately no fuel when idling. And cars use quite a bit of fuel starting up so its probably best not to do that.

i've wondered that too..

i've maximized my mpgs for school this year.. i do about 50 - 60mph everyday to school.

gas is $2.70 /gal - $20 a week = about 8gallons of gas..

40miles a week + 50 miles misc driving = 90 miles.. average 22MPG = thats about 4 Gal. for the week.. i think every two or three weeks i can skip i week of gas because i'll have enough.

basically, don't accelerate hard all the time, scan the road ahead and anticipate stops so that you can let off the gas and coast, and pick the best times for traveling. early in the morning, before traffic, or after traffic.

also, there's no need for AC if you're in California :happy:

586417460[/snapback]

Most cars the steering wheel would lock, even if your turned the key back part way you would have no power steering.

I go from 5th to neutral 100yds or so before stop signs and just coast...after all 17mpg isn't enough it's expensive :wacko:

Actually a modern engine uses approximately no fuel when idling. And cars use quite a bit of fuel starting up so its probably best not to do that.

586419622[/snapback]

no actually, from what i have heard, if you are going to stop for more then a minute it is more fuel efficient to shut off and start then idle.

no actually, from what i have heard, if you are going to stop for more then a minute it is more fuel efficient to shut off and start then idle.

586428116[/snapback]

but do you know how it would screw your starter if you did that every red light.