[CRICKET] Another Legend blasts Australia

Lillee, who took 167 wickets in 29 Ashes Tests from 1970 to 1983, said Australia were a team in decline with a number of players reaching the end of their careers together. "England are on top while Ricky Ponting's side are on a downhill run, coming towards the end of an extraordinary time when they have conquered everything in their path for many years," Lillee told The Mail on Sunday.
"This is a very good England side playing against a team containing some players reaching their sell-by date," said Lillee, whose tally of 355 Test wickets was a then-world record until beaten by Ian Botham in 1986.
"The pace of England's bowling has exposed technical problems caused by advancing years and playing against some mediocre attacks in recent times," Lillee said.
"Openers Justin Langer and Matthew Hayden are 34 and 33 respectively. Damien Martyn is 33, Adam Gilchrist 33 and Simon Katich is 30 today [sunday]. Batsmen cannot escape the problems caused by anno domini. That lack of sharpness is never more exposed than by a pace attack such as the blindingly quick one England have deployed."
"We are seeing one of the greatest contests of all time," Lillee said. "But what concerns me is that I am not sure we have the resources to maintain our standards when this side breaks up. This team has been together so long that a generation of players who could have played for Australia have been skipped. I don't see too many Michael Clarkes in the wings. I hope I'm wrong but I'll settle for Shaun Tait's promotion for now."

Source

:whistle: