[Review] Linksys WRT54GC

Linksys WRT54GC

? All-in-one Internet-sharing Router, 4-port Switch, and Wireless-G (802.11g) Access Point

? Shares a single Internet connection and other resources with Ethernet wired and Wireless-G and B devices

? Compact form factor fits in anywhere

? High security: Wi-Fi Protected Access? (WPA/WPA2 Personal), wireless MAC address filtering, powerful SPI fDescription:ption:

The Linksys Compact Wireless-G Broadband Router is really three devices in one small box. First, there's the Wireless Access Point, which lets you connect both screaming fast Wireless-G (802.11g at 54Mbps) and Wireless-B (802.11b at 11Mbps) devices to the network. There's also a built-in 4-port full-duplex 10/100 Switch to connect your wired-Ethernet devices together. Connect four PCs directly, or attach more hubs and switches to create as big a network as you need. Finally, the Router function ties it all together and lets your whole network share a high-speed cable or DSL Internet connection.

Once your computers are connected to the Router and the Internet, they can communicate with each other too, sharing a printer, digital music, picture and document files, and multi-player or on-line games.

To protect your data and privacy, the Wireless-G Broadband Router can encode all wireless transmissions with WEP or industrial-strength WPA Personal encryption. The Router can serve as a DHCP Server, has a powerful SPI firewall to protect your PCs against intruders and most known Internet attacks, and supports VPN pass-through. Configuration is a snap with the web browser-based configuration utility. And the tiny form factor fits any home or desktop.

With the Linksys Compact Wireless-G Broadband Router at the center of your home or office network, you can share a high-speed Internet connection, files, printers, and multi-player games with the flexibility, speed, and security you nInside the Box:e Box:

-WRT54GC Router

-Power Cable/Transformer

-1 Ethernet Cable

- Setup CD w/ Norton Internet Security 60-Day Trial

- Installation Guide

-RegistratioAbout the Router:outer:

Model Number: WRT54GC

Standards: IEEE 802.3, IEEE 802.3u, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11b

Channels: 11 Channels (US, Canada, Australia) 13 Channels (Europe)

Ports/Buttons:

Internet: One 10/100 RJ-45 Port.

LAN: Four 10/100 RJ-45 Switched Ports.

One Power Port, One SMA Port,

One Reset Button.

Cabling Type: UTP CAT 5.

LED?s: Power, Internet, Wireless, Ethernet (1,2,3,4)

Security Features: Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) Firewall, Internet Policy.

Wireless Security: Wi-Fi Protected Access? (WPA/WPA2 Personal), WEP, Wireless MAEnvironmental:ronmental:

Dimensions (W x H x D): 3.86? x 3.86? x 0.98? (98mm x 98mm x 25mm).

Unit Weight: 4.97 oz (0.141kg)

Power: External 3.3v DC, 2.0A

Certifications: FCC, IC-03, CE, Wi-Fi (802.11b, 802.11g), WPA.

Operating Temp: 0c-40c (32F-104F)

Storage Temp: -20c-70c (-4F-158F)

Operating Humidity: 20%-80% Non-Condensing

Storage Humidity: 10%-90% Non-Condensing.

WarrantySet-Up: ed.

Set-Up:

Setting up the router was straight forward; just plug your internet Ethernet cable from your modem to the ?Internet? port on the router. Then just plug in the cables from your PC?s to the router in the designated ports on the router. For further configuration you can open up a web browser and type in 192.168.1.1 (The default IP address for the WRT54GC) and go though the easy to use web utility to add wireless proteTest Machine: tc.

Test Machine:

Firstly the 1337 PC of mine:

AMD 1700+ (1.4 Ghz)

MSI K7T266 Pro Mobo

512MB DDR RAM

GeForce 2 MX 400

20GB HDD

NEC 2500A DVD/RW

Standard Ethernet Port on Motherboard

And secondly my Laptop:

Compaq Presario 2500 Laptop

3.0Ghz P4 CPU

512MB RAM

CB54G MSI WirelTest 1: Rangeard.

Test 1: Range

The range on the router isn?t as great as my previous WRT54G router. This is mostly because of the inbuilt antenna (You sacrifice range for a small compact size router). In the same room of my house I had 100% Signal I had no dead spots with the laptop while walking around the lower story of my house, even in different rooms. Walking up the stairs onto the second level of my house was a different story, directly above the router is my bedroom which got excellent signal strength. But after moving into the other side of the house caused it to drop the connectionTest 2: Speed5Mbps.

Test 2: Speed

Speeds with the laptop (via wireless) was great. The Windows Network Connection status stated it was 54Mbps. I transferred/copied a 1.4GB file to my PC in a couple of minutes. Ethernet speed was also comparable to my old WRT54G router,Conclusion: essly.

Conclusion:

It is a great small form factor router which has a lot of neat features. The only problem I found with this router is the range as I could easily maintain 11Mbps on the second level in my housePros:om the router.

Pros:

Very small (will fit anywhere you put it), Easy to set-up/Use, Power pack is a lot smaller/lighter then WRT54G?s, able to attach external antenna, Very nice wireless speeds when not too far away form the router.Cons:eeds also great.

Cons:

Too small for it?s own good sometimes, the weight of the Ethernet cables from my ADSL modem and PC cause it to be dragged down to the ground. I had to use masking tape to hold the cables higher.

WRT54GC isn?t based on Linux like the WRT54G is, and therefore has little chance of 3rd party firmware upgrade like the WRT54G is famous for. Wireless range isn?t too great compared Images: still does the job.

Small:

wrt54gcsmall0ms.th.jpg

Large:

wrt54gcgigantor4td.th.jpg

Images also attached for those n00bs in 2 years time wanting to see the images and post here while imageshack.us is long gone.

[/b]0%'>Overall I give it a 9/10

WRT54GC.zip

Nice review. I was actually just looking at this thinking of buying it for my new laptop.

It's on sale at Bestbuy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?Ca...24&type=product

Not sure about the size (may be too small) and the range. I setup my neighbors place with a wireless network for his laptop for $10 more and his router is 200 feet away and I can pick up the network.

Nice review. I was actually just looking at this thinking of buying it for my new laptop.

It's on sale at Bestbuy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?Ca...24&type=product

Not sure about the size (may be too small) and the range. I setup my neighbors place with a wireless network for his laptop for $10 more and his router is 200 feet away and I can pick up the network.

586433688[/snapback]

Damn, thats a good price. Should have gotten from the US. But wouldn't know how much it would cost me if something went wrong and I would have to return it. :unsure:

any idea if this is compatible with xlink kai as the wrt54g is?  i was looking at upgrading my existing netgear router and was very interested in this one.

586435009[/snapback]

I think it should as XLink Kai is software on a computer and doesn't have anything to do with the hardware you have (As the hardware is all standards based it shouldn't be any different from your netgear one or a WRT54G). I might be wrong though..

I think it should as XLink Kai is software on a computer and doesn't have anything to do with the hardware you have (As the hardware is all standards based it shouldn't be any different from your netgear one or a WRT54G). I might be wrong though..

586437295[/snapback]

i was thinking more along the lines of flashing it with the wrt54g firmware that allows you to run kaistation without the need of a pc?

i was thinking more along the lines of flashing it with the wrt54g firmware that allows you to run kaistation without the need of a pc?

586439501[/snapback]

Ahhh I wouldn't know then, the source code for this router isn't going to be released to my knowlage. So I don't think theres going to be a chance of that.

I had this router for about a day. Everytime I would refresh my game server list with ASE I would get kicked offline and the router would reboot. Had all the latest firmwares. Returned it and picked up a WRT54G and everything is fine now.

is it possible to run it as a WAP and Switch at the same time?

586489281[/snapback]

Yeah of course, why not?

just wanted to make sure.

i bought the printer server w/ built-in 4 port switch, thinking it could operate as a WAP...but seeing as how it can't, i had to change it for seperate 5 port swtich and wireless access point.

i think i'll go trade it in for this.