Sony Calls DS 'Gimmick'

I really can't get into the DS. I mean why wouldn't they just make a powerful handheld like sony. If you don't call the touch screen a gimmic what is it called. They don't make a better handheld than sony so what do they do put something on it that makes it gamer attractive.

I dunno ... I tried both the DS and PSP before I finally purchased the PSP. I just didn't like the overall design and feel of the DS. I would much prefer the PSP. So far I have purchased two games, and I'm waiting for an RPG or a good FPS, but in the meantime the games I have are keeping me busy. I just like the fact that you can download music, movies, and pictures to your PSP and that keeps me coming back to it and using it pretty much everyday. I think if I had the DS I would use it, but not as much as I use the PSP.

you know,

I love my PSP even though I'm a major supporter of the DS.

I think the PSP will be a success due to the pirate games you'll be able to play (are able to play)

I believe thats what made the PS famous, the amount of pirate games available.

But even though I really want to play the PSP in my heart, I just dont have anything to do with it.

I usually watch videos when i'm on the train, but I go on the train once every 2-3 months.

Then there's the beauty factor.

I'm so afraid of scratching it (even with a case) and I hate to look at it with fingerprints that I dont want to touch it.

With the DS, I dont give a crap so I play it more often.

I agree 110% with Sony. The touch screen on the DS is a gimmick and nothing more. Nintendo needs to start making some good games, because, c'mon, Nintendogs? WTF is Nintendogs?

586446541[/snapback]

Your saying that Nintendo needs to start making good games when they are pratically raping the Japanese charts? What other developer/publisher is doing as well as them? It's pretty funny that Sony is caling the DS a gimick when it has been pretty much a disaster for Sony, especially software-wise, since the beginning of this year.

Dengeki Handheld Rankings

#3 DS Jump Super Stars

#4 DS Yawaraka Atamajuku

#5 DS Brain Training DS

#14 DS Power Pocket Koushien

#18 PSP Gundam

#19 DS Nintendogs Shiba

#21 DS Naruto RPG 2

#22 PSP Drum Expert

#28 DS Nintendogs Dachs

#29 DS Nintendogs Chihuahua

#31 DS Sawaru Made in Wario

#37 DS Rockman 5DS EXE

#40 DS Super Mario 64 DS

#41 DS YuGiOh! Nightmare Troubadour

#42 DS Touch! Kirby

Games (all consoles) longest on the Top 50 Chart this week

1. #33 GBA Pokemon Emerald (9/16/04)

2. #40 DS Super Mario 64 DS (12/2/04)

2. #31 DS Sawaru Made in Wario (12/2/04)

4. #42 DS Touch! Kirby (3/24/05)

5. (#19, #28, #29) DS Nintendogs (4/21/05)

6. #5 DS Brain Training DS (5/19/05)

6. #44 PS2 Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (5/19/05)

8. #6 GBA Beatle Mushi King (6/23/05)

9. #43 GCN Chibi Robo! (6/23/05)

10. #4 DS Yawaraka Atamajuku (6/30/05)

nuff ta make you sound like a total dick maybe yeah.

how about this...

if you are interested in good games = DS or PSP.

Fact is... you can't brush the systems with the simplistic view's you have done. Both DS and PSP have childrens and older content on them. The DS offers something the PSP simply can't compete with, and the same is said for PSP.

if you are between the ages 7 & 16 = DS

if you are older = PSP

nuff said

586446634[/snapback]

I agree that the DS beats Sony hands down... in Japan that is. With the amount of games that actually come out in the US though, its a close one. If we were to get half the good Japanese games over here then things ywould be different. Then again the same goes for the PSP, which is also getting much more Japanese game response.

uhmmm yea ozzycat ur a bit off though, i think u meant to say PSP has a lil bit of childrens content and DS has a lil bit of older content.

see the difference.

"if you are interested in good games = DS or PSP." i totaly agree with that.

just as u'll agree that DS has mostly childish games which is exactly what i was trieng inderectly to say in my last comment.

Sony is known for 2 things: Overcharging their products and building products that are designed to break. How many people bought 2 or 3 more PS2's after they kept breaking compared to GameCube/Xbox owners? My PS2 lags like crazy, and the PSP has no appeal to me. DS all the way.

I agree that the DS beats Sony hands down... in Japan that is. With the amount of games that actually come out in the US though, its a close one. If we were to get half the good Japanese games over here then things ywould be different. Then again the same goes for the PSP, which is also getting much more Japanese game response.

586446725[/snapback]

Unfortunately for Sony it does not look like they are going to have anything to compete with when Pokemon Diamond and Pearl are released in the US at the beginning of next year so I doubt it wil be a close race much longer. GTA: LS may be their only savior in the US, but definitely no overseas.

The world-wide hardware sales may be close, but software sales between the two is a whole other story and that is where the money is made.

Edited by jmole

Just because you can point and say the games aesthetics are generally geared towards kids does not mean it lacks in gameplay or innovation, movies on UMD seem much more like a gimmick to me.

Sony is afraid of nintendo and rightfully so, pokemon was huge in japan and when it came here it was also a huge success. Same thing is happening in japan now with nintendogs and they have alredy been flying off the shelves everywhere around where I live.

Sony better have a better plan than calling the DS a gimmick

I admit to be a Nintendo fanboy, and I have to admit that the touch screen can be a gimmick in SOME games, like Mario 64, where it's tough as hell to control using it. However, to categorize the whole system as a gimmick it's just plain stupid, I mean, there are some great games out and soon to come that use it in many, many wonderfull ways, ways you could not experience before in, say, a PDA, due to them not being a gaming platform.

Hell, even Nintendogs, which I originally hated for it's overly cuteness, has me thinking about it a lot, and to tell you the truth, I can't wait to buy it, play it, and show it to my family, and the ways you can interact with it so naturally.

I hate the way Sony likes to trash talk the competition, and endorsing the stupid idea that they're consoles are hot and others are dumb. And I have to say, that type of attitude can make some gamers, like me, hate their consoles as well, and thus loose potential buyers. For example, other than Revolution, I might pick another console to have the best of all worlds, however, Sony, with all they're arrogance and trash talk, has just lost me, making me want a 360 instead, which looks to be cheaper, just as powerfull, and with a better philosophy than the PS3. That is, of course, only my opinion.

EDIT: And I'll take better games and no load times over bettergraphics and all the added media stuff any day. End of rant :p

lol, this thread is funny :)

Get the one you think is more fit for you.

ex:

if you are between the ages 7 & 16 = DS

if you are older = PSP

nuff said

586446634[/snapback]

Um, since when was playing games that are FUN considered to be kiddy?

Irony. the makers of the PSP calling the DS a gimmick. Their whole company is a gimmick.

Just because you can point and say the games aesthetics are generally geared towards kids does not mean it lacks in gameplay or innovation, movies on UMD seem much more like a gimmick to me.

Sony is afraid of nintendo and rightfully so, pokemon was huge in japan and when it came here it was also a huge success. Same thing is happening in japan now with nintendogs and they have alredy been flying off the shelves everywhere around where I live.

Sony better have a better plan than calling the DS a gimmick

586446841[/snapback]

You're right with the UMD movies being a gimmick, thats all they are. Its funny when I go out to Blockbuster or Zellers, the only two stores in town that carry PSP stuff and they tell me that they're only sold around a dozen UMD movies since the PSP was launched. Its nothing but a waste of money.

True there are N64 remakes on the DS, but there are far more original titles on the DS than there are original titles on the PSP. Especially since you have to play the game differently on the DS than you could on the N64. I mean look at Wario Ware Touched and Nintendogs. Those are games we never saw on N64. (Granted wario was on gameboy but not in the same way).

586439670[/snapback]

PSP does not have the same exact games as the PS2 they are tot. differant now it is possable for them to port over some games but they wont the PSP is all orignal games. now the PSP has True Wifi support 99.8% of ther games are Wifi able for multiplayer gameing at any hot spots. the PSP now can surf the inetrnet and mucth more. you can wtahc moveis and all of that the PSP also can do better graphics in soem cases then the PS2 but rather it has better tehcnolagy to spice up hwo games cna be made and used for its capabilties.

Honestly, who cares, handhelds are too much of a pain, and Mr. Smart Nintendo keeps coming out with new handhelds every... YEAR? Its a waste of money, last nintendo item I purchesed was a Gameboy color... Its sitting in my basement somewere collecting dust.

DS and PSP both have crap games so they are dust collecters.  Next!

586447355[/snapback]

so what type of games do you like if they have sucky games what type would you like cause iam sure sony has some games of your likeing up ther sleevs

Sony is known for 2 things: Overcharging their products and building products that are designed to break. How many people bought 2 or 3 more PS2's after they kept breaking compared to GameCube/Xbox owners? My PS2 lags like crazy, and the PSP has no appeal to me. DS all the way.

586446756[/snapback]

Er... Bought a PS2 a year after it came out and it's still working perfectly. It's not that Sony makes bad products, it's that people can't handle taking care of it. You drop it 5 times, then it breaks and you blame it on Sony. It's the most delicate of the current systems but if you take care of it, it won't break. And I've never had a Disk Read Error either.

ive always had my trust in Sony as a company (probably got it from my dad :blink:) and theyve never failed on me, and are quality products IMO. sorry to ppl who have had problems with them.. but yeah Sony are contradicting themselves, but they are trying to make up lost ground and 'make' fun of the rival company, its marketing...

The Sony executives are such pricks.

If the PSP is so great, why did I sell mine? ........ Oh yeah, cause it has like FIVE GAMES!! lol.. :x

Edited by Matrix XII

The Sony executives are such pricks.

If the PSP is so great, why did I sell mine? ........ Oh yeah, cause it has like FIVE GAMES!! lol..  :x

586447647[/snapback]

i guess ya couldant wait for all the hacks for it then. right now PSP can run almost any X86 Os emulaed but runs it can surf the internet stream videos and audio via memorey card or wirless it can watch movies play MP3s it can be used a a remote control it cna do so many thing and right now ther is maby 15 games or so out.

i guess ya couldant wait  for all the hacks for it then. right now PSP can run almost any X86 Os emulaed  but runs  it can surf the internet  stream videos and audio via memorey card or wirless it can watch movies  play MP3s it can be used a  a remote control  it cna do so many thing and right  now ther is maby 15 games  or so out.

586447681[/snapback]

Why would anyone with an iPod, a laptop, or a good cell phone need all that crap? What a waste of time.