• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

.DMG Files?

iFinale    0

I was just trying em out... like e.g. MSN for MAC 5.0, after i install it, everytime i run it, a MSN MESSNEGER file has to be mounted and shown on the desktop?

also if that's the case, i can delete the .dmg file after installation rite?

semifamous    0

You open the DMG file, copy the file inside to your Applications folder, then delete the DMG if you don't want it.

cowlick    0

You need to copy (i.e. drag) the file to your hard drive and then you can eject the virtual disk and trash the disk image (the dmg file).

iFinale    0

thanks heaps guys :) in that case, it wouldn't be left on my desktop agen?

Vice    1,593

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=358755

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=280510

Simple search would have brought these two results up that explain how to do this, I answered a thread about this just last week in fact. Normally I wouldn't moan about searching but when its just one question where there is only one answer searching is the best and fastest way for you to get the answer you wanted without cluttering the Mac section. ;)

iFinale    0

sorry :)

so i guess it's different for some apps.... limewire generated it's own application in my harddisk and i didnt need to drag that "install limewire" application inside after all... o_O

John S.    359

Some will do that for you, others will require you to drag the app to your apps folder as described above. And yet others may be a .sit or .zip (just think zip) file that are compressed folders.

Xtreme $niper    51

Right some will do it for you, but most will make you drag it yourself. What you should do though is drag it to your Applications folder (found in the Finder on the left side) and then eject the dmg file. You wont need to mount anything after that point, and the new program will be listed as an installed program.