Self destructing DVD players

Blu-ray player are going to be able to be remotely disabled if hacks are found.

On top of that, consumers should expect punishment for tinkering with their Blu-ray players, as many have done with current DVD players, for instance to remove regional coding. The new, Internet-connected and secure players will report any "hack" and the device can be disabled remotely.

Full Article

Alister

"A hacked player is any player that is doing something it's not supposed to do," Setos said, adding the jury was still out if regional coding would be maintained or scrapped

I hope they scrap region coding. If they don't and this news is common knowledge, I can see a lot of people not buying the players.

Sounds like a good enough reason to not plug the blasted thing into the phone jack if you ask me. On top of that, imagine the target that would make to a hacker... bring down everybodies player. Man, I was reading about this some weeks ago, and it's not sounding any better now that some time has gone by hehe. Think about the returns to Walmart. How long will they put up with THAT nonsense? This just looks like a lame horse ready to leave the gate to me. It'll fly like a brick.

Edited by Treefrog