Superdome coming down?

Did anybody else just see that during the halftime of the Miami/Florida State game they were talking about the superdome and that it was gonna be torn down?

I am trying to find something about it online. But it was Ted Coppel doing a report on NOLA during halftime, when he said it. :huh: :o

The only thing that was seriously affected was the roofing on the dome (i haven't been watching much of the coverage lately, unless something else came up *shrug*), but the rest of the building i think is still structurally sound... afterall it's a huge concrete structure.

Yea thats what I was thinking, but Coppel said and I qoute "...and the Superdome where you have broadcast so many of your Monday night football games, that I am told is coming down."

So who knows I guess we should know more in the near future.

It should be torn down, it cost more than a billion bucks to build and maintain, its a big stadium, but compared to the modern stadiums, the Superdome, suxxx. Louisiana can do better than that. Hopefully now the Saints will get a new stadium, they treating to leave it the state don't help them get one.

After seeing that footage of the washrooms...I would just nuke it and build a new one. That thing is one big giant biohazard.

586483999[/snapback]

If you go with that analogy, then who city needs to be wiped off and rebuilt. Any part that is under water is a biohazard with raw sewage in the water, dead bodies in the houses and on the streets. I feel bad for the ppl that were there and then also the ppl that have to go in and clean the city up, that is gonna be one long and nasty job.

On a side note, maybe Mike Rowe should film one of his Dirty Job episodes there. :whistle:

i couldn't find anything online either. pretty big sports news though....the superdome was just home to a lot of big things right? NCAA football championship and superbowl.

i couldn't find anything online either.  pretty big sports news though....the superdome was just home to a lot of big things right?  NCAA football championship and superbowl.

586484098[/snapback]

Yea there was alot of things at the Superdome. Nokia Sugar Bowl is played there along with some other college bowl, cant think of the name right now. Six Super Bowls, Thousands of concerts, as well as alot of other events.

Closest I could find:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9209518/

586484216[/snapback]

I am at a loss of words over what that selfish egotistical a-hole of an owner is thinking of doing. I cant believe he woudl do that to NOLA especially have a major event like this hurricane. If I was Paul Tagliabue I woudl block any and every attempt to permantly move the Saints out of NOLA.

I never understood why in the south we need domes... then in the north its a majority of open stadiums... you'd think it would be the other way around, but what ever... I don't like domes.. Just seems dumb to cover a field especially in the south where it is generally warm in football season.. yes I know dual usage.. but still..

The last thing Lousiana needs to worry about right now is building a new billion dollar stadium when they have lots of other places that money could be going.

The last thing Lousiana needs to worry about right now is building a new billion dollar stadium when they have lots of other places that money could be going.

586484275[/snapback]

That is true, but the stadium is one major thing that can and does make the city/state tons of money every year.

586484275[/snapback]

In some ways though, it is symbolic. The Superdome was at the centre of the crisis. I think it should be rebuilt bigger and better.

I do agree with the statement about southern states not needing a domed roof for normal weather but it probably helped during Katrina.

That is true, but the stadium is one major thing that can and does make the city/state tons of money every year.

586484315[/snapback]

Exactly. The Dome helps to bring in millions of dollars to our local economy. The state can barely afford to keep the Saints, much less build a new stadium.

After seeing that footage of the washrooms...I would just nuke it and build a new one. That thing is one big giant biohazard.

586483999[/snapback]

Just out of morbid curiosity, do you have that video anywhere?

If you go with that analogy, then who city needs to be wiped off and rebuilt. Any part that is under water is a biohazard with raw sewage in the water, dead bodies in the houses and on the streets. I feel bad for the ppl that were there and then also the ppl that have to go in and clean the city up, that is gonna be one long and nasty job. 

On a side note, maybe Mike Rowe should film one of his Dirty Job episodes there.  :whistle:

586484016[/snapback]

Isnt like half of New Orleans being bulldozered anyway :no:

I heard the quote, too. Personally I was more shocked at the moving to San Antonio thing. As much as Haslett may say it's nonsense, it's been considered for quite some time. But whoever leaked and/or fabricated this story picked really bad timing. This shouldn't be on the minds of people right now.

I never understood why in the south we need domes... then in the north its a? majority of open stadiums... you'd think it would be the other way around, but what ever... I don't like domes.. Just seems dumb to cover a field especially in the south where it is generally warm in football season.. yes I know dual usage.. but still..

586484253[/snapback]

I think probably for more usage such as concerts and stuff....also the humidity in the south is INSANE...the temps will be like 96, but the humidity makes it feel around 110-120 degrees. :wacko:: I'm only in southern VA and our heat index will get up above 100-105 fairly often...I can't imagine New Orleans.

Yep! I would bet ALL future stadiums in the southern and southwest US will be of the retractable roof design.

It's just too Hot and/or Humid most of the year for anything else.

Houston was smart, they built both their new stadiums with retractable roofing, New Orleans and the State of Louisiana would be wise to do the same, given the proximity to the ocean is nearly the same as Houston.

Mr Benson has wanted a new stadium for a long time now, the Superdome was built over 30 years ago and doesn't have those high revenue "Luxury suites" that are need in today's sporting economy. But then again, the Alamodome doesn't have as many as it needs either. :pinch:

Guess we will have to wait and see what happens with the Saints, but getting the city of New Orleans (as well as all of southern Louisiana and Mississippi) back to "normal" is priority number one, as far as I'm concerned. :yes:

Superdome likely to be torn down

Governor reportedly says it was too badly damaged during Katrina to repair

The roof of the New Orleans Superdome is seen damaged after hurricane Katrina struck Louisiana

The roof to the Superdome was damaged by Hurricane Katrina.

Marc Serota / Reuters

NBCSports.com news services

Updated: 9:10 p.m. ET Sept. 6, 2005

The Louisiana Superdome was so heavily damaged during Hurricane Katrina and its aftermath that it likely will have to be torn down, CNN.com reported Tuesday, citing a a spokesperson for Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco.

Katrina sheared away much of the roof's covering, and water leaked into the stadium when it was used as a shelter for thousands of stranded residents.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9233606/

i think they will move the saints, to what i know the saints had low atentence and not making alot of money(for the owner). the owner wanted to move the saints.

they should put the the saints in diff cities untill the NO has a stadium done.