Boxing: Calzaghe V Ashira

Just watching the Joe Calzaghe Vs Evans Ashira fight, and the commentator said that it is Ashira's 1st fight at super middleweight. How can you fight your career at one weight and then get a title fight at a different weight? This cannot be right, he (Ashira) is getting hammered at the moment. He should not be fighting for a world title when he hasn't fought at the weight before. Calzaghe has been champion for the last 8 years.

You should have to fight others at the weight before you fight for the championship, to prove you can fight at the weight.

For all those that are anti-boxing : **** OFF! It clearly states boxing in the thread title and I don't want your opinion.

thats a very good point dude, maybe Ahira prooved he was too good at his previous weight before moving on to fight Calzaghe. However Calzaghe may be training to fight someone in the near future and this match is just a warm up....

Well, Calzaghe won on points with one broken hand. It was supposed to be a warm up of sorts for a fight with Jeff Lacy in November. This fight may not happen at all now (and definately not in November).

He took this fight because Lacy took a fight against Robin Reid last month as a warm up. Now he broke his hand and now may miss out on a defining fight in his career as Lacy is considered to be the main challenger to his 8 year reign.

For all those that are anti-boxing : **** OFF!  It clearly states boxing in the thread title and I don't want your opinion.

586506562[/snapback]

NO NEED TO WRITE ABUSE AT FELLOW NEOWINIANS!

Just an FYI, Calzaghe got to 'choose' his opponent. His handlers 'picked' a soft touch or tomato can to pound which guaranteed a victory. That way he doesnt screw up a match with Lacy. I personally dont think they will ever fight because normally foreign champs (even Calzaghe) have been known to shy away from travelling to the US and taking tough fights.

Just an FYI, Calzaghe got to 'choose' his opponent. His handlers 'picked' a soft touch or tomato can to pound which guaranteed a victory. That way he doesnt screw up a match with Lacy. I personally dont think they will ever fight because normally foreign champs (even Calzaghe) have been known to shy away from travelling to the US and taking tough fights.

586510436[/snapback]

I know they got to choose the opponent, but the governing bodies should put rules in place that state that you need to have proved yourself at the weight before you can be in a title fight. People are moving up weights to fight for the easiest title and it is all money orientated. The holder of the ****iest title (IBO?) won't turn down big money to fight a big name from a lower weight class (John Ruiz v Roy Jones). There are good boxers out there that never get the chance because of these 'political' bouts.

The problem is that youre making it sound like its the challenger's fault for getting a shot. He was asked to fight Calzaghe to be a stepping stone.

The big clean up in boxing may never happen, and its not just forcing fighters to take fights with your actual real #1 contender. Its about healthcare, retirement plans, etc etc. Something all other major sports benefits from. Keeping boxing alive is also a challenge in itself. Believe me, its the only sport I watch.

On another note, the real news of the weekend was the Morales/Raheem upset. Now that is boxing.