Yellow Dog Linux

Hrm, I pose an interesting question to you, the uber-linux geeks, of Neowin. Hehe, anyways, I own an iBook G4 and I know it's possible to run linux (Yellow Dog Linux) on the PPC platform. Anyways, I was wondering whether most programs will work on different architectures. I was looking into TransGaming Technologies "Cedega" which allows users to run Windows games. Hypothetically I could play Half-Life 2, probably not the greatest looking on my 9550, on my Macintosh.

Is this possible, would be my question.

Thanks,

anthony

I am holding back on Linux for several reasons.

1. no wireless

2. no sound

3. probably thermal issues due to cooling problems

of this I have confirmed #1 & #2 using ubuntu live CD and hence decided to stay away from it for now.

I am a gentoo user and I have some comments about your list.

1. no wireless

Yes wireless does work on linux, some adapters I believe have problems setting up but for the most part it work fine.

2. no sound

ALSA? I have sound working just fine, I can watch movies, play music and games. I got it workin in gnome and KDE very quickly. I have an Audigy 1 sound card.

???

Generally linux programs are either pre-compiled for different architectures and if you download the source it should work for anyway architecture that your running. If the code is 100% ANSI compatible.

For cedega I would check the forums but you can download the source for free and compile it and it should work just fine. Getting the game to run might be a pain.

Good luck.

Most apps will have been compiled for your PPC archetecture if using YDL. The binaries aren't compatible (between x86 and PPC), but the sources are just compiled for a different target (x86 vs PPC).

Cedega (and wine) take the Windows binaries (whether for notepad, minesweeper, or WoW) and translate the APIs from Windows to *nix. The code is the same, since it is for the x86 platform. And that is why wine and Cedega are not available for the PPC platform (and won't work). You will need to take the x86 binaries and make them run on a non-x86 CPU, and that takes a lot of true emulation. Not an easy task, and it sucks up a lot of overhead. :(

Now, when (if?) Apple releases x86-based Macs, then things like wine and Cedega will make sense.

I am holding back on Linux for several reasons.

1. no wireless

2. no sound

of this I have confirmed #1 & #2 using ubuntu live CD and hence decided to stay away from it for now.

586509595[/snapback]

Don't let stuff like this keep you from trying Linux. I have installed Linux on several notebooks (Gateway and Dell) and I have wireless, sound, and no thermal issues on any of them. I use Mandriva 2005 LE, SuSE 9.2 Pro, and others. They are fast and work flawlessly! The issue here is that distros vary wildly in their initial hardware support. Some configure most everything out of the box. Others require more user's input and manipulation. You just have find the distro that is right for you...... be it x86 or PPC.

Barney