[?] help with shared printer on xp

Hi all,

I have a system with XP Home on it, with a wireless router and an hp 2550 printer attached and shared.

my friend has an apple powerbook, that connects to the router and can see my shared drives ok.

I have shared the printer but i can not get the apple to see the printer, how do i go about this?

cheers.

I'm not sure about that particular model, but I know that some of HP's printers don't support being shared over the network (which is really stupid, IMHO). I know that my PSC 1350 doesn't.

When you are adding the printer are you selecting 'microsoft windows network' rather than what can just be seen in the appletalk zone? I select my windows network and it comes up with the names of all my windows machines, double click that and it lists the shared printers it has... easy as pie. thats for an hp photosmart 7150

When you are adding the printer are you selecting 'microsoft windows network' rather than what can just be seen in the appletalk zone? I select my windows network and it comes up with the names of all my windows machines, double click that and it lists the shared printers it has... easy as pie. thats for an hp photosmart 7150

586514153[/snapback]

that could be it, i dont even know how to do that though, is it under applications?

hi again,

When i go in to the windows network then on to the xp home system, there are no printers listed, it is just blank.

the printers are there on a windows system though.

any ideas?

are you using XP Home or Pro?

cheers

LOL...My $38 HP 656c shares over network fine. Why would they not allow sharing??

586513240[/snapback]

I really don't know. I used to have a 656c as well (still have it, but don't feel like paying more for the ink than I did for the printer) and it did work, but for some reason, the drivers for the all-in-one printers don't allow you to share over the network.

ok, it still no work.

I have now installed the printer on to a xp laptop and shared it on that,

on the apple it now can see the printers on the xp laptop over wireless network.

but, when i try to print to it i get the following error

NT_STATUS_NO_MEMORY

any ideas?

Cheers.

I used to have the same problem with my printer. It would be on my mac, and my windows machines wouldnt accept it, just kept asking for drivers(which I provided) and it wouldn't work. Later I got it to work but then it would really slow down my system if I would print something off the other machine.

So I just bought a network printer and, bam. Works like a charm :) I dont know what HP's deal is, they didnt seem to care when I called them about the problem.

I'm having a similar issue trying to print from my Mac to my Canon printer hooked up to my Xp Pro Rig.. I installed it several times, but to no avail...I always get some sort of timeout or something of the like... i just transfer the files to the Xp Box and print from there... I even tries installed the Bonjour for Windows, but iti s only good for printing to ap rinter hooked up to a Mac, not the other way around...

I don't feel inclined to do this because my Mac is a laptop which isn't on all day long and I constantly move, so it would be a hassle to hook the printer up to the Mac. I'll just keep on doing what i do now: move the files to the Pc and print from there (heck, I can even use the remote desktop to use the PC and print without ever touching the PC. It's slow, but it does the job)