Installing FC4 on Win2K professional

Yes - the ISO is bootable, you do NOT to do anything but burn it!

here;

post-14624-1126881840.png

Or use nero express and pick disk image, and then point it at the ISO

BudMan

:) mate well I could do it...it was my fault I was burning it as a Data Image and not an ISO...

Sorry for all this pain...I really appreciate ur help..

Thanks...I m installing it now :)

Thankz

--Siddhz

:) mate well I could do it...it was my fault I was burning it as a Data Image and not an ISO...

586534415[/snapback]

Don't worry too much about it. It gets a bit frustrating at times, because this really does happen all the time when people aren't familiar with a bootable iso.
uhm..one last question...

I entered 5120 MB i.e. 5 GB for the new partition...am i done ?

--Siddhz

586534457[/snapback]

If you shrunk your existing NTFS partition by 5GB, that should be enough. Don't try to 'help' out by creating a partition. Remember, trying to help make the CD bootable created extra work. ;)

Just free up the space, commit the change, and you are done with the resize part.

Hey Markjensen,

I completed the process...committed it..and rebooted into windows..but windows still shows me the single partition..

I created partition of 6 GB now when I in Win2K it says Used 1.14 and Free 4.85 ?? Pls note hard drive's capacity is of 20 GB

siddhs.. You resized the partition!! So now you have UNused space.. Now boot the FC dvd or cd.. and it will create linux partitions in the Unused space of the disk..

Here this will help you understand partitions.

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/R...partitions.html

Guys..

I have started with my first Linux installation :).

Wish me luck... and FC4 is going in...

anythings i need to watch out for ???

THANKS a lot for all ur help,

--Siddhs

Windows will show you a single partition, because that is all you have. It is just smaller.

As for the discrepency in size, a scandisk might fix that.

Wait... Did you shrink your 20GB partition down to 6GB? Or did you shrink it down to 14GB, freeing[ up 6GB? :unsure:

Well in a few minutes, you should be posting to neowin from Fedora ;)

edit: with lots of space for linux on your disk ;) If you resized your windows down to 6 gig - heheheh

Windows will show you a single partition, because that is all you have.  It is just smaller.

As for the discrepency in size, a scandisk might fix that.

Wait... Did you shrink your 20GB partition down to 6GB?  Or did you shrink it down to 14GB, freeing[ up 6GB?  :unsure:

586534537[/snapback]

now :unsure: i aint sure..but it asked me new size and i entered 6 GB...Win2K still boots so shud be fine ??..but now no looking back..wont regret it either...FC4 is on its way :)

--Siddhs

now  :unsure:  i aint sure..but it asked me new size and i entered 6 GB...Win2K still boots so shud be fine ??..but now no looking back..wont regret it either...FC4 is on its way :)

--Siddhs

586534559[/snapback]

:rofl:

Yup. 6GB for Windows, 14GB for Linux. (Y)

Hi Guys

:) I m back....and yes I have successfully completed installation of FC2(yeah not FC4).

Although, its the default installation but still a peace of mind. I dont have modem in that pc so wont be able to post from there but I do have network card so as soon as I get accompanied with know-howz of the system, might be able to surf too.

And for all this, my BIG THANKS goes to BudMan,Markjensen and Deano :).Thanks for all your patience and guidance.

Thanks very much guys,

Long Live LinuX,

Cheers

Siddhs

p.s yeah Mark :p I ended up allocating 6 GB to windows, although it asked me :-s for new partition it shud have created a **new** one and not resized the old one. But well its all good. :laugh:

Edited by siddhs

Why FC2? Just curious.

Anyway, good luck with linux. Just give it a little time and don't give up if you have problems, linux has got a really big userbase that's ready to help.

586536082[/snapback]

Uhm, FC2 coz I got it for free with a book and I dont have a real good connection to download FC4 so have to be contended with it for now.But, I plan to upgrade it to FC4 in couple of days. And no, I aint gonna give up on it :).

Do I need to watch out for anything while doing that ??

Oh yeah, I also wanted to ask this thing:

(1) I had 4 CD's of FC2 but all of the installation got completed in just 2 CD's however should be noted that I went for default installation and not customized since I didnt wanted to spoil my debut :p

(2)I installed GNOME now I m planning for KDE, both are different I suppose, right ??

Thanks

--Siddhs

Edited by siddhs

Oh yeah, I also wanted to ask this thing:

(1) I had 4 CD's of FC2 but all of the installation got completed in just 2 CD's however should be noted that I went for default installation and not customized since I didnt wanted to spoil my debut :p

(2)I installed GNOME now I m planning for KDE, both are different I suppose, right ??

586540842[/snapback]

The other CDs contain KDE and server stuff. You can add in KDE without a problem. They co-exist quite well, and you can run your favorite Gnome apps in KDE and vice versa.

The other CDs contain KDE and server stuff.  You can add in KDE without a problem.  They co-exist quite well, and you can run your favorite Gnome apps in KDE and vice versa.

586541151[/snapback]

Yeah, I noticed that just when checking the CDs.

Hey, I wanted to get my FC2 to surf but I dont have a modem in my FC2 pc so how shud I configure it to connect through my other pcs internet connection that has XP Home Edition ? I noticed during set up and I was asked to put in any network config. details but I chose to rest it to the default settings. So, how shud I now configure it ?

Thanks

I have never done this, but you can set up Linux to use Microsoft's Internet Connection Sharing. ICS is just a simple NAT, so you just set up your Windows PC to share, and manually set up your Linux box to use your Windows PC as a gateway.

A google will probably come up with an exact procedure that will work for you.

I will do it tonight and let you know how it went.

Oh yeah, with the type of questions I have been asking wonder if this post is gonna turn out as a full-fledged guide for installing linux on win2k :p.

Cheers

Siddhs