RP LCD HD vs Direct View CRT HD

I'm going to pay for one, but I need to know which one would you prefer. I heard some bad things about the LCD's compare to the HD CRT's. The LCD screens have a dark shade that comes over them if you move side to side, or if you have friends over it's hard to see if you're not looking directly into the screen from the center. Direct View CRT's on the other hand don't have that problem right? They also have better picture quality then all other display types if I'm not mistaken. They have better blacks too, but what's special about LCD's? These are all important questions because I'll be buying one as soon as I know which is better. Now keep in mind, this TV is going to be for some hardcore super quality PS3 gaming in HD with major surround sound. This will also be for my XBOX 360. Now you have it, this is why I need to know which is THE best for picture quality period. Especially for games in High Definition. Thanks in advance.

I prefer the picture of CRT sets, as opposed to LCD's for the reasons you've mentioned.

If it's image quality you're after, I would go CRT.

If you want a slim, stylish set, that can be mounted on your wall and such, then LCD is for you. However, this is probably not exactly what you're looking for.

I prefer the picture of CRT sets, as opposed to LCD's for the reasons you've mentioned.

If it's image quality you're after, I would go CRT.

If you want a slim, stylish set, that can be mounted on your wall and such, then LCD is for you. However, this is probably not exactly what you're looking for.

586538511[/snapback]

Thanks, looks like I'll be going CRT. If anyone else has opinions please share.

I would go with a tube set for sure. Look at the Samsung CRT's. They do 720p and 1080i. Most sets only do the latter.

However, you seem to be mentioning Rear Projection LCD. The main benefit of those is the fact that they go to much larger screen sizes than CRT's do.

Yeah, most of the feedback I've been getting applies good towards the Direct View CRT's. I think I've already made up my mind on which display to purchase. My next question is, which one? There are so many and I really don't want to pay over 1.1k while trying to keep it at least 32". HDMI is a must, of course. The only reason I don't want to pay much over 1.1k is because I've already pre-ordered the 360 mega bundle for $1,999. I'm also going to pre-order a surround sound system. That leaves me but no choice to keep my tag low on buying an HDTV.

Decisions, decisions.... How do I make a decision on something I have no knowledge of :pinch:

The Samsung 30" Slimfit set is a very nice one. If you're going to want bigger, you'll haave to look at Toshiba (no where near as good image quality) or Sony (much more expensive).

Do you have any links I could take a look at?

Here is what I found so far,

Toshiba 42" $800+

Toshiba 34" $1,009

You see, the 34" costs a bit more and I'm not sure why lol It's smaller but what makes the price higher? HDMI? I really don't know. These are important questions I need to know before making a choice.

EDIT: I found the Samsung 30" Slimfit, but how would you compare it to my links?

I would go with a tube set for sure. Look at the Samsung CRT's. They do 720p and 1080i. Most sets only do the latter.

586539211[/snapback]

720p? Are you sure? I want to buy a Samsung SlimFit (CRT HD) but I readed in another forum CRTs are only capable of 480p and 1080i natively.

To stay on topic: we had this Samsung TV LCD at work and someone bring a DVD player capable of up scaling to 720p and 1080i, we decide to test it with Animatrix and LOTR: Two Towers, the image was gorgeous at 720p. I noted the bright and contrast needed some calibration but that?s all, no ghost or angle problems that I could remember. At 480p and 1080i we noted a little "blurness" in the image, our "technology officer" (office geek) said it was because this LCD had a native resolution of 1280x720 pixels, and everything below or above that needed a "re scale" resulting in a lose of clarity. I'm not a video expert but that's was happened in that ocasion.

I want this High Definition thing to be more easy...

Southwest: Read the specs on it. It does 720p.

586539471[/snapback]

That?s the problem, look

In "Connections" it says 480i/480p/1080i inputs, the weird thing it?s that also includes a HDTV tuner, why would you include a tunner and not support 720p? Also here is the forum I talked about, people there are very technical but if you want to buy a SlimFit read this, includes some problem answers CLICK!

Anyway, I think the best way to resolve my confusion is buying the damn thing and made a lot of test, or buy a LCD / DLP... there goes the farm:wacko:o:

Southwest: Read the specs on it. It does 720p.

586539471[/snapback]

I am pretty sure that no consumer crt can display a 720p signal. On the other hand, almost every single brand (except for older panasonics) can accept a 720p signal and convert it to 1080i.

Also, depending on the brand the resolution may greatly vary. The sfp sony's can supposedly achieve 1400x1080i while the non-sfp models can only get 850x1080i (which is what pretty much every other brand displays except for toshiba). So sony sfp tubes have the highest res, which I believe is followed by toshiba (toshiba can supposedly get about 1200x1080i).

Though they can resolve full HD resolution by any means, it doesn't really matter since the screens are so small that it still looks great.

I feel kind of stupid quoting myself lol I'm just in the time of dire.

Do you have any links I could take a look at?

Here is what I found so far,

Toshiba 42" $800+

Toshiba 34" $1,009

You see, the 34" costs a bit more and I'm not sure why lol It's smaller but what makes the price higher? HDMI? I really don't know. These are important questions I need to know before making a choice.

EDIT: I found the Samsung 30" Slimfit, but how would you compare it to my links?

586539322[/snapback]

From the pdf spec sheet (it say auto sensing though it's not clear whether it displays it or not):

586542036[/snapback]

I guarentee is doesn't display it. It just converts it. There is no consumer crt sold today that can display 720p native. Just like no 720p/768p fixed pixel display can display 1080i native. They all just convert.

I think I found something really nice. Maybe you guys can tell me more about it.

Here is the Sony KD 30XS955 30" HDTV

First off, it's just under 1k. It's HD, Direct View, HDMI, CTR and It's SFP. Now, like SonComet said Sony's SFP tubes have The best resolution. Fact? Who knows, but I'm sure he isn't stupid. My question is, does this support 720p/1080i etc. It wouldn't be fun to have a great game that can run 720p , but this TV can't. How would that effect the picture?

Take a look at it and give me your opinion. Is this really all I need to see HD possibly at it's best? (without paying $10,00 of course)

Thanks

Edited by Acro84

I guarentee is doesn't display it.? It just converts it.? There is no consumer crt sold today that can display 720p native.? Just like no 720p/768p fixed pixel display can display 1080i native.? They all just convert.

586542488[/snapback]

Is that really a bad thing? I mean, obviously people still think CRT is better, but why if it doesn't support 720p? I understand it converts it, but does that degrade picture quality. It sure sounds like it to me. On the other hand, I don't know anything about this.

please excuse my double post

Edited by Acro84

The sony will just convert all 720p to 1080i. I have limited experience with sony HD crt tvs receiving a 720p signal as only FOX and ESPN use 720p. FOX looks to be about dvd quality to me which is way better than sdtv but noticeably worse when compared to any of the other 1080i channels, but on the other hand ESPN looks fantastic. So I don't really know what's going on with that. I just assume that FOX doesn't have the greatest signal or cameras or something. But, on a tv of that size I don't really think that the conversion will be all that noticeable especially considering the signal from a next-gen console isn't gonna be degraded nearly as much as HD signals over cable.

All this being said, though a 30XS955 would give you better image quality than a rp lcd, I would personally rather have the 42" sony A10. You may find the image quality to be good enough for you and appreciate the larger size, and still great image, over the better image quality but relatively small size of the direct-view crt. You just have to determine what is right for you in terms of your taste, seating distance, space, etc. Remember to look for things like silk screen and screen door effect on any rp lcd you look at. Make sure that sse doesn't bother you, and that you cannot see sde from your viewing distance.

All this being said, though a 30XS955 would give you better image quality than a rp lcd, I would personally rather have the 42" sony A10.  You may find the image quality to be good enough for you and appreciate the larger size, and still great image, over the better image quality but relatively small size of the direct-view crt.  You just have to determine what is right for you in terms of your taste, seating distance, space, etc.  Remember to look for things like silk screen and screen door effect on any rp lcd you look at.  Make sure that sse doesn't bother you, and that you cannot see sde from your viewing distance.

586542704[/snapback]

The a10 is definitely a nice set. As for the screen door effect and such, I find Sony is the best at managing that and it's really only evident in their 60 inch and up sets.