Well, got a sweet new TV :P

It's a Samsung 42" Plasma 1080i with HDTV (check out the link for further details)

My dad bought this for some better football watching haha. We already had a 51" Toshiba projection TV, but this is way better picture quality, and looks a lot better. I'm so stoked! Anyone have any use with this TV? I've heard (and read) that it is one of the best in the 42" range.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetai...gon=&langid=EN#

10061671.jpg

Nice

back in like '98 - '99 my family got a 53inch big screen tv, but its been haveing some problems, so we have been looking at getting a new one,

maybe as a family christmas present.

will have to add this one to the list to look at.

Anyways, nice TV

Plasmas have issues with static pictures which get burnt in (for example channel logotype in corner).

Waiting for LCD...

Edit: This is what I'll be buying  soon :p

586557205[/snapback]

This TV has a feature that doesn't allow burn in if you read the specifications.

Thanks for the compliments guys!!

Plasmas have issues with static pictures which get burnt in (for example channel logotype in corner).

Waiting for LCD...

Edit: This is what I'll be buying  soon :p

586557205[/snapback]

sigh. you troll... if you dont know about the technology please - dont comment.

I owen a Sony Plasma - and this burn in effect that people like to ramble on and on about isn't a myth, but people seem to assume it takes like 5seconds and your gone!

Trust me - its not - and with the newer technology plasmas they have anti-burn-in things... my Sony has a special "White screen" function which reduces any burn-in effects you may notice...

you'll be fine! :)

sigh. you troll... if you dont know about the technology please - dont comment.

I owen a Sony Plasma - and this burn in effect that people like to ramble on and on about isn't a myth, but people seem to assume it takes like 5seconds and your gone!

Trust me - its not - and with the newer technology plasmas they have anti-burn-in things... my Sony has a special "White screen" function which reduces any burn-in effects you may notice...

you'll be fine! :)

586557231[/snapback]

First off all, quit the troll crap.. and plase don't talk to me about technology, ok?

I do have Pioneer 42" plasma TV already and I have burn-in effect eventhough I was careful with it. According to manual you should change picture every 15 minutes.

I've been looking at HDTV LCD's for some time now and they seem a lot better IMO. That's what I'll be going for now.

In the technical specifications on the site which you didn't look at:

a dual HDMI outputs for 100% digital signal transfer and auto pixel shift for image burn-in resistance

In the technical specifications on the site which you didn't look at:

a dual HDMI outputs for 100% digital signal transfer and auto pixel shift for image burn-in resistance

586557249[/snapback]

Ok, so solution for avoiding burn-in is shifting pixels, which btw does not guarantee 100% that you will not get burn-in.. Dosen't shifting pixels make image bit jerky ('cause it should)?

There is always one idiot who brings up the problems some 1st gen plasma's had, and then apply that to the whole range in general.

Plasmas:

1) Do not need refilling every x years - it's a SEALED unit.

2) Do not get burn in anymore - pretty much all models have technologies to combat this, and in honesty CRT units also suffer this.

3) Are amazingly good picture quality these days.

Before you present your opinion as fact, go read a little first. You cannot apply some failings to all technology within a range.

I have pixel shift turned on on mine, and the image simply moves a few pixels to the left/right/up/down every so often. It's pretty much un-noticable. Also I refresh my screen every few weeks.

There is always one idiot who brings up the problems some 1st gen plasma's had, and then apply that to the whole range in general.

Plasmas:

1) Do not need refilling every x years - it's a SEALED unit.

2) Do not get burn in anymore - pretty much all models have technologies to combat this, and in honesty CRT units also suffer this.

3) Are amazingly good picture quality these days.

Before you present your opinion as fact, go read a little first.  You cannot apply some failings to all technology within a range.

I have pixel shift turned on on mine, and the image simply moves a few pixels to the left/right/up/down every so often.  It's pretty much un-noticable.  Also I refresh my screen every few weeks.

586557264[/snapback]

"Unfortunately, plasma can?t show black as darkly as a CRT or DLP, and there is the potential for burn-in, when a bright, stagnant image becomes permanent. New models (including the LG at right) imperceptibly shift images a few pixels at a time to lessen the likelihood of this happening. Plasma is the most expensive technology available."

Refilling? LOL! After x hours brightness is decreased to ca. 50%

Well, all I have to say is that my friend bought a 42" Plasma like 6 months ago, and we left the TV on all night long and there was no sign whatsoever of burn in. We got a better one, so I'm not too worried about it.

I have forgotten to turn my plasma off a few times and left it on over night/when I go out, etc. I cannot see any kind of burn in on the test DVD I use. It is now about 6 months old.

my uncle has one at his joint and i don't see any of this burn-in stuff that you's talk about. it's 6 months old, maybe it only happened on earlier models and some n00bs like to believe it happens to all of them

Mine is about a year old (non HDTV), got burn-in when I had it connected to my PC, background image was light. Now I see texture from image.. Now I don't really care about it since I have another TV and am going to buy a Samsung HDTV LCD 40" soon.

"Unfortunately, plasma can?t show black as darkly as a CRT or DLP, and there is the potential for burn-in, when a bright, stagnant image becomes permanent. New models (including the LG at right) imperceptibly shift images a few pixels at a time to lessen the likelihood of this happening. Plasma is the most expensive technology available."

Refilling? LOL! After x hours brightness is decreased to ca. 50%

586557277[/snapback]

First of all, throw that Popular Science website in the trash.

Second, good quality plasmas (we are not talking about cheap Hyundai crap type) are able to display richer blacks.

Plasma panels are driven using a method called ? pre-discharge,? which causes the black portions of the screen to glow dimly. This causes problems with the contrast and also is a factor that pushes power consumption upward to a small extent.

However, by reducing the reserve discharge to about one tenth the previous value at the black level it is possible to achieve deep blacks and spectacularly high contrast.

Read the source.

Third, plasma isn't the most expensive technology anymore. In fact, the reason plasmas capture the big-screen market, is because the LCD technology costs way more to implement on bigger screens, whereas plasmas don't see that kind of sharp jump in price. So without studying the market, don't say anything like that.

Third, your right, if someone can refill a plasma (>400000 cells filled with a mixture of neon and xeon) I would sell them a refilling kit. But here's where you are wrong again: quality plasmas have a 60000 hours (about 8 hrs of TV a day for 20 years) life till half-life (when the brightness and contrast decrease to 50% of the initial value). So that plasma may live even longer than you would want to watch it.

I can say that all with the confidence, because that is the industry i work in. And if you are looking for the best plasma on the market, get a Viera. Reasons for that:

1. Panasonic is the only company left on the market (the second one was Fujitsu) which, since mid-1990s, devepols plasma technology for the consumer market (although the technology was invented back in the 1970s by US military).

2. Panasonic doesn't outsource plasma production to cut costs. ALL plasma displays are developed, tested and produced in-house. Only a stupid person would not understand a benefit of this.

3. Quality of the parts used (like Panasonic's own new image processor with 3D technology).

Hope that would make you better understand what you are trying to talk about here.

Anyone ever thaught of buying a projector system cause really i think that solve the whole burn in issues he he he . the newer Plazmas genration 5 i think has no issues with burn ins. so hey good luck man on your new screen i wish i had one

Anyone ever thaught of buying a projector system  cause really  i think that solve the whole burn in issues he he he  . the newer  Plazmas  genration 5 i think has  no issues with burn ins.  so hey  good luck man on your new screen i wish i had one

586557386[/snapback]

Rear projectors, as well as DLP TVs, use light projection technology, obviously. Therefore, they are absolute crap when you look at them at an angle, because all your contrast goes to $hit (kind of like the problem that first-generations LCDs had). Although the picture is fantastic on DLP when you look straight at the middle of the screen only.

My verdict: if you want to go big (37 inch and up), get a good plasma. Otherwise, get an LCD TV.