[Boxing] Johnson dies from brain injury

Johnson dies from brain injury

By staff writers

23sep05

THE boxer critically injured on the undercard of Australian Robbie Peden's world title fight on Sunday died today from brain injuries sustained in his bout.

Leavander Johnson, 35, was floored five days ago during his IBF lightweight title fight with Jesus Chavez and never recovered.

He died at the University Medical Centre in Las vegas, where he had been hospitalised since being injured in the fight at the MGM Grand.

Peden, who was beaten in his world title to Marco Antonio Barrera on the same night, said this week he wasn't fussed about losing the belt. He was just happy to be alive having learned of Johnson's shocking state.

Fight statistics showed Chavez struck Johnson 409 times in their bout, including 299 power punches, mostly to his head, before referee Tony Weeks stopped the bout in the 11th round.

Johnson was rushed immediately to hospital and a CAT scan showed he had a large blood clot in his brain. He remained in critical condition all week after brain surgery.

Doctors, who had feared he might die on the night of the fight, said earlier this week the chances of Johnson surviving had improved.

That optimism was proved cruelly misplaced today, though, when a separate hospital spokesman said Johnson had been pronounced dead at 4.23pm local time (9.23am AEST).

Johnson was put in a medically induced coma after undergoing surgery less than an hour after his fight with Chavez.

Johnson was defending the IBF title he won in June against Chavez, but took a beating in the fight before finally being stopped by a flurry of punches in the 11th round.

He walked from the ring, but on the way to the dressing room began showing signs of an injury.

Johnson's death follows that of Mexican boxer Martin Sanchez, who died on July 2, one day after he was knocked out by Rustam Nugaev, from Russia, in a super lightweight fight in Las Vegas.

That death was the fifth in the ring since 1994 in the city.

Another reason why this ****ing 'sport' should be banned.

first off, every boxer, since the days of old. Know about the consequences of the sport.

Second of all hes going up against Chavez's son, of course hes gonna get hit hard, look at the poundings Chavez sr. used to hand out.

I am of the opnion that when people start dying as a direct consequence of taking part in that 'sporting activity', it ceases to be a 'sport.' Friggin' brutes. :crazy:

586566254[/snapback]

Feel the same way about football then?

Feel the same way about football then?

586566277[/snapback]

Football, Race car driving, Track and field, wrestling, thats all that comes to mind im sure there are more.

Maybe they should use that head pad in boxing and not just for practice. Ultimate fighting, now thats bloody.

Edited by dolimite35

In a sense, I agree. But I also don't... I mean, it's hard to explain.

Lurchybaby: there is obviously a difference between football and boxing, don't try to compare them. They're completely different. You can't compare them just because they're both physical. That's like comparing winning the super bowl to winning a nobel prize simply because both require effort.

dolimite35: are you just saying you don't like those sports? Because none of them are all too similar, so I'll assume so. lol

And, lastly: R.I.P. Leavander Johnson

I agree, boxing is just savage, it should not be a sport. You can't compare boxing to ball sports like football, or basketball, or tennis. All those sports have injuries, all have their dangers, but those are things that are not SUPPOSED to happen, and only take place as ACCIDENTS. In boxing, these things are pretty much the actual goal of the sport. It's just savage. I don't look at football kindly either... And hocky can get out of hand quite often. Sports should be won by having more skill than your opponent. Not by beating them to a bloody pulp.

has anyone actually died in football from direct physical contact though? the only time i've seen people die during football is from unrelated personal ailments that were pre-existing.

i don't think you can really compare the two.

RIP.

BroChaos: Yes, but only from accidental things such as when a player does not properly hold their head when being hit, resulting in spinal injuries that can lead to death. I can't think of any off the top of my head, though.