"LeechBox", Which OS....

Good Evening,

Seeing i have a week off uni this week and with nothing to do (or thats what i like to think :p ) i have decided to set up a 'leech box'

i have a rather high bandwidth & high limit internet connection. I also have a laptop which i take to uni everyday and hence doesnt spend much time where it can just download.

My aim is to build a desktop who's sole purpose is to download. I aim to install VNC or SSH to provide some form of remote desktop/access so that i can manage and monitor my download tasks.

I hope to run bittorrent, irc, gnutella [limewire] (if possible) and the port of Peergaurdian.

I know Azureus is multiplatform java app, i was hoping for something less resource hogging. On windows i use BitComet, unfortunately that doesnt have a linux port.

but, as it does everytime i go to make a linux box, the same question comes up............Which OS?!?!?!?!

i have alot of experience with linux and have tried many distros, the only thing i need to keep in mind is that the graphics card on this machine isnt able to operate high end WMs. (this will change soon though, will be getting new card within the month)

i also considered a BSD variation (thinkng OpenBSD) however i couldnt find any BitTorrent GUI ports for BSD or a PeerGaurdian/Protowall port.

Any Suggestions would be awesome :D

Cheers

--Mike

I am glad yo use OpenBSD. It is the most robust OS out there, and it runs on my old 486 without a problem while Damn Small Linux kept crapping out on me.

I don't think Ubuntu is user-friendly enough for me yet, so if I have a choice, OpenBSD all the way.

are there bittorrent clients with scraping (retreiving other clients from peers rather than from a central tracker, helps alot if the tracker is down) avaliable for BSD?

i suppose azuerus would work given the java platform. I do not have much experience with BSD distros, are they similar in operation to linux?

Cheers

--Mike

give TorrentFlux a try, it's a completely web-based torrent client, written in php and python. Uses very little resources, and you can check on your downloads remotely, and even add more downloads. All you need is apache, php4, and mysql.