Rogers @ home

Rogers customer here, its pretty good, recently they capped their limits again, about 1500 kbps down and 160 kbps up

(thats about 200 KB/s down and 22 KB/s up)

used to be about double that (at least in upstream)

But with Bell Sympatico DSL monthly download limits (5 GB or 10 GB dependin how much u wanan pay) i'd go with cable... until they add limits =

-------

But if your lookin for DSL -- sympatico has their new 3 megabit service, you can also get a 3.5 megabit service from a company called AEI, Canada has some great fast DSL, jsut gotta live in the right area, prices are pretty cheap too.

The last time I heard the Excite@Home was shut down and the name change of my cable internet provider, from Optus@Home to Optusnet Cable. I think @Home isn't great anymore. Everything have changed.

I have Shaw, and damn is it awesome, I topped out my upload at like 550kb/sec and my download at 1.7mb/sec ( Hard to believe I know, but I swear to god that it happened )

I've slowed down a bit because I use a splitter to split the cable between 2 TVs and the modem. Also the new DL/UL limits haven't helped.

I think what helps me is the fact that I'm on an island in a city of 100,000 so I don't have a lot of bandwidth sharing like other places.

i have it. Ted Rogers is a Cockmaster. He has literally mastered the ######.

rogers increased their price by $5 a few months ago, and they just recently halved the maximum upload and download speeds without warning anybody, or formally admitting to it afterward

and by the end of the year, there will be bit caps.

1) price goes it

2) speed goes down

3) caps comming soon

4) i have noticed the speeds to vary a lot lately, and the connection itself is less relaible than before. i used to never have any problems, now it sometimes decides to, y'know..not load web pages and things.

Originally posted by Zeni

I have Shaw, and damn is it awesome, I topped out my upload at like 550kb/sec and my download at 1.7mb/sec ( Hard to believe I know, but I swear to god that it happened )

Damn.. I'm on Shaw too.. I usually upload around 60-100k/sec, and download at at least 120kb/sec (most of the time :rolleyes: )

I've often seen 300kb/sec.. And have reached a speed of about 700k/sec.

Well when I got rid of my Shaw for a while, and then re-subscribbed to the service, the tech dude that came to my house showed me a service page on Shaw that had PPP-Boost, and he showed me how to tweak it, and it drastically improved my speed. :)

I have Rogers. The speeds aren't too bad but I didn't like it when Dodgers halved the speeds without telling the people who pay for his retirement.

I will still with Rogers up til the caps come in place. Until then, I might was well be one of the "bandwidth hogs".

If you're looking for an alternate, go to http://www.canadianisp.com. It will list ISPs in each province and what services they provide. Customers can also rate the listed ISPs.

I have Rogers too. I'd tend to agree with mcb.

The speeds have been capped to 128 KB/s and uploads are too slow. They've increased the price $5 and the service has been worse since. Traceroutes are deplorable. Everything routes through Telglobe which has really bad routing. I have a hard time playing games on-line with it.

What it comes down to in the end is this: If you want hi-speed you have to get either Rogers or someone who provides service through Sympatico for DSL. Rogers is good but the routing has been poorly implemented. Bell really has one of the best backbones in Canada. Rogers has peered with them and Teleglobe (in the US). Sympatico's service to ISPs and to its own customers has not been great. If you have the serivce its good if not, you're SOL until then wether or not you are with Sympatico. Roger's support is not great either but if the service goes down at least you're talking diretly with the provider.

As for the bandwidth caps, I don't like it, but sooner or later they will come. It costs at leat $3 per GIG you download prob. more like 4 or 5. Its costing them a small fortune to run these services.

If you plan on playing games, there is a lot of latency on Rogers because of the hops through 1 billion routers. Its not bad late at night but its not great. I included a tracertoue below for you to get an idea. I left the first & 2nd line out intentionally so you can't see my IP or relative location. All the routes are basically the same even in Canada. #3's a router and they blocked out traces intentionally. On my old dial up provider my max hops used to be around 10-12 for most US sites. CNN, download.com, slashdot, game servers are all the same on Rogers.

3 * * * Request timed out.

4 59 ms 29 ms 32 ms gw01.wlfdle.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [66.185.82.138]

5 59 ms 29 ms 29 ms gw02.wlfdle.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [66.185.80.142]

6 76 ms 45 ms 41 ms 66.198.40.5

7 74 ms 48 ms 43 ms if-0-0-0-0.har1.Chicago4.Teleglobe.net [63.243.176.133]

8 67 ms 47 ms 48 ms 63.243.182.14

9 78 ms 47 ms 43 ms so-2-3-0.chcgil2-br1.bbnplanet.net [4.24.7.133]

10 72 ms 47 ms 47 ms p13-0.iplvin1-br1.bbnplanet.net [4.24.9.58]

11 81 ms 57 ms 61 ms so-2-1-0.atlnga1-br1.bbnplanet.net [4.0.3.121]

12 87 ms 58 ms 58 ms so-7-0-0.atlnga1-br2.bbnplanet.net [4.24.10.34]

13 92 ms 71 ms 71 ms p7-0.tamqfl1-br1.bbnplanet.net [4.24.6.74]

14 103 ms 71 ms 71 ms p1-0.tamqfl1-br2.bbnplanet.net [4.24.7.158]

15 94 ms 68 ms 67 ms p1-0.tamqfl1-cr8.bbnplanet.net [4.24.10.230]

16 99 ms 74 ms 70 ms s0-1.digsysman.bbnplanet.net [4.24.136.190]

17 101 ms 71 ms 72 ms neowin.net [64.46.100.72]

18 98 ms 73 ms 71 ms neowin.net [64.46.100.72]

Rogers user here in Toronto. Pretty good but the latest bandwith reduction truly sucks hard.

I used to get 300kb/s down - 40kb/s up. Now just half that, but still a bit better than Sympatico.

If you are on 56K, either cable or dsl will make you happy.

Edit: Forgot to add, lately pinging my own Gateway gives values all over the place and above 45, that's not good :(