Should I get a Mac Mini?

I'm a Windows user. I want to try Mac. Is it in my interest to get a Mac Mini, hook it to a KVM that supports DVI and try it?

Also, would it work with the DiNovo keyboard and MX1000 mouse?

If you want to experience the Mac platform, the mac mini is your best bet because of price - unless you wanted to buy a used G3 or G4. Of course, do not expect it to perform as well as a regular Mac desktop.

Just as a point of interest:

Apple's not advertising this, but current Mac minis are shipping slightly faster than the specs on the box claim. The 1.42 are actually 1.5GHz (we received 4 at work on friday) and the 1.25 are apparently 1.3 ghz now (I can't confirm this). They also ship with a 5,400 RPM hard drive rather than the standard 4,200.

The only way to know for sure that you've got the faster model is to look into system profiler or the "about this mac" dialog.

Just as a point of interest:

Apple's not advertising this, but current Mac minis are shipping slightly faster than the specs on the box claim. The 1.42 are actually 1.5GHz (we received 4 at work on friday) and the 1.25 are apparently 1.3 ghz now (I can't confirm this). They also ship with a 5,400 RPM hard drive rather than the standard 4,200.

The only way to know for sure that you've got the faster model is to look into system profiler or the "about this mac" dialog.

586606407[/snapback]

I, too, read The Ink, /. , and Neowin :p

posting on one right now :D. i use it as a "portable" pc to school sometimes. as mentioned they received a speed bump so you should get one now. unless you want to wait for the intel mini.

I bought a mac mini a few months ago and have not looked back. 1GB Ram is a must. Coming from Windows, it'll take you a week or so to work everything out, but once you have you'll see how simple yet powerful the OS is.

In all honesty I can't see why OSX doesn't own the market - but that's a good thing - you won't have to worry about viruses or spyware anymore.

The only gripe I've had is that Mirc isn't made for Mac - but Colloqoy (sp?) works fine for that. There might be a lack of games, but i wouldn't know - I only play WoW, and it runs sweet on a mac mini with 1GB Ram.

I apologise for my constant new paragraphing and overuse of "-".

EDIT: - Just noticed my sig still has my old sigx data! rofl.

The Mac mini is an awesome product that performs rather well for general tasks. I've had mine for a little over a month and I love it. I used to be a Windows "fanboy", but after using a Mac for a month I'm totally sold on Apple's quality and reliability. Within a couple years I plan on purchasing either a Power Mac or iMac.

The Mac mini should work with any USB keyboard or mouse. Provided the ones you mentioned are USB, they should work fine.

http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/20...nside/index.php

That's a good start, mate.

Once you've had mac you'll never go back. It's just a shame that so many windows guys bag the mac and dampen it's reputation when it's such a great OS. It really has to be tried. And for the Aussies you can duck down to your nearest David Jones or Megamart and they'll let you play around for ages!

Oh, and the other only gripe...You buy a mac one month; next month they upgrade the thing, and you don't get a rebate or discount or anything because you didn't see it coming.

my powerbook was my first mac, and well i built the pc i used for gaming last year and havent touched since i got this pb, its amazing. i was a ms fanboy for a long time, i hated macs and now i dont even know why, they are so much better in every aspect except for perhaps the limited gaming library but then again i really am out of the whole gaming thing and i sitll have my pc for that. but anyhow, they realy are the best machines on the planet.

Mac Mini sounds good, OR, you could just install OSX on your pc. :ninja:

586606948[/snapback]

See,well, I don't know where to find OSX Intel Edition (as I'll call it). In any case, I'd love it if when the Macintels come out next year that Mac OS not be limited to 'mac signed' Intel products. Or, at the very least, they release an Wintel friendly Mac OS.

i also want to buy a mac mini but can i add extra Ram myself and does it support DDR 400?

586610575[/snapback]

Yes and no. The mac mini uses PC2700 so while DDR400 should clock down just fine, it won't make your mini work any better.

Well, since that is the default amount now, it's rather hard to buy a new one that doesn't have 512MB or more.

586610834[/snapback]

Well, I didn't know that. You don't have to get smart about it.

If you do get one make sure it has at least 512 mb ram or more.

586610518[/snapback]

Well, since that is the default amount now, it's rather hard to buy a new one that doesn't have 512MB or more.

What is the mini going to be used for? If its just to see if you will like an Apple system maybe you should go to an Apple store and play about with one there? Just seems a lot of money if you think "Yeah its cool now i need something better..."

Im tempted by the Mini myself though, another Apple computer is never a bad thing. ^_^