Apple charging $100 a year for .mac!

thinksecret knows jack *****

all this is gonna be is like the hotmail thing is. and thats not even a final price. its just an ugrade you'll prob. get alot of new options more space and more service stuff like that. so dont gripe about it please. :)

Thats a very weak rumor. Like Tim said all it will be is a price to uprgrade to more storage space and extra features. And that won't be $100 year prob.

Is it trying to compete with .NET? anyhow, it's a bad either.. they'll definately lose a lot of MAC users

People are just going to stop using Macs because of this?:right: :ponder

Word of advice, Read about things on arstechnica before you go posting them here. This is old news that has already been stated as bull****.

You can pay Apple to upgrade your iDisk space already.

So, you can pay for extra functionality.

Surely the most astounding news of the decade!

:right:

--

unspec

i talked bout this quite a bit on a mac forum i go to

for $100, i dont think the services will be the same as the current ones

for that much, it might include a domainofyourchoice.mac and a username@yoursite.mac (or few) address

we'll just have to wait and see tomorrow

if it has sucky services, .mac will lose ALL of its members (such as if it keeps the homepage.mac.com/username as the url)

it might include a domainofyourchoice.mac and a username@yoursite.mac (or few) address

we'll just have to wait and see tomorrow

if it has sucky services, .mac will lose ALL of its members (such as if it keeps the homepage.mac.com/username as the url)

Is .mac even a valid TLD?

--

unspec

geez, no need for flaming or anything

thats just my prediction

since y would apple charge $100 just for a homepage.mac.com/username acct when www.whatever.mac would seem more like $100/year than the other one?

if it isnt whatever.mac, then apple might as well just scrap the itools/.mac program altogether or whatever :s

Well it's true people, Apple have resorted to charging:

http://mac.com/1/mac_faq.html

Additional features included:

Backup software to back up to iDisk, DVD or CD

Virus protection

100mb iDisk space increased from 20

15mb email space

Windows users can now sign up if they feel the need as well.

I'm not too happy, although the first year only works out at $4.16 a month then up to $8.33

*sigh*

heres an overview *sigh* its a ****y day for apple fans :(

theyve gone in the direction of apple (but charge 4x more i think)

since ms charges only $25/year for email/storage (on msn groups)...n apples charging $100/year but that includes virus scanning n such...

Q: Is it true that Apple will begin charging customers for iTools memberships?

On Wednesday, July 17, 2002, Apple notified its customers that iTools will be replaced by a new membership service called .Mac. The membership includes brand new features, like Backup and Virex anti-virus software, and improved versions of the iTools services, like additional email and iDisk storage. The fee is US$99.95 per year, and as a thank you for being loyal customers, existing iTools members can reserve a first year special offer of $49.95. iTools members will have until September 30 to join .Mac. After this time, original iTools accounts will be deactivated.

Q: What does a .Mac membership include?

A .Mac membership includes everything you need for life on the Internet. Join .Mac and get the tools you need to share and communicate with family and friends, while keeping your system safe. Software and services included with a .Mac membership are:

Communication and sharing

HomePage with new visitor feedback features

Mac.com Email with IMAP and 15MB of storage that can be upgraded for more

Ability to purchase up to 10 additional email accounts

iDisk with 100MB of storage that can be upgraded for more

iDisk utility software for group sharing of files

Safety and security

Backup software to back up your files to iDisk, CD, or DVD

Virex anti-virus software to keep your system protected

Continuous anti-virus updates to protect from the latest threats

Members-only support with private discussion boards moderated by Apple technical support representatives

Q: Why is Apple charging for iTools?

Providing email and storage solutions for millions of customers comes at a considerable cost. In addition, using the Internet today requires more storage space, better ways to share, and new ways to protect your important files. To continue providing iTools services as well as a new set of must-haves for computing on the Internet, Apple is charging an annual fee.

Bought individually, comparable products would cost you an estimated $250:

Anti-virus: $50

Backup: $40

100MB of online storage: $60

15MB of email storage, forwarding and POP/IMAP access: $40+

Home page creation and hosting: $60

i still think it should be www.whateverurl.mac :(

I think it's reasonable for what they do...

100MB of space is between $10 - $20 a month by itself (yes, it all depends on who your host is, but on average i'm talking about)

that alone is $120 - $240 dollars a year!

plus, add the cost of extra space on e-mail providers who fill your mailbox with spam, and it all really works out pretty good...

in my oppinion most of the cost is just going to the av and backup since i think theyre 3rd party stuff

one of my best mac buds was upset when he found out theyre gonna charge for .mac since he loved his @mac.com addy but he sold his G3 imac today (he was sad to see it go) but he still has a G4 imac :D (cuz hes getting a pc :s)

i doubt apples gonna attract lots of people with this plan