[NHL] Ron and Don ready to go

Actually both the NHL players and the CBC staff were recently locked out and both lockouts are now over. That means that HNIC is ready to go this Saturday. HNIC co-host, Don Cherry, is known to be the most recognized man in Canada (even more than the Prime Minister).

051004_ron_maclean_225.jpg

Ron MacLean is ready to strap on the microphone Saturday night, along with long-time sidekick Don Cherry, now that the seven-week CBC lockout appears to be over.

Oct. 4, 2005. 01:00 AM

CBC scrambles Ron and Don

But will network be ready for Leafs, Habs Saturday?

`We need to make sure the game coverage is good'

CHRIS ZELKOVICH

SPORTS MEDIA COLUMNIST

There will be hockey Saturday night and, barring a major snag, it will look like Hockey Night In Canada on your television sets.

While there's still a chance that the regular crew might not be back in the office in time for Saturday's games after a seven-week lockout, staffers are expecting to be in their usual places after the CBC and its union reached a tentative agreement late Sunday night.

"I'm looking forward to being there again," said host Ron MacLean, who expects to be working alongside Don Cherry when the Leafs play host to the Canadiens. "It's been a long while. The only fix was the Movie Night In Canada minor hockey games and that wasn't quite the same thing."

CBC senior executive producer Joel Darling said he anticipated working Saturday even though "we don't know exactly when we'll even be able to get into the building."

That depends on when the network and the Canadian Media Guild can work out a priority list for a return to work, he said, adding, "I assume we're at the top of the list."

Since Hockey Night In Canada is the network's top revenue producer, there's little doubt about that.

But CBC spokesman Jason MacDonald said doubt still exists, although he promised there will be hockey on the network Saturday night.

"We're going to have hockey regardless Saturday," he said. "How it ultimately looks and what we can do depends a lot on what we can get done in the next day or two."

If final details aren't settled before the weekend, that would mean Saturday's Canadiens-Leafs game will resemble the CBC's recent CFL broadcasts with no announcers and cameras operated by management. Even if they are settled in time, getting things back in order will be difficult.

"Normally, we're working through August and September to prepare, not just the last week," Darling said. "Now we may only have a couple of days."

With that in mind, Darling said viewers won't see many bells and whistles this weekend.

"My plan is to keep things as simple as possible," he said. "The important thing for the viewers is that they're going to get the game. As long as they get the games, the commentators and Ron and Don, the other stuff we'll try to do, but as simply and efficiently as we can."

That likely will mean no pre-game show and little in the way of features. A new instructional series called Think Hockey was to have been shot during the lockout and will likely be postponed until next season.

"We need to make sure the game coverage is good," he said. "That's the priority."

Darling is hopeful the CBC can produce all three scheduled games Saturday night, with a regional Ottawa-Buffalo game and a national Vancouver-Edmonton contest also on the schedule.

"I'm waiting to find out if we'll do the third game in Ottawa," he said. "I talked to (CBC Sports head) Nancy (Lee) this morning and told her my preference is that we do it."

Darling said the only serious complication involving that game is finding an analyst to work with Don Wittman. The CBC was in the process of finding a replacement for the departed Brian Burke when the lockout began.

Darling expects newcomer Jim Hughson to work the game in Edmonton alongside Greg Millen, who took on a part-time job at Leafs TV last week.

While the news of a return to work was welcomed by workers and viewers, TSN probably wasn't as happy.

Had the lockout continued, it would have inherited the Edmonton-Toronto CFL game on Thanksgiving Day.

(Thanksgiving Day is earlier in Canada - October 10th)

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentSe...id=968867503640

Great news! Only one more day until the NHL returns with it's first games, and the first Hockey Night in Canada show on Saturday, the first in a year and a half!

I hate Don Cherry with the fiery passion of a galaxy of flaming suns.

586622309[/snapback]

But Ron MacLean is cool. Still, one has to listen to Don (between periods one and two) just to see who he's going to pick on (women, French Canadians, Russians/Europeans aka the guys with the visors).

That guy makes C$700,000 a year to work one night per week for half the year. Nice work when you can get it.

But Ron MacLean is cool.  Still, one has to listen to Don (between periods one and two) just to see who he's going to pick on (women, French Canadians, Russians/Europeans aka the guys with the visors).

That guy makes C$700,000 a year to work one night per week for half the year. Nice work when you can get it.

586622387[/snapback]

Hey, I love Don Cherry. Doesn't care about political correctness. A great listen every time.

Man I'm gonna miss CBC and their coverage. I hear networks down here blow for Hockey coverage :(

P.S. Don Cherry was fun to listen to!

586627797[/snapback]

Down where? I'm assuming you've moved to the US...

Thank god for NHL Center ICE, I'm able to watch HNIC in Houston, Texas of all places.... I can't wait for HNIC, makes me feel like im home :)

Man I've been counting the days till NHL opening night for what seems like forever... finally its here :D And thanks to HDNet gonna get some NHL in HD :o

Man I've been counting the days till NHL opening night for what seems like forever... finally its here :D And thanks to HDNet gonna get some NHL in HD :o

586627829[/snapback]

560 days since the Leafs last played a game. Coincidentally, the price of a case of Molson Canadian has dropped $5.60 in honour of the resumption of hockey. Woot. They have commercials reminding Canadians how to drink beer. It's a riot.

I love HNIC. We get it here in Detroit being so close to the border. I used to sit up on Saturday night when I was real little and watch both games before going to bed for school. 1-2am sometimes.

I'm going to be at the Joe Louis Arena tonight to welcome my Red Wings back to hockey!

560 days since the Leafs last played a game.  Coincidentally, the price of a case of Molson Canadian has dropped $5.60 in honour of the resumption of hockey.  Woot.  They have commercials reminding Canadians how to drink beer.  It's a riot.

586627855[/snapback]

LOL

I've met them both several times. Don is actually quite a nice guy to chat with one on one if you have the chance. He's really down to earth. YES he always wears his crazy suits though. Ron is a fantastic guy as well. I've actually had him referree a game of mine for charity a few years back. It was pretty funny getting thrown into the penelty box by him. Everyone was calling him Mr. McLean instead of 'ref' of 'stripes' or whatever else they would normally say.