[Review] E.W.S

I thought I would make a review on a package I found. It is my first review. Tell me what I did wrong so I can improve and make better reviews for future software packages.

Basic stats:

Apache 2.0

PHP 4.4

MySQL 4.0

PHPmyadmin 2.6.3

These are just a few of the features.

Download size is 15mb exe file. The website this resides is full of information on what is included in this package. I send an email and recieved feed back in less that 24 hours. I was greatly impressed with that. Now onto the review.

Review:

Installing the package was simple. No issues. I clicked on the EWS.exe and ran the file. What opens is the systray panel starting up Apache, MySQL, and a FTP. It started up in french. I closed and reopened the file and it remained in french. A quick email and reply and that was resolved with one line modification to the ini file. I have this on a thumb drive so it did fit what I was looking for.

In the root of this folder structure is /web. This is where localhost resides. This package comes with a demo script the creator made. Pretty neat but I deleted it to keep the folder clean.

Systray tool:

ews_systray.gif

This is the tool that resides in the systray. On it you can start/stop Apache, SQL and the FTP, each on there own or all at once. The Start Page opens up ?localhost? and ?admin? opens the admin.php which is discussed else where. To the right which I like is all the software included in the package and the version numbers. I have not tried to upgrade anything but am curious to see if it will show up on this page.

Systray tool advanced:

ews_syst_adv.gif

This is the advanced page. Here you can install the services if you want or configure all the ini files if you need. Fast exploration go to the location on the HDD for quick access. Another fine addition. Its the details that really set this apart.

Admin.php:

ews_admin.gif

From here you can go into phpmyadmin and check the databases. You can also go into all the server files to check things out.

Overall I give this 8 out of 10. I took off becuase the modules are not up to date right now. I also took off 1 point for the root of the file have the module .dll in there when they should be in another folder. Also to get it working in english it took a one line edit in a ini file. Like I said it was the details. I enjoyed all the extras that were added to this package and the ease of use. By far the easiest server package I have used yet.

So if you think you would like this package go over to http://e.w.s.free.fr/site/ and try it out yourself.