LogonUI Switcher - Instant Logon Screen Switcher

12 members have voted

1. 1. LogonUI Switcher - Instant Logon Screen Switcher

• This is very useful!
    • It needs some work.
    • You should have spent that time sleeping, instead of coding!

Here is a quick utility I whipped up (instead of sleeping tonight). :)

LogonUI Switcher immediately switches your Logon Screen, by prompting you to select your new "logonui.exe" file. The full path to your selected file is stored in the registry (more on this in the Techincal section). You may verify this by choosing "Log Off", then "Switch User" (or "Log Off" again).

This is for all of the great members of NeoWin.net!

If there is further interest, I may consider creating a more robust utility. Let me know.

For the time being there is no install, so you'll have to create your own icon. Perhaps after we have tested it abit we can add an installer, or perhaps some extra features... but for now... time for sleep!

Enjoy,

BeeJay :sleeping:

Download: LogonUISwitcher.zip

pretty nifty...so all this utility is doing is editing the registry? I'm assuming you can run this utility again and select your original logonui.exe from the system32 folder to restore back to the original rather than running the reg file (haven't tested it yet...still at work). Guess the reg file would be faster...but I'm lazy...rather keep up with one file than two =)

something I thought might be neat to have would be a random logon screen changer. So everytime you reboot or re-logon it would display a different logonui. Seems like it would be kinda easy...something that would rewrite that registry entry with a random logonui everytime you log in.

Anyway...just my 2 cents.

Good idea!

I haven't thought of that yet...

I immediately started creating installation-scripts (with NSIS, Nullsoft Installer System)

It generates an installation file (blah.exe, or something) which you can run... It places the logonui.exe in "%systemroot%ResourcesLogonuissomesubdirlogonui.exe"

And edits the registry...

This change also is effective immediately...

I kinda like it...

I even made installers for the default WinXP logonuis... Just so you can restore them... lol

Check: http://go.to/webw

Or http://www.lakerscenter.com/xp (download the Weird Al logonui and you'll see what I mean...)

Originally posted by WebWacker

It generates an installation file (blah.exe, or something) which you can run... It places the logonui.exe in "%systemroot%ResourcesLogonuissomesubdirlogonui.exe"

And edits the registry...

The installer is a great idea! That of course is the ultimate in ease of use solution for the end user!