Windows "BlackComb"

Blackcomb has been pushed back a year or so. M$ has decided to develop an OS called Longhorn after XP goes gold. So Blackcomb is going to be tough to find right now.

MINz

The video that was posted on neowin certainly gives away some indicators as to the direction MS is heading with windows. I think the jump straight from XP to blackcomb (full .NET implementation) would be too much for people, thus the reason that MS is planning an interim update (aka longhorn) which i would imagine would be similiar scale of upgrade as 98 was to winme (heh bad analogy i know :roll: but there ya go.)

Ms is increasingly moving toward a task oriented approach in terms of their interfaces as opposed to object orientated. Longhorn is being designed simply to ease people towards that and the full .NET vision.

Windows 2002 is not "Blackcomb" Windows 2002 in Windows XP.

Windows Blackcomb will not be released until 2005, so you all have a lot of waiting to do. Windows longhorn will be released next, but we still have a long wait for that too, its in pre-alpha stages. No one has any info about it, MS just told everyone about it a few weeks ago. Blackcomb is what we should all be looking forward too, it will have Luna2, which will be a totally new GUI (Nothing to do with the Luna in XP).

• 2 weeks later...

Longhorn - Think 98-ME and that's the step that XP-Longhorn will be EXCEPT Longhorn is in a bid to satisy the compaines that say M$ place to much support in the OS. It will have features such as NO web browser, NO file manager, NO email reader, NO TCP/IP, NO documents editors ... etc etc. You will have to either a) Get the M$ ones (aka .NET strategy) or else find your own as the rival companies would have you do.

Blackcomb - Think more Dos-NT. This is going to be big, heavy emphasis on leased software, minimal start as with Longhorn although much more emphasis on M$ software, all built in and at a monthly cost of course. New file systems, new software, new look etc etc.

This is only as I and my friends see it of course.

From what I understand Longhorn will be a minor upgrade to Windows XP, I do not believe that Microsoft will make Longhorn a scaled-down version of Blackcomb unless the Government gets its way. Instead, it will probably be a minor upgrade to Windows XP with the latest versions of IE, OE, WMP, Windows Messenger, and a few new features. Blackcomb will utilize a new GUI that is rebuilt from the ground up using mostly XML. The file system will use a scaled-down version of SQL Server. All of the services that is currently included with Windows will become part of the OS Shell and they will not be able to be removed.

It looks as though - from what I've read that is - that Longhorn will be with around late 2002 / early 2003, and a fully .NET-ed up Blackcomb late 2003 at the earliest. Naturally, what forms these releases take will be dependent upon the ongoing court action in the US. What we can take for granted is a move towards a subscription based model as MS seek to increase and drag out income streams for each OS release over its entire lifetime.

For those of you who haven't seen the video, you can find some Blackcomb screenshots over at WinFuture.de here.

Hi,

The one thing that worries me about any of the predecessors to Windows XP is that everything seems to be subscription orientated:( , if you have to pay just a little bit for each thing on the operating system for example a shared calendar or your own home page via Microsoft, any Microsoft operating system is going to cost us a fortune.

Although we could always use another operating system like BeOS or something there just isn't the applications for it. I hate to admit it but without Microsoft and the PC we wouldn't get very far. :( I think Windows XP is going to be the last upgrade for many people.

Only my thoughts!

Stevie

Microsoft is taking a big risk with subscription and is a leader in the new theory of business, basically the law of corporations is that when you run out of technology you will get a recession...

we (might be reaching the upper limits for technology now (remember the patents office in england in 1900 thought that it should close because 'everything that can be invented has been invented') if this is so even in the short term we are heading for a long term recession...

the subscription model is the only way that microsoft can keep regular incomes coming in... it wants to control the internet because if it can't it will go the way of all huge business through the 20th century that exist on technological revolution (eg motor car), it will fade out as a new technology catches them off guard...

my point is they may not have a choice but to rent software but if they don't do a very good job they will be in very big trouble!

If MS decides to impliment subscription, it will be very stupid because the fee could be outrageous, and if there are no alternatives, we're pretty much stuck there with their new support license which pretty much forces you to upgrade to the new product as MS phases out support for the older operating systems.

I just hope that MS does not offer this as the only option for purchase.

From what I've heard of the subscription model so far, perpetual use licences will still be available. However, with perpetual licences updates might be delivered differently than with subscriptions.

Any one from New Zeland on this forum? You guys are supposed to be a test market for subscription licensing of Office.

So if you don't pay, what kind of action would MS take against you? Would the OS somehow be aware and disable your use for the operating system until you pay your payment? This is more than twice as bad as Windows Product Activation.

This is one of the reasons that I really don't think that it would work for the consumer. It would be just like another bill to pay each month, it could be adjusted depending on how often you use the operating system, what components you install, and what services you use.

If you pay $200 for the retail version, you could pay half as much as you did the month before (ex. Pay $100 then $50 then $25, etc.). This does not mean that I support this but it is just a prediction.

Changing payment to an exclusive subscription-based model would be the biggest mistake ever made by Microsoft IMO.