[MLB]Pinella May Choose Booth Over Dugout for 2006

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Lou Piniella is having so much fun with his postseason TV gig that he's considering spending the 2006 season in the booth.

"I might be doing this next year," Piniella told The Associated Press on Saturday before working the Fox Sports broadcast for Game 4 of the AL Championship Series at Angel Stadium. "It's not for sure -- nothing's for sure. I like it. I'm enjoying this."

Piniella parted ways with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays earlier this month after three difficult seasons as manager. He has hinted he might take a year off before returning to the dugout -- though he certainly might change his mind once October is over and has time to fully think things through.

There is speculation if New York manager Joe Torre doesn't return that the Yankees might express interest in the 62-year-old Piniella, who spent the final 11 seasons of his 18-year playing career in pinstripes.

"It's a totally different perspective," Piniella said. "One thing, when the game's over, you can go home and get a good night's rest and not have to worry about wins and losses -- a big change. I don't even talk baseball. Isn't that great?"

Fox has received feedback that Piniella's work in the booth as an analyst alongside Joe Buck and Tim McCarver has been a success so far.

Full Story @ ESPN.com

Honestly, he was a little shakey at the beginning, but he has really settled down and I love the insight he gives. It's just great hearing a game analyzed by one of the greater minds of baseball. What do you guys think?

I agree with you Chris. Lou brings a rather unique perspective to the booth, as not that many people can say they have had that many years as an all-star player and then follow it up with all those years as manager. Out of all the managers in MLB, he is probably one of the best known and recognized by fans and others.

Last year, when Al Leiter joined Joe and Tim in the booth in the postseason, I enjoyed hearing him as well, as he provided some great insight into the mechanics of throwing different pitches and thoughts going through the mind of pitchers, as well as some great commentary in general for other aspects of the game. I could tell he really enjoyed it, and he seems like a nice, easy-going guy from any time I've seen him talk on TV.

I don't think I would mind one bit if Lou takes a break from the dugout to do some analysis and commentary from the booth.

I'm not particularly looking forward to seeing what George Steinbrenner has in store for Torre, but that is for a different thread alltogether.

I'm not particularly looking forward to seeing what George Steinbrenner has in store for Torre, but that is for a different thread alltogether.

586681552[/snapback]

You just gave me an idea.......Steinbrenner commentating on Yankee games. It would be pure gold, I tell ya!.

You just gave me an idea.......Steinbrenner commentating on Yankee games. It would be pure gold, I tell ya!.

586681600[/snapback]

:rofl:

Oh boy! I can just imagine how the other guys in the booth would feel sitting next to George! The network censors would have a field day (pun intended) with George in the booth! lol