Picking Lottery Numbers?

What do them numbers mean exactly cos people seemed to want to post them?  :huh:

586694898[/snapback]

They are possible lottery ticket numbers -- just random non-sense. ;)

as in the tv programme "LOST"  :wacko:

586694970[/snapback]

Yea some guy in the tv show played the lottery with those numbers and won I don't know a lot of money with it...

Now all he gets is bad luck happening to everybody around him.. :unsure:

• 9 months later...

lottery drawings are random. Don't kid yourself into thinking otherwise.

1-2-3-4-5-6 is just as likely as 8-12-23-25-41-54 or any other 6 digit sequence. If a sequence comes up one drawing, it's likelyhood of hitting on the next drawing does not go down.

There is no 'system'. There is no 'logic'. Numbers cannot be 'overdue'. There are no patterns.

i always use the lucky numbers from the chinese food i eat that week. it has won me a few thousand dollers over the span of this year alone

I closed my eyes and moved the pen down then picked 6 numbers this way.

I did this three times.

The other two lines are my and my fiances favourite numbers, 4,16,13,7 +childrens birthdays

Last line is our birthdays and ages so 02,03,10,11,36,37

Just do these twice a week all the time, so far 4 months.

Got 3 numbers on a line 5 times, currently I am heavily out of pocket.

If you pick a set of numbers, make sure you always put them on (wednesday & saturday) because if you don't and they come out you will be ****ed off. I always use lucky dips now. The only number I always used was 28 (mine and my G/F's birthday), but it always seemed to come out when I chose a lucky dip. My euro lottery lucky dip numbers for today are - 23, 28, 46, 49, 50 lucky stars 04, 09.

looks like it's not today that you'll be euromillionaire metallithrax

:no:

But then, if you don't enter, you cannot win. I don't mind paying a few quid a week for the chance of winning.

• 1 year later...

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 is just as likely as any other 7-number lottery result.

Looking at it like that, you see how improbable it is. :p

But if you pick numbers outside of calendar birthdays and such, then you have more of a chance of not sharing your winnings with any others who may have picked the same numbers.

You can't increase your chance of winning, but you can work on not sharing with people the pick dates. ;)

EDIT: WTF? How did this thread end up on the "lastest forum posts"?!?!? :blink:

post-36818-1206910358.png

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 is just as likely as any other 7-number lottery result.

Strange.

Those who say 5, 6, 7 consecutive numbers are 'just as likely', never notice that it never happens. ;)

And I think that players would cry, 'the fix is in !', if it ever did.

It is generally wise to avoid more than three consecutive numbers, such as 21, 22, 23 or 1, 2, 3 -- whenever you play a lottery.

Strange.

Those who say 5, 6, 7 consecutive numbers are 'just as likely', never notice that it never happens. ;)

And I think that players would cry, 'the fix is in !', if it ever did.

It is generally wise to avoid more than three consecutive numbers, such as 21, 22, 23 or 1, 2, 3 -- whenever you play a lottery.

But it is, the outcome of the previous number bears no weight or is related to the outcome of the next numbers. Every combination even 1,1,1,1,1,1,1 has the same probability. You are displaying classic symptoms of gambler's fallacy, i.e. if the coin lands on 4 heads in a row the next one has to be tails or if this slot machine keeps losing its bound to pay off really big soon, or patterns are less likely than random numbers in the lottery.

F'ing statistics exam next week.

Strange.

:blink: If your post is serious, then you need to review a little bit of statistics. :ermm:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 is equally likely as 4, 13, 17, 26, 31, 33, 46 (or any other 7 numbers you pick)

One-Post-Wonder spam that I deleted ;)
Ahhhh... So it's your fault! :p

I just let the computer do the picking. The odds are the same either way.

For those people who say it is a waste, I waste a heck of a lot more money that a lottery ticket, at least with that I stand SOME chance of getting something back.

Just pick 1,2,3,4,5,6.

The probability of getting that is the same as the chance of getting any other number :p

Also when those numbers do come up, everyone will be kicking themselves

:yes:

In reality, though, you'd want to pick something more random. Although the chances of winning are the same, using a pattern like that increases the chances of someone else using the same set, causing you to have to split your winnings.

I have a rather innovative solution. I help people pick their lottery numbers, either I pick them randomly or they either intentionally or unintentionally communicate the numbers to me telepathically (I do have this skill).

So, what I'm saying is, provide me with the cash. I will buy the tickets for you. I need at minimum 100 tickets for an initial sample. I will keep the tickets and verify if they are winners. It might take me a few tries but I will get a winner. I charge a commission of 50% of the profit. I think its fair given my proven credentials.

A friend of mine was writing a program that would look through the past few months of numbers and pick out the least occurring numbers and spew them out for you... I doubt it did him much good, as he's still as broke as me, lol.