Ford tests 2006 Focus WRC

Works Ford team M-Sport has already tested the 2006-spec Focus WRC that will form the basis of next year's title challenger. The car has had a brief shakedown on asphalt roads in Cumbria, according to British motorsport press, and will head for more forest tests before its debut on this year's season finale in Australia.

The new-look road-going Focus has been used for the design of Ford's 2006 assault on the World Rally Championship as it bids to win its first title since 1981. Double champion Marcus Gronholm has already been signed as one of the team's drivers. Team boss Malcolm Wilson and technical director Christian Loriaux both drove the all-new car during the session, which was conducted close to M-Sport's Dovenby HQ, completing around 300 kilometres.

Although time is limited before the car's debut on this year's Telstra Rally Australia, Wilson is confident that things are progressing well with the car. "It was only supposed to be a shakedown, but we were encouraged by what we saw that it developed into something more serious," he told Motorsport News. "It's early days, but we weren't hanging around and there were no serious mechanical problems."

Source

Some Images I unearthed

2006fordfocuswrcfatop1600x1200.th.jpg

2006fordfocuswrcs1600x12006rs.th.jpg

Sexy or what?!?!?!

its a pity we won't ever see that generation focus here in the states...

the new rs is gonna kick some ass.

actually... i'm glad ford isn't bringing that gen focus here... quality control in the US just plain sucks and it would ruin such a nice car... just look @ my focus... 48,000 miles on a 2002 zx3 and i'm having **** fail nonstop... not just engine stuff too... why should i replace wheel bearings every year?