Barrichello bids Ferrari farewell

Rubens Barrichello will get his last official outing in a Ferrari single-seater this weekend when he takes part in the company’s traditional end-of-season World Finals event at Mugello in Italy.

d05tur207.jpg

Barrichello will pair up with his team mate of six years, Michael Schumacher, for one last time as the duo perform the highlight of the event's on-track activities, a dual demonstration run on Sunday in a pair of this year’s Ferrari F2005s.

This, however, will not be the only Formula One action on offer. Completing the weekend’s busy programme will be a display of the single-seaters prepared by Ferrari’s F1 Clienti department, including the 1953 ex-Alberto Ascari 500 F2, the 1975 ex-Niki Lauda 312T, the 1979 ex-Gilles Villeneuve 312 T4, the 1991 ex Alain Prost F1-91 and the ex Schumacher F2001.

Next week Barrichello is planning a special, more personal, farewell at Ferrari’s Fiorano circuit. "I am bringing all my family to take them out in the three-seater F1 car,” explained the Brazilian. “That will be my bye bye to Ferrari."

Barrichello joined Ferrari in 2000 and went on to take nine race wins with the Italian team. He moves to BAR next season to partner Jenson Button.

Source

Why the HELL do they make 3 seater F1 cars :\ they're like expensive I bet and they get used twice a year... it's a waste of money IMHO.

Anyways, I like Rubens somehow, hope he'll get a good car wherever he lands :D

Why the HELL do they make 3 seater F1 cars :\ they're like expensive I bet and they get used twice a year... it's a waste of money IMHO.

586700721[/snapback]

Notice the "this could be you" helmets on the two passengers on the second pic. They would make money out of selling rides to people.

don't forget about sponsership. Without it, F1 teams couldn't afford a single set of tires, let alone enough for a race weekend.

Taking the bosses of redbull for a ride in an F1 car probably did the world of good :)

they're just for show and as others have said they allow you the chance to show off to corporate sponsers. The cars can raise the profile of the team as they're a novelty with the press thus allowing increased exposure of sponsers ads and thus hopefully attracting new sponsers/money!