Is downloading a ripped DVD illegal?

115 members have voted

1. 1. Is downloading a ripped DVD illegal?

• Yes
    • No

Originally posted by atomoverride

LOL And does anyone really read that crap?

Yeah, lawyers when they are stood in front of the mass pirates in court :rolleyes:

Originally posted by alexchu2643

DVD's have a built-in anti-copy system-- it's not very good, but it is there...

...So, in conclusion, it's the movie industry's own fault for movie piracy, and the design of modern optical media could have been saved from a major flaw with only a half-ounce more plastic.

Yeah its called macrovision and it can be removed (and is) from any and all rippers.

How can you possibly say that its the movie industries fault? What do you base this on? Comparing online piracy to someone stealing from Best Buy is ludicrous. Studios cant compete when their movies get spread around to millions and millions of people within hours. Thats hardly the same as 8 people getting away with a dvd from Best Buy. Stores like that still have theft but nothing on the same level as online piracy. You need to check your facts.

I still dont know what you are rambling on about "major flaw". Again, check your facts.

DVD rips are illegal, warez is illegal, half the things u do everyday is illegal. but here is the point NOBODY GIVES A FLYING F**K!

go dl ur dvd rip and ur warez, cuz i sure as hell do....

Originally posted by atomoverride

And does anyone really read that crap?

Well it doesn't matter if you read it or not, ignorrance of the law isn't a valid defense (not that you are saying that).

Just buy the damn dvd, I personally think that dvd's aren't a bad deal, 10-20 dollars for movies with excellent audio and video quality, extra features like trailers, behind the scenes, deleted scenes, etc....

I mean you defeat the whole purpose of a dvd when you rip it, because for most people at best you get SVHS quality video and MP3 quality audio.....

it is illigal to have rips even if you have original.

you illigaly used dvd decrypting software, you illigaly transfered copyrighted content to a different media, and you illigaly redistributed it.

if you d/led a rip, you participated in mentioned above.

Originally posted by SNN1978

I mean you defeat the whole purpose of a dvd when you rip it, because for most people at best you get SVHS quality video and MP3 quality audio.....

Completely not true. A quality rip is highly above SVHS. A rip properly done will be very close the the original. The audio is also a myth as there are better alternatives. All in all, unless you are an audio/videophile with the hardware to back it up. A quality DivX rip is the way to go.

I never understood why anyone would want to watch anything but the movie on the DVD. I dont want to see trailers, thats why I saw the movie to begin with. Commentary doesnt interest me and neither do interviews. Also left out the fact that I have had a copy of Blade II on my PC for about a week now and LOTR for almost 2 months.

Originally posted by MxxCon

you illigaly used dvd decrypting software, you illigaly transfered copyrighted content to a different media, and you illigaly redistributed it.

mxxcon u are hereby declared ILLEGAL....

it is illegal but i did, am and will download it,

watcha gonna do!!!! :p:evil: :evil:

joke

Originally posted by MxxCon

ever hear of fair use???? if i own a dvd i have the right to do what ever i want to it short of giving it out

here is my input on this. If you paid money for it. You own it. It is now yours. If you buy a dvd and want to watch it, throw it, spit on it, or splooge on it, it is yours to do so. If you want to make a backup of it in case it scratches, it would seem sensible that it would be legal to do that. BUT highly illegal to distribute it. Am i right on this? I am assuming I am right since websites like gamecopyworld are still around. And they have the laws on this subject on their site.

DVD's are like $20 a pop. If making a backup is illegal then these DVD manufacturers should allow customers to return scratched dvds for replacements.

Dont get me wrong, I am no angel and i have at one point done downloaded an mp3 or 2, but I think paying money for something an artist or programmer has created is worthy.

i didnt read every post on this thread so I am repeating what someone else posted, ssoory.

yup, downloading ripped/encoded movies is in fact illegal. youre allowed to make security/backup copies of movies you own personally, but nuffin else. no distribution or selling to others blahblah etc.

Everyone seems to have an opinion on this, but does anyone actually know what the law says?

Does anyone have legal references to back up what they say?

I live in Norway, and I will try to find out what the law says here and post it.

I suggest others do the same.

Would be more interesting than personal opinions, right?

:ninja:

ok, IANAL, but according to this it is *legal* to circumvent copyright protection in order to copy the work for personal backup - it is only illegal when the circumvention is to obtain unauthorized access to a copyrighted work (cable boxes to get ppv tv for instance) - this is in accordance with the "fair use" doctrine - anybody else have a different interpretation?

Of course it's illegal...but anyway there are lots of people have them stored in their computer and watch it at their leisure time. I think the government or authorities should tell the ISPs that the only way to limit the piracy content downloaded to users' pc is by restricting the download limit and enforcing some sort of filter that cannot let user download the illegal material of some sorts. In that way there will be reduction in piracy rate and therefore the ISPs can reduce the cost of bandwidth they have to pay.

Originally posted by Keldyn

It is illegal because you are obtaining, protected, retail merchandise for free. You are cheating, the developers, manufacturers, marketers etc. This stuff costs money and by downloading it for free you deprive the people who produce the products of it. I find this attitude typical of children, and warez kiddies. Heard the old adage nothing in life is free? This is no exception. A DVD is no different to ripping a cd. If you have not payed for it, then yeah,. its illegal.

isnt it good to have something free in life? for example neowin? :)

Originally posted by Attyk

There arent any loopholes guys. Why would you download it and delete it right away? You like wasting bandwidth? Its illegal even if you sample it, delete it in 24 hours, say its for your dying grandmother who fought in WW1 and WW2 and NAM, its illegal to have it period. Even if you own it, bought it, or got it from a friendly little green alien.

MP3's are just as illegal as downloading that pirated copy of Adobe Photoshop so anyone who tries to act high and mighty about piracy can just sit down now. Companies can fill you full of propoganda that they lose 22 billion dollars a year in piracy, or that you are ruinning the economy by pirating software but come on, its just that, propoganda. You think companies would pass savings on to you if piracy ended?

You dont get busted for downloading anything, plain and simple. John Law doesnt want people who need software, they want the people that supply it. The feds arent going to break down your door, your ISP wont cut you off and ban your ass, nothing earth shattering is going to happen.

This world is to chaotic and unfair to be bothered to uphold trivial laws in place to protect the rich. I could care less who gets hurt and who doesnt over online piracy. I dont see the fairness in this world so I will add to the termoil.

Call me a "warez monkey", call me whatever you like.

well said! gimme a banana! *jumps*

Originally posted by Attyk

There arent any loopholes guys. Why would you download it and delete it right away? You like wasting bandwidth? Its illegal even if you sample it, delete it in 24 hours, say its for your dying grandmother who fought in WW1 and WW2 and NAM, its illegal to have it period. Even if you own it, bought it, or got it from a friendly little green alien.

MP3's are just as illegal as downloading that pirated copy of Adobe Photoshop so anyone who tries to act high and mighty about piracy can just sit down now. Companies can fill you full of propoganda that they lose 22 billion dollars a year in piracy, or that you are ruinning the economy by pirating software but come on, its just that, propoganda. You think companies would pass savings on to you if piracy ended?

You dont get busted for downloading anything, plain and simple. John Law doesnt want people who need software, they want the people that supply it. The feds arent going to break down your door, your ISP wont cut you off and ban your ass, nothing earth shattering is going to happen.

This world is to chaotic and unfair to be bothered to uphold trivial laws in place to protect the rich. I could care less who gets hurt and who doesnt over online piracy. I dont see the fairness in this world so I will add to the termoil.

Call me a "warez monkey", call me whatever you like.

Although the only pirated media I "own" are Mp3s, I could not agree with you more. I'm going to put it bluntly: If you buy it in the first place, you should be able to copy it 15 billion times if you?d like as long as you're not (A) selling them, and (B.) giving them to everyone, left and right. A gift is a gift, and who the hell cares whether the government has created a law that doesn't allow you to share the medium that you bought. I believe that the same principles apply to software. If the software company isn't intuitive enough to have developed a system to deter warez, than that's too bad for them. However, if they have, THAT'S GREAT; it means that the crackers have to work a bit harder to try and bypass it. And this.... this is what makes the world go round.

then why did 2600 come under attack???

i think because it's still illegal to create/distribute such a device - though how you can circumvent something without creating something to circumvent it with is kinda puzzling - 2600 were distributing deCSS i believe which would apply to that law