PS3 May not be fully backwards compatible...

According to reports, a Sony spokesman said that it is hard to say if the PS3 will be completely backwards compatible, they are aiming to make it as backwards compatible as possible however.

We?ve plenty discussed Xbox 360 backward compatibility issues over the last few months, but we?ve nary addressed what?s in store for Sony?s PlayStation 3. Maybe it was the PlayStation 2?s recent difficulties in playing old (and even new) games that re-prompted the question, but it?s almost like people have been taking it for granted that the PS3 would be able to play PS2 games?especially after precedent was set by having the PS2 play original PlayStation games and they ran their it?s-gonna-be-backwards-compatible E3 launch in spite of Microsoft?s then-soft stance on the issue. But after Sony?s recent PS2 debacle overseas, it was reported that Sony spokesperson Reiko Sakamoto told the press, ?It?s hard to say the PlayStation 3 will be 100 percent backwards compatible, but as we said earlier this year we aim to make it so as much as possible.? If they?re having trouble making minor changes to the PS2 and actually leaving a bit of doubt as to whether the PS3 will work as expected, well, we?re not liking the sound of this, not one bit.

News Source : Joystiq.com

hmm another nail in the coffin for sony?

According to reports, a Sony spokesman said that it is hard to say if the PS3 will be completely backwards compatible, they are aiming to make it as backwards compatible as possible however.

News Source : Joystiq.com

586728494[/snapback]

What coffin?

The PS2 isn't 100% backward compatible with all PS titles. And the Xbox 360 won't be with all Xbox titles.

I just don't see how a console not being 100% backward compatible will have any major negative impact.

Game consoles don't really have a history of being backward compatible. I think the way most companies see it is that it is hard to implement and digs into their profits. They don't want kids diving into bargain bins for games. They want them to buy the latest and greatest. It's where they get most of their money. Be glad they are even thinking of any backward compatability. It gives them a larger game selection to choose from at launch and that's all.

first off, i think it wont be compatible with very few games, and second, who cares? really when i bought a ps2, did i rush home and put my ps1 games in it? i think to this day i havent played a single ps1 game on my ps2. pointless, i cant look back unless its really old like my snes and genesis, but i got all that on my computer via emulation

What coffin?

The PS2 isn't 100% backward compatible with all PS titles. And the Xbox 360 won't be with all Xbox titles.

I just don't see how a console not being 100% backward compatible will have any major negative impact.

586728547[/snapback]

Well Sony has been yelling to anyone they will listen that they have backwards compatibilty so this is a biiger deal for the PS3 then say the 360.

Well Sony has been yelling to anyone they will listen that they have backwards compatibilty so this is a biiger deal for the PS3 then say the 360.

586728669[/snapback]

They still have backward compatibility, maybe just not with 100% of their back-catalogue.

586728669[/snapback]

It's a bigger deal for the PS3 since they have been "yelling" about backwards compatability? Didn't XBox360 also "scream at the top of their lungs" that they would have backwards compatablility. I think it's a bigger deal for the XBox360 since they "screamed at the top of their lungs" whereas Sony has only been "yelling". :p

Nail in the coffin as sony have boasted about PS3 being "Fully" backwards compatible at E305 and they were having a go at M$ as that does not have full backwards compatibility.

More and more promises by sony are being broken, realisticly they are not very reliable anymore. Thier most successful console for me has to have been the PS1 (partially becoz there was hardly any other competition apart from the N64).

They simply say this to cover their asses. There will always be games that won't work (just like there are psx games that do not work on the ps2) and this just serves to keep expectations realistic. I don't think it'll be a problem for most of the market.

586728494[/snapback]

Oh please, you sound rediculous.

I can't think of one console or the PC for that matter that is 100% backwards compatible. The GBA has problems playing some older games, PS2 has problems with some PS1 games, the PC can't play many old games even using the DOSBox, etc. It isn't that big of a deal.

rediculous as i may sound but the way sony is handling things recently is not good.

and yes it is another blow to them as more and more feats are going to be sacrificed.

Network funtions were first to go and more were to follow.

rediculous as i may sound but the way sony is handling things recently is not good.

and yes it is another blow to them as more and more feats are going to be sacrificed.

Network funtions were first to go and more were to follow.

586729204[/snapback]

How are they handling things badly? So network functions dropped and some random PS1 and PS2 games not working are going to stop the majority of people from buying it?

How are they handling things badly?  So network functions dropped and some random PS1 and PS2 games not working are going to stop the majority of people from buying it?

586729459[/snapback]

have you been asleep in the last few days or summit. seriously wake up.

Sony is recieving negative publicity recently becase certain developers are un-happy etc etc and now this. maybe if your read other threads in the forum you would know. Also who said that people wont buy it?

if sony made something called sony sh*t then i bet people would still buy it only coz it wud have a sony logo on it. People will still buy the PS3 regardless of what it is capeble of. Maybe coz they want it to go with thier HD Sony TV and surround sound system. or maybe becoz its a sony product.....

:rolleyes:

have you been asleep in the last few days or summit. seriously wake up.
I need to wake up? You are the one who thinks backwards compatability is a nail in a console's coffin for a few games.
Sony is recieving negative publicity recently becase certain developers are un-happy etc etc and now this. maybe if your read other threads in the forum you would know.
Yes and developers were unhappy with the developing for the PS2 yet they still made games and it has the largest game library. Developers are going to develop for the console with the largest fanbase or whatever company will pay them for exclusives no matter how difficult it is to program. It is all about money for game developers, they could care less about the difficulty of programming for a console no matter how much they complain about it.
if sony made something called sony sh*t then i bet people would still buy it only coz it wud have a sony logo on it. People will still buy the PS3 regardless of what it is capeble of. Maybe coz they want it to go with thier HD Sony TV and surround sound system. or maybe becoz its a sony product.....
Did it ever come across your mind that people may like games that come out on the PS2 and that is why they bought it? Edited by Ridley Norfair

Game compatibility is not really going to bother me or many people and I dont think it will be a major selling point people will buy the PS3 because of new games and graphics. However sony lied again and yet another feature being removed from the PS3, next thing they will remove is the cell processor.lol

Everyone knew sony will do this, they make all sorts of claims a year or two before they launch a console and hype it up then slowly and systematically remove all the extra feature the sony fanboys boasted about.

Game compatibility is not really going to bother me or many people and I dont think it will be a major selling point people will buy the PS3 because of new games and graphics. However sony lied again and yet another feature being removed from the PS3, next thing they will remove is the cell processor.lol

Everyone knew sony will do this, they make all sorts of claims a year or two before they launch a console and hype it up then slowly and systematically remove all the extra feature the sony fanboys boasted about.

586729674[/snapback]

They didn't lie. They said it would be backwards compatible and it still will be. There's simply a chance that some off market game may not work in the new system due to nuances in the code. MS is saying the same basic thing.

Because some of us will still need to have two HUGE console under the TV set instead of one.

K'

586729878[/snapback]

The percentage of people who own and will care about the few off games that won't work will be too small to worry about.

It's a bigger deal for the PS3 since they have been "yelling" about backwards compatability?  Didn't XBox360 also "scream at the top of their lungs" that they would have backwards compatablility.  I think it's a bigger deal for the XBox360 since they "screamed at the top of their lungs" whereas Sony has only been "yelling". :p

586728849[/snapback]

MS hasnt been "screamed at the top of their lungs" that they'd have full compatability, they've been saying the top selling games, and then from there the games that sold less etc etc.

586728547[/snapback]

Because some of us will still need to have two HUGE console under the TV set instead of one.

K'

MS hasnt been "screamed at the top of their lungs" that they'd have full compatability, they've been saying the top selling games, and then from there the games that sold less etc etc.

586729887[/snapback]

That's correct. They plan on fully supporting the top 100 selling games. They figure if the emulator is capable of running those, it should handle most of the other games well.

first off, i think it wont be compatible with very few games, and second, who cares? really when i bought a ps2, did i rush home and put my ps1 games in it? i think to this day i havent played a single ps1 game on my ps2. pointless, i cant look back unless its really old like my snes and genesis, but i got all that on my computer via emulation

i agree with that the 1st PS1 games look so bad vs PS2, and with me about the xbox360 not play all xbox games, i dont care (i got my xbox in early 2004 so i dont have that many old xbox games)

But will be better than "top selling games" and via emulation of Xbox 1.5

586730013[/snapback]

and how do you think the ps3 is going to run the older games? Emulation of the ps2's hardware.