Is the new NHL better or worse?

What is your opinion of the new NHL?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion of the new NHL?

• Improved
    • No Difference
    • Worse

The new NHL- an entertainment device. The NHL says the fans love it; the players and coaches have some doubts. What is your opinion on the issue? Is the the improvement the NHL has needed? Are you frustrated by the rule changes? Or do you feel that little has changed?

Have your say, hockey fans.

To quote Herbal Thought from Dark Angel:

"It's all good, all the time"

586734507[/snapback]

True, it's hard not to love hockey, but the game has changed for the worse.

It's better for the fans because it is more exciting to watch. Some coaches and players will complain at first and there will always be people complaining about the game at any point. Most important are the fans and if you've seen the games you know the story

True, it's hard not to love hockey, but the game has changed for the worse.

586734527[/snapback]

Have we had any zero - zero ties this year?

How many did the league have at this point in 2003-2004?

A pugilist that can't play the game can no longer hack the new NHL. Four of the seven top penalty minute getters in 2003-2004 are now out of the game.

Have we had any zero - zero ties this year?

How many did the league have at this point in 2003-2004?

A pugilist that can't play the game can no longer hack the new NHL.  Four of the seven top penalty minute getters in 2003-2004 are now out of the game.

586734555[/snapback]

I watch the games, and it hasn't changed in entertainment value for me. Goals don't necessarily mean it's exciting, I love it even when it is 1-0. I watch the game, and for the most part it is the same. But then there is the massive number of penalties. I agree with Pat Quinn on this one, about how powerplays win games. I am sick of watching powerplays. It stinks. Watching powerplays stinks.

The biggest problem: There are 30 teams. Not only for attendance and popularity in areas that don't want hockey, and the fact that teams are losing money because of that, but the skill level is diluted. Imagine 6 teams. That would be the equivalent of dispersing every team except for the four best players. That was why the Original Six was so great. Every player was great.

I realize that the NHL is a business, and it must please the fans. That's why I feel so unfortunate to not be a fan anymore, and join the displeased minority.

And if the NHL is so serious about it's fans, lower the damn ticket prices.

I watch the games, and it hasn't changed in entertainment value for me. Goals don't necessarily mean it's exciting, I love it even when it is 1-0. I watch the game, and for the most part it is the same. But then there is the massive number of penalties. I agree with Pat Quinn on this one, about how powerplays win games. I am sick of watching powerplays. It stinks. Watching powerplays stinks.

586738223[/snapback]

As I said before, the number of penalties cannot last. Players will either adjust to the new rules or the refs will become less strict. Something has got to give.

The biggest problem: There are 30 teams. Not only for attendance and popularity in areas that don't want hockey, and the fact that teams are losing money because of that, but the skill level is diluted. Imagine 6 teams. That would be the equivalent of dispersing every team except for the four best players. That was why the Original Six was so great. Every player was great.

586738223[/snapback]

They are not going to reduce the number of teams and they are not going back to the original six. Back in those days, the players worked a mine or a loading dock during the summer. You can't pay a guy $4 million dollars a season based on the revenue from six teams. We need to look forward not backward.

And if the NHL is so serious about it's fans, lower the damn ticket prices.

586738223[/snapback]

They did that this year. Prices came down 7.5% on average.

I love the new NHL as well. A team can't just sit on the lead anymore. It is so much better and leads to better plays. I mean all the stats you hear are awesome. With the new icing rules Icings are down over 50%, the red line has opened things up and everything is just going smoother. I loved NHL last season too but I love it more with the new rules.

The only thing is players need to figure out how to get guys out of the zone. I heard someone saying that they can do what they do in basket ball for this as the rules are alike for this kind of contact.

I love the new NHL as well. A team can't just sit on the lead anymore. It is so much better and leads to better plays. I mean all the stats you hear are awesome. With the new icing rules Icings are down over 50%, the red line has opened things up and everything is just going smoother. I loved NHL last season too but I love it more with the new rules.

The only thing is players need to figure out how to get guys out of the zone. I heard someone saying that they can do what they do in basket ball for this as the rules are alike for this kind of contact.

586738528[/snapback]

Another possible benefit of the new salary cap. It is now conceivable that Winnipeg could get a franchise back.

I like it. I've already watched more games this year than I did all of the last season of hockey. More exciting and any game that goes to shootout is just gut-wrenching. It's great lol.