USB or Ethernet?

I was just thinking but is hooking your cable modem up to your ethernet port a better way then puting it into your USB port? Is there any real difference?

go ethernet, with USB it uses more CPU time as well as software running in the background, not to mention eithernet can go 100mbps while USB 1.1 is only 4.4mbs (around there)

I have both a 3Com 3C509x 10/100 Nic & a CATC USB Ethernet Adapter.

I mainly use the 3com nic, but I sometimes use the USB to change my IP address.

I seem to do better on speed tests with the USB for D/L speed but for overall performance I stick to the NIC .

Originally posted by SYNTHETIC

I was just thinking but is hooking your cable modem up to your ethernet port a better way then puting it into your USB port? Is there any real difference?

wow, this is a toughy...hmmm .let me ponder this. for a second

10Mbps/100Mbps vs. 12Mbps?

hmmm i'm still unsure...eh its monday ;)

It would be nice if I could use my NIC port but it's going all crazy on me! Not sure what the problem is? Windows says it's fine but I can't receive any signals from my ISP, I called them and they said it might be fried out? The thing is I just got it well just got my mobo it's a ABIT AT7 and I was using the NIC port off that.

Originally posted by xpablo

I have both a 3Com 3C509x 10/100 Nic & a CATC USB Ethernet Adapter.

I mainly use the 3com nic, but I sometimes use the USB to change my IP address.

I seem to do better on speed tests with the USB for D/L speed but for overall performance I stick to the NIC .

why not just do an IP release/renew?

Go with the NIC if you can, unless the only thing on your

USB, is the broadband connection.

I had a friend, who had a cable company install her broadband on her USB port. Worked great until she

started up her webcam online, then BOOM......her connection would die, until she rebooted. Why?

USB is a SHARED resource, 12 meg max. If the broadband connection is idle at the time something else needs the space, it steals it from the other. The connection between your computer and the cable box is severed. I popped in a cheap NIC, and connected it there, and she hasn't been knocked off since.

:alien:

Well I will try again tonight to see if it wants to work, I don't want to go out and buy a new NIC card I know the one I have now can't be broken already!

Well i havent even pluged anything into it and I know its not going to work because Windows didnt put that little LAN unpluged icon in my systray, Is this a windows problem or is it my mobo? It all started when I did a reinstal. If anyone can help me to get this to work again that would be great!

Originally posted by creamhackered

Ethernet all the way, I wish I could hook my USB modem up by Ethernet :(

are you being sarcastic?

if you're not, YOU NEVER want to hook it up via USB.

i use usb for my modem, as 2 NICs would drag my performance down quite a bit in games and take a minute or so longer to load

with usb i get good performance, and my network runs (i now only have one NIC)

Im pretty sure the reason her connection died when you plugged in her webcam is that by default usb devices are allowed to turn themselves off to save power, im sure that was what the problem was.

And anyway, i have a 512k cable connection, which uses about 100k/sec max (apart from spikes at the start of a connection)

So i dont think thats too taxing on the 12meg of bandwidth

*Sigh*, for the people who say get ethernet because of 100mbs..........what cable modem do you know of that uses all of that? USB covers the bandwidth fine, and if you had a web cam and/or a large usb hub, it would make sense to get an ethernet, but speed wise there are no noticeable differences. You choose what's best for you, although NIC's are probably more stable, but USB is easy to hook up, so the decision is yours.