WHY is OSX 10.2 $120???

Lets take a look at X.2...

About 60% OS X, original release

About 15% OS X.1, second release

About 25% OS X.2, third release

You've already paid for about 75% of whats in X.2, 25% is the new features, thus you should only be paying 25% of the price, which is around 35$ And I think we can ALL agree that 35$ is a reasonable price. But steve jobs wants to charge you 129$, for things you have ALREADY PAID FOR. Now tell me this, why are you paying for what you already paid for?

Apple would be wise to release an UPGRADE version of OS X.2, with only the updates on it (like X.1).

Originally posted by JZolloXP

Lets take a look at X.2...

About 60% OS X, original release

About 15% OS X.1, second release

About 25% OS X.2, third release

You've already paid for about 75% of whats in X.2, 25% is the new features, thus you should only be paying 25% of the price, which is around 35$ And I think we can ALL agree that 35$ is a reasonable price. But steve jobs wants to charge you 129$, for things you have ALREADY PAID FOR. Now tell me this, why are you paying for what you already paid for?

Apple would be wise to release an UPGRADE version of OS X.2, with only the updates on it (like X.1).

Haha, I love the way you just come up with figures like that off the top of your head :rolleyes: :right:

So, because Windows XP has a taskbar, start button, basic media playing facilities etc. does that mean that all those people have just payed for what they already have?

Are you seriously trying to tell me that there is nearly $400 of new stuff in windows XP to make me buy it?

Originally posted by Amadeke

Schokz,

I guess all programs on your PC are paid, lol

I am not justifying warez, but it made M$ big.

If they continue the .NET strategie, things as Linux will grow.

Software developers make you pay to correct the mistakes they made or for things they "forgot", cool eh.

hmm... well there are probably going to countinue with the .net stragity, so yes... Linux will probably get some more people that usualy would have warezed Windows.

lol... yep. no warez on this computer. I must be one of the small percent of this site that doesn't have any warez on my pc. :D

Then of course there's 2k to XP, having used both OS's at both home and a work environment I would gladly stick my head on the line and say the upgrade from 10.1 to 10.2 is bigger then 2k to XP. I'm sure many would agree.

Yeah, XP is hardly any better :)

IF you buy your mac between MWNY and august 24... not a true upgrade.

Originally posted by BlindLabel013

It's $120.00 to buy and $19.99 to upgrade.

Originally posted by shockz

As other people have said...

Windows 2000 = 5.0

Windows XP = 5.1

Just a .1 increase, just like the mac os.

Exactly.. why pay $100 for a slight increase to WinXP? Its how the monopoly OS companies work (Windows is to the PC as MacOS is to Apple Hardware.. they are both monopolies on their platforms.)

i think what irks most mac users (myself included) is the fact that there is not an upgrade price. new, OS 10.2 is going to be worth the $120. but, what about us who bought a system with OSX a year ago, or purchased OSX a year ago? i don't think that is a very fair price.

Originally posted by wtmcgee

i think what irks most mac users (myself included) is the fact that there is not an upgrade price. new, OS 10.2 is going to be worth the $120. but, what about us who bought a system with OSX a year ago, or purchased OSX a year ago? i don't think that is a very fair price.

Yeah, I understand. Looking at it from a new users point of view, $129 for a new OS is a good price. I myself only bought my iMac in April but now I have an additional $129 cost.

You can always grab the edu version for $69, and there is a federal employee version for around that price.

And if you're that way inclined I'm sure they'll be available on the net, add this to the fact that Apple doesn't have serial numbers or any form of WPA make it easier and less hassle then XP.

Personally I'm gonna try and grab the edu version, I've also seen loads of other users ordering the edu version (even though they're not a student) direct from the Apple store claiming that Apple didn't require ID as long as you entered a valid college and city/state.

I've also seen loads of other users ordering the edu version (even though they're not a student)

Yes, you don't have to be a student. :)

Like myself.

(ICT support for a secondary school)

--

unspec

Originally posted by unspec

Like myself.

--

unspec

Yeah I know, but the I'm talking about people with no connection to edu at all, just trying to blag it!

Originally posted by unspec

Like myself.

--

unspec

You do the same thing as I do till I get a diff job, temporary at the mo :D

I find it interesting that people bash Microsoft for the (good) features they add to Windows yet when Apple adds them to their operating system people praise them for their innovation. I guess it's just hip and cool to bash microsoft no matter what. Like them bundling ichat, integrating quicktime into the OS and cd burning into the finder. When MS bundled the equivalent things to that people cried foul and bashed them. Except when they bundled basic skinning. If they didn't include those things then people would have bashed them for not having as much funcitonality as the competition. So there is no winning for them. There are people who still claim that Windows bluescreens 10 times a day though that is true about 9x that's not nessasarily true about an NT based windows.

I do think however that there are enough features to warrent paying for them in the new MacOSX update nobody needs to diminish the updates that where put into WindowsXP over Win2k in order to justify it. Just like the new MacOSX has more than just a couple of new utilities and icons WindowsXP has more than just a prettier interface over Win2k. I know because not only did it loook better but it fixed a few issues that I had with win2k (like it not booting at all because of something it didn't like in my bios that couldn't be disabled) and it fixed my friends compatibility issues with some games and hardware under win2k.

I do also agree though that the people who warez a OS or program can't complain because they didn't buy the right to complain.

Oh yeah, and you don't need longhorn for hardware acceleration under XP, if you have a decent video card with decent drivers transparency is accelerated and with windowblinds skinning is too... then if you add windowfx2 you can have direct3d accelerated special effects. And even though the first 2 arent being done by direct3d or opengl they still offload the task from your cpu and make it faster.

And BTW I'm not bashing either OS, I'm just pointing out that in both cases there are more than just fluff in the updates.

Ok, rant over...

Originally posted by smoke

Oh yeah, and you don't need longhorn for hardware acceleration under XP, if you have a decent video card with decent drivers transparency is accelerated and with windowblinds skinning is too... then if you add windowfx2 you can have direct3d accelerated special effects. And even though the first 2 arent being done by direct3d or opengl they still offload the task from your cpu and make it faster.

I'm perfectly aware of these apps, and windows FX 2 is a fantastic example. But I was talking about integration in the OS.

Either way I have to agree with all your points, XP is a fantastic OS and my favorite version of windows, I too had issues with 2k and my computer and I am all to aware of the difference, I was just pointing out to the mac bashers that might not be quite so aware of the improvements in either 10.2 OR XP.

Originally posted by Timan

well most people thought it was going to be called os 10.5 but just .2 so that means there is still alot in store for os 10, i really can't wait till tehy drop aqua ;)

Why should they drop it? It's pretty easy (at least prior to 10.2) to change the appearance. As a brand new mac user, I am a little upset that they haven't provided current users a lower priced upgrade path. As for speed improvements. . .what exactly is speedier? Most things on my eMac open almost instanteously.