Word 12 Review

Microsoft Word 12 Pre-Release Review

The new version of Microsoft Word is very nice. Most changes you can make can also be previewed. Instead of clicking to actually make a change, you can hover over the desired change and see the effects, without actually committing.

All of the old fashion menus, as well as toolbars, have disappeared, except the file menu. Everything is now located in tabs at the top of the window. There are 6 tabs: Write, Insert, Page Layout, References, Mailings, and Review.

Each tab has a comprehensive set of tools, separated into little boxes. I think the most important tab, and the one I will discuss most, is Write. The first box has the usual copy, cut, paste commands, as well as a new one, Format Painter. The next box, called font, holds the Font face, size, and style (which now by default includes strikethrough, subscript, and superscript). Also included is the much needed, but simple, change case feature, allowing you to change the case of letters and phrases without retyping them. The next box is Quick Text Formatting. This early implementation sports a buggy, but useful, feature that changes the current paragraph to that style when you roll over. The last two boxes are Proofing and Find; nothing new here. Before I move to the next tab, I believe I should mention that now, whenever you highlight text, a box appears right on top of it with the options to change font size, color, face, and style.

The next tab, Insert contains what used to be the drawing toolbar and tons of new features. The left most box, called Pages, which has the options to create a new page, cover page, and page break. The next command, in its own box, is table, which will create a table, as well as embed a worksheet. The next section, Illustrations, is a complete evolution of the drawing toolbar. All of the auto shapes can be inserted from here, as well as pictures, IGX graphics, and charts. Insert also contains a solution to the old awkward placement of header and footer. It now has its own box, and with it an easy way to insert page numbers. The Text box gives you the options to insert Text Boxes, Quick Parts, Word Art, Date and Time, Objects, and Signature Lines. And finally, two completely new features: you can now insert symbols and equations without having to find the pictures on the net.

I'm not going to describe all of the tabs in details, only mention that Microsoft has made citing references, writing letters, and reviewing others' work much easier with those tabs. There is also a 7th invisible tab that changes depending on what your doing, if your working with pictures, it becomes a picture tab, etc?

This preliminary version of Word 12 is great. It is sometimes buggy and some features aren't even implemented, but it is a great start to a revolutionary office suit that will leave competitors in the dust.

If you liked this review, visit msbetas.org

Here are some screenshots (NOTE: TWO SCREENSHOTS, ONE FILE):

wordscreens6vc.th.jpg

The basic layout:

wordscreen14xj.th.jpg

The only old-fashion menu left, file:

wordscreen21us.th.jpg

The new roll-over change previews:

wordscreen39sg.th.jpg

Edited by marco13185

Now that I look at it again, it doesn't look that bad, but I still wish you could use toolbars instead. It won't be a problem on my system, but my school still uses all their computers at 800x600... using the two toolbars Word has by default is bad enough.

Pwn3r did you have a point in posting? I mean, I realize you wanted to type in big letters and such, but really now? Did you have a point? ...yeah, didn't think so.

Anyways, Marco I would echo actually what you wrote. It's a great looking product that is shaping up nicely. I can't wait to see future beta's and the official release. I was very worried to see how the ribbon idea would work out, but it is done very well and it all makes sense once you use it. nice review :yes:

^^ Honestly mate, I was very hesitant to accept the new ribbon, but I've been using it for a few days now and I can tell you that I now can use features I didn't even realize were in Office. It's very powerful in the way it changes to your current selection. I've been able to do things with Excel that I never would have imagined before. :yes:

Ahh theres one in every crowd with their fingers on the reply button waiting to spill the bleeding obvious, particularly with microsoft betas...

But cheers for the review, I gotta say this new direction with office was slight surprisingly its nice to hear how a user has reacted with it, and after looking at the screenies im thinking it could go alright even if a fair bit of it does change as the beta stages progress.

This  preliminary version of Word 12 is great.  It is sometimes buggy and some features aren't even implemented

Hmmm, so now great = buggy and lacking features. :blink:

Do you think that the new UI will really be useful for veteran users of office (lots of people) and for new users alike? I'm still undecided on this issue.

Hopefully, by the time this comes out, computers won't be able to run at 800x600.

BTW, do your school monitors support highers resolutions?

586747161[/snapback]

Yeah, they do. The problem is that you can't change it.

I love our useless tech people... floppy discs and flash drives are pretty much banned, and if you have to use one you have to go get it "scanned" and "loaded"

Hmmm, so now great = buggy and lacking features. :blink:

Do you think that the new UI will really be useful for veteran users of office (lots of people) and for new users alike?  I'm still undecided on this issue.

586747258[/snapback]

Well, I kind of overstated. One or two of the new features are only partially implemented. But you have to remember, I'm talking great for a pre-beta build.

And yes, the new UI is very convenient, for newbies and pros alike. Everything is more conveniently located and positioned. Sure, some pros might have learned the old interface extremely well, but since this interface is better, they will simply adapt to this one, and probably fall in love with it as I have.

Yeah, they do. The problem is that you can't change it.

I love our useless tech people... floppy discs and flash drives are pretty much banned, and if you have to use one you have to go get it "scanned" and "loaded"

586747265[/snapback]

Lol, on our monitors they default really low, but they forgot to disable the Integrated Graphics tray icon, so we just change it through there.

Yeah, but why post a review of a leaked beta?

Because unprofessional journalism looks better. :p :p

But according to your logic, why post a review of a leaked version of Vista?

But according to your logic, why post a review of a leaked version of Vista?

586747307[/snapback]

Because it's legal to post it since you are a connect or MSDN subscriber and (-5048) it doesn't break NDA

I hope :ninja:

The first  box has the usual copy, cut, paste commands, as well as a new one, Format  Painter.

586746969[/snapback]

Format painter has been around since Word 2000! I use it all the time, it's really handy. Also, you can use the keyboard to "copy" formatting and "paste" it - CTRL+SHIFT+C/V. :)

I never signed an NDA.

Also, please go stick your head far up your *** now. You have succeeded in being an ***hole.

I hope you enjoyed yourself.

Format painter has been around since Word 2000! I use it all the time, it's really handy. Also, you can use the keyboard to "copy" formatting and "paste" it - CTRL+SHIFT+C/V. smile.gif

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that. :)

Edit: me and pwn3r have sorted out our problems :D

Edited by marco13185

I'm with you Pwn3r, i find it very funny that just after some software leeks ppl start writting reviews about it. I dont mind people writting reviews but it couldnt be more obvios that this person is using a leeked copy. They may aswell post links were they got it and thats against the rules.

Pics look nice anyway

personally i could care less what it looks like...

i get in, edit my work, hit print.. and office goes back to the back of my apps closet. lol

as long as this thing runs, and the gui isn't obtrusive, im happy; and if they made excel uber user friendly (i suck at spreadsheets), i'd be ecstatic. lol

personally i could care less what it looks like...

i get in, edit my work, hit print.. and office goes back to the back of my apps closet. lol

as long as this thing runs, and the gui isn't obtrusive, im happy;  and if they made excel uber user friendly (i suck at spreadsheets), i'd be ecstatic. lol

586749102[/snapback]

Lol...i know what you mean about excel.

Yes, excel confuses me at times too. Everything is hidden away in some obscure menu, and I have to search the internet to find out how to use it, or even worse... ask clippy.

Disclaimer: I've only seen screenshots of Office 12 and have no firsthand experience with it, so if I'm spouting a load of bull this post...you know...

Personally, I don't like the new ribbon thing. The problem is that I (as well as many other users) have grown used to the toolbars and menus being right where they "should be." I would feel completely disorientated and uncomfortable using any interface other than the one I've been using for about 10 years.

Unfortunately, Microsoft's not going to include a "classic" mode :(

But that's just my two cents. I hope that Office 12 turns out to be good.