Samsung DLP or Sony RP LCD!?

Hello all~new member here :D

I m planning to get a new tv

I was at bb and iwas torn between a samsung 42 DLP and a sony 42 RP LCD.

same price

very similar spec i believe

so Which one is better?

the sony seems brighter but i believe it doesn't have DVI input(no!?)

does RP LCD have/develope dead pixel like LCD?

does RP LCD last longer than LCD?

which one will last longer?(DLP,RP LCD)

It's for my bedroom which means gaming, movie and everything

and I have my tv on most of the time.

I'm prettty new to this kind of stuff

help a frd out if u don't mind :D :blush:

First of all, welcome to Neowin!

Back on topic. Either one would work for your situation. I own a 50" Sony projection LCD and, I must say, it's amazing. It was last generation and included a single DVI connection, so the new ones should also.

As for dead pixels, yes, it is still possible to get them on a RP LCD, but not on DLP. As a matter of fact, I had to return 2 Sony televisions before I got one without pixel problems (3rd time was the charm). However, I have heard that was a bad time for Sony LCD's, so you will more than likely have much better luck than I did.

I know this is very indecisive, but I hope it helps a little.

Both have HDMI.

Both sets have comparable bulb life, though I find the image quality on the Samsung (when configured properly) to look better than the image on the Sony.

Alright i'm not a LCD / DLP guru but here's two pictures from a magazine telling about each technology.

LCD: techlcdsmall3xt.th.png

DLP: techdlpnplasmasmall1wu.th.png

Edited by vlsi0n

We are also considering between these two televisions and can't seam to decide. They say that DLP give you darker blacks and uniformaty, but have the Rainbow Effect as previously stated. LCD have a screen door effect which means that is you get to close, you will see a screen door from the pixels. The advatage to LCD's is they don't have a Rainbow Effect. It does seam like DLP technolgy is better, but I'm not sure. Anybody have anything to add to this topic?

thx guys, :)

I'll go look at the samsung again, it was hard for me to see its potential when it was only 3 ifeet away from me below my eye level..

I thikn I'm gettign the DLP :D

I read from a magazine that typical LCD has a 50% fill factor, while DLP has 91%

that's a good thing, right!?

yes, it is. I'm sure people will bitch at me for saying it, but ask about the stores extended service. If they cover the bulb, get the plan.

I just made this very same decision.

Ultimately its viewer preference. I went to look at both sets and ultimately went with the Samsung DLP. I took found the colors to be more vibrant on the Sammy, and the black levels to be spot on. FYI - LCD CCD's can't produce a TRUE black, its basically a dark dark blue. I took the Criterion edition of Red Beard with me to check otu the black levels on both sets. Also, the SOny was more sharp, but to be honest it was a bit too sharp for me.

As far as extended warranty, I would definately recommend getting one on a Rear Projection set. They have a lot more components to go wrong. The bulb will pay for the warranty itself. Also, heaven forbid yoru color wheel goes out, you'll be happy you have it. For me it came to this. I could either get a 42" Plasma, or a 50+ inch RPJ AND a warranty for the same money. I would rather have a larger set and a 5 year warranty. That's just me though.

Hope this helps.

I love my Sammy!!

BTW, not picking nits... But its MOOT point, not MUTE point... :-)

Lastly, I have the 5067 in case anyone cares...

My upsampling DVD player should be coming soon. I went with the Sammy 850 model that has HDMI and can use the Sammy AnyNet service...

yes, it is. I'm sure people will bitch at me for saying it, but ask about the stores extended service. If they cover the bulb, get the plan.

586785703[/snapback]

Went to bb today and Turn out that BB doesn't have this no dead pixel policy. :( I though u(or someone else) said they do.

Well, neway

Hate to do this(since u work for bb)hope u can answer my questions if u don't mind.

So I'll get unlimited part(include lamp) within the four years PSP plan, right!?

And what if they damage(scratch or sth) my tv during their fixing process?

Then again, thx u guys :yes:

They do have a no dead pixel policy though it may not apply to LCD Rear Projo's. As for the bulb replacement, yes, it's any amount of replacements within 4 years, renewable after 4 years. If they damage the set, the situation gets escalated and someone will handle it from there, usually in district and then upwards to corporate.