Samsung LNR238W? (23" LCD HDTV)

Was wondering what people's thoguths are on this monitor? It's the official Xbox360 Kiosk display tv. It also has a built-in DVI connector that would be perfect for replacing my PC Monitor ^_^.

How's the quality/clarity though? 3000:1 contrast seems amazing not to mention all the other features this tv has.

It's expensive but.. I really want a great tv to replace my PC monitor and be of course my new xbox360 display.

I'm getting the premium xbox360 so it comes with component cables, should be good enough right? Or should I persue getting a set of Monster cables?

It has HDMI, not DVI. The hardware itself gives you 1000:1 contrast and then the DNIe software will fill in the rest when you turn it on. It's a great set and definitely worth the money. As for the cables, as someone who goes against the naysayers and usually recommends Monster cables, I'd say stick with the OEM ones since I doubt Monster would have any out for the 360 on launch day anyway.

It has HDMI, not DVI. The hardware itself gives you 1000:1 contrast and then the DNIe software will fill in the rest when you turn it on. It's a great set and definitely worth the money. As for the cables, as someone who goes against the naysayers and usually recommends Monster cables, I'd say stick with the OEM ones since I doubt Monster would have any out for the 360 on launch day anyway.

586802360[/snapback]

Oh ok. Well actually monster is the official thirdparty cable provider this time around, and you can already order off the net the cables (they say nov.22nd release).

And you might be right about the DVI thing.. But the official site says it has HDMI, Component, Composite, S-video, DVI..

Glad to know it's worth the money though.

Oh, ok. I'd still stick with the OEM's until you decide you want to splurge more for the Monster stuff.

As for the set, it does not have DVI. I know this for a fact. They are probably eluding to the fact you can get a DVI -> HDMI converter and use that.

Ohhh it says it has PC Input D-sub 15 pin (VGA~WXGA)

That would be a normal VGA correct? 

What would be better, DVI > HDMI convertor or using Analog VGA?

586802427[/snapback]

Lol, we posted at the same time. It's better to use the VGA. You can't get full resolution from a PC using the hdmi->dvi connector.

Oh, ok. I'd still stick with the OEM's until you decide you want to splurge more for the Monster stuff.

As for the set, it does not have DVI. I know this for a fact. They are probably eluding to the fact you can get a DVI -> HDMI converter and use that.

586802407[/snapback]

Ohh ok. Does that work well? Or no? I mean I'm hoping to possibly replace my PC monitor with this thing as well as use it for other purposes. Just hoping it doesn't result in blurry text or something.

Ohhh it says it has PC Input D-sub 15 pin (VGA~WXGA)

That would be a normal VGA correct?

What would be better, DVI > HDMI convertor or using Analog VGA?

*EDIT* lol posted this at the same time as you. So I'm guessing that means you think VGA would work better. Alrighty :). Have any idea how good the quality is?

Lol, we posted at the same time. It's better to use the VGA. You can't get full resolution from a PC using the hdmi->dvi connector.

586802430[/snapback]

Haha great! Lol we actually posted at the same time twice, only it was an edit for me :p.

Appreciate the help! :D. Looks like a great tv, just hope the xbox360 comes on time (I'm buying it from an unconventional place, an online store for mostly PC equipment.. But they are always reliable for anything PC related so hopefully works out.. Waited too bloody long so the normal game/electronic retailers were out of the question).

If you don't mind one final question, what do you prefer? 720p or 1080i? I'm so bloody new to HDTV haha. I do know what progressive/interlacing is, but when you're so used to using PC monitors and simply resolutions it gets a bit confusing. Does the sacrafice of progressive justify the increased resolution? In games/ect?

bangbang023, I was under the impression that using a dvi>hdmi convertor had no quality / data loss since they are both digital connections.

Is this true?

Haha great!  Lol we actually posted at the same time twice, only it was an edit for me :p.

Appreciate the help! :D.  Looks like a great tv, just hope the xbox360 comes on time (I'm buying it from an unconventional place, an online store for mostly PC equipment.. But they are always reliable for anything PC related so hopefully works out..  Waited too bloody long so the normal game/electronic retailers were out of the question).

If you don't mind one final question, what do you prefer? 720p or 1080i?  I'm so bloody new to HDTV haha.  I do know what progressive/interlacing is, but when you're so used to using PC monitors and simply resolutions it gets a bit confusing.  Does the sacrafice of progressive justify the increased resolution? In games/ect?

586802439[/snapback]

It really depends. I'm a sports/action movie guy so 720p makes more sense since it handles fast paced action better.

bangbang023, I was under the impression that using a dvi>hdmi convertor had no quality / data loss since they are both digital connections.

Is this true?

586802451[/snapback]

There shouldn't be any quality loss. However, the Samsungs are specifically designed to only give full PC full resolution over the VGA input.

It really depends. I'm a sports/action movie guy so 720p makes more sense since it handles fast paced action better.

There shouldn't be any quality loss. However, the Samsungs are specifically designed to only give full PC full resolution over the VGA input.

586802577[/snapback]

Good to know. Well I'll try straight VGA and see how it is. I'll probally need to pick up some high quality VGA cables just incase though, maybe from Monster.

If it doesn't suit me and I decide to go the route of HDMI > DVI what brand of coverter offers the best quality?

Thanks for all the info btw ^_^.

Trust me, you don't want to go dvi for your PC. When I say it doesn't go full res, I mean, literally, the image doesn't fill the whole screen.

586802859[/snapback]

ECK.. Didn't realize you mean't that lol.

Yeah me thinks VGA will be better lol.

But you can make adjustments to the DVI (especially with higher-end video cards). I mean unless it's just a complete screwup within the Samsung.

ECK.. Didn't realize you mean't that lol.

Yeah me thinks VGA will be better lol.

But you can make adjustments to the DVI (especially with higher-end video cards).  I mean unless it's just a complete screwup within the Samsung.

586802895[/snapback]

You can ask StevoFC who had first hand experience setting it up, it's simply best to use the VGA and it gives a very good picture doing so.

It's not cheaper:

Samsung LN-R238W 23 in Flat Screen LCD TV = $679

Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW 24 in LCD Monitor = $930

586804188[/snapback]

What the.. Where did you get that price for the R238W?? I havn't seen it that cheap anywhere.

yeah, i found the same price.

i always use one of those websites that scour different online stores for the lowest prices. it's usually pretty good at finding it. anyway, here's what cnet came up with: $693

as for the monitor, i just picked myself up a LG 26lx1d last week, for nearly the same reason. i'm glad i read up on the HDMI info, before deciding to use it as my main monitor.

It's not cheaper:

Samsung LN-R238W 23 in Flat Screen LCD TV = $679

Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW 24 in LCD Monitor = $930

586804188[/snapback]

didn't know u can get it that cheap

but u still have to pay for shipping, right?

and u know, u can always lower the dell's price with some coupon/s

they also don't charge u(shipping) if u want to exchange within the first 30days(sth like that)

I'm looking to buy a LNR238W even though I live in the UK.

Would it being NTSC have any effect on other peripherals such as DVD players, UK XBox 360 ?

586810483[/snapback]

There should be a UK equivalent with a slightly different model number. LA or something like that. As for the LNR238W, it being NTSC shouldn't matter as long as you don't run through the coaxial (tuner). I just got home from work and I'm fried, but that sounds right to me.