Is Limewire and Bearshare illegal?

Question

17 answers to this question

You downloading the copyrighted music is the illegal part.

Having the software and using it is not illegal. But if you use it to share copyrighted files then you're breaking the law.

The people above are correct. The program itself isn't illegal because if it were, it would have been removed a long time ago. It's what people share that's illegal. If you download a song made by someone on the network and he says that it's allowed to distribute it along the network than it's not illegal. If you download a song by, lets say Britney Spears, then you are doing illegal stuff as she did not give permission to share it on the P2P network...

Hope that makes sense. :huh:

The Limewire download site makes you answer the question: "Will you be using Limewire to download copyrighted content?" If the answer is yes, they redirect you to another page, but if it's no, then you get to download it.

Limewire is legal now because they were forced to implement a filter that stops you sharing copyrighted stuff. Don't know about bearshare.

586805390[/snapback]

hmm...ok...

Limewire is legal now because they were forced to implement a filter that stops you sharing copyrighted stuff. Don't know about bearshare.

586805390[/snapback]

yea and u have the option to ignore it :p

it is legal to have these programs no matter where you are. Canada it is actualy legal for example: They where going to make a law that said that people could not share music(i have not looked throughly into anything else) but the election we are currently having stopped this and the bill was never passed though i think it will be later.

Even if it is passed then you will still be able to share them. Also the rule implies that to convict you they must have your IP and because many people's IP changes all the time it is hard to prove if you have one of those computors who's fault it is(i have one and from website trackers i have found this out).

In the United states i never looked to much into it but belive it is illeagal but i belive they may also have it legal to download but not to share. I think i remember hearing that in the news. Another thing is the exact law may change from state to state from my knowlege of te US system such things commmonly are very varyed. I suggest looking it up on google.

p2p's are completly LEGAL its the sharing of copywrited material that is illegal.

and in Canada download music and such isnt actually legal, but there is no law/s against it.

ive heard of this being taken to court and stuff and one of the ones i saw the judge argued that, if the sharing of copywrited material is illegal why are there scanners/printers and copiers in libraries. :rofl: (that was only one point)

Having the software is completely legal, all you have to worry about is downloading copyrighted material. But seeing as the Gnutella network basically is made up of copyrighted material some people associate the actual program as being illegal. Hell, one of my friends thinks that it's all legal and that's why Limewire hasn't been shut down. Took me awhile to explain to him that the program isn't illegal but what you're downloading is.