Subwoofer Position

I fixed that problem with my LG system (can't hear bass). It turns out, someone played with the settings and set the DB at -5 for the sub. I can hear the bass a lot better (more bass goes behind TV for some reason) but I'm wondering, where would be the best place to put my sub?

Here's my current setup (i'm not an artist :p)

Oh geez, and to think I was going to suggest making sure the setting was right but decided against it. I didn't want to sound condescending and didn't know how to say it without sounding so.

As for the sub, I'd put it in either of these places (may involve some speaker movement):

I would put them here...and, I edited in paint, so forgive me, but place approx. around squggles for "recommended" performance....of course, you could always experiment....

For general subwoofers (nice computer speakers or regular home theater multi speaker systems) the average distance you want to have a sub is about 7 feet from where the listener is located. Just a general rule of thumb for room setups such as this. Try elevating it off the ground a bit as well to have a more crisp sound instead of a complete room rumble of distortion.

Now it's different with club stack speakers of course, but that's a completely different thing ;)

without all of the paint, that wraps up my drawing! (paint was quicker at the time)(Y) I agree! %100

edit: does your sub fire towards the sides or down? That would also make a difference.

One thing, you definitely don't want to lift it off the ground, especially if the area is NOT carpeted. If there is carpeting, then the sub will suffer a bit.

586812096[/snapback]

haha...that's true, I didn't even figure in the factors of materials surrounding the sub......great point, bangbang!

For general subwoofers (nice computer speakers or regular home theater multi speaker systems) the average distance you want to have a sub is about 7 feet from where the listener is located. Just a general rule of thumb for room setups such as this.  Try elevating it off the ground a bit as well to have a more crisp sound instead of a complete room rumble of distortion.

Now it's different with club stack speakers of course, but that's a completely different thing ;)

586812079[/snapback]

One thing, you definitely don't want to lift it off the ground, especially if the area is NOT carpeted. If there is carpeting, then the sub will suffer a bit.

haha...that's true, I didn't even figure in the factors of materials surrounding the sub......great point, bangbang!

586812102[/snapback]

Another test I've heard mentioned is a little painful, but works. One guy, I forget who, suggested placing the sub where you will be sitting (move furniture to the side) and then go to various parts of the room where you could place it and see which one sounds best. Mark the spot, put the sub there, put your furniture back in place and it should be all well and done.

I say you put it under the table in the middle of the room. ;) :p

Seriously, though, it seems to me like where it is now is probably pretty good (unless you're an extreme audiophile or something).

(Edit: I had a typo :blush: )

Edited by Fedorpheux

Another test I've heard mentioned is a little painful, but works. One guy, I forget who, suggested placing the sub where you will be sitting (move furniture to the side) and then go to various parts of the room where you could place it and see which one sounds best. Mark the spot, put the sub there, put your furniture back in place and it should be all well and done.

586812110[/snapback]

I guess that would equal the comment I made about "experimenting".....lol

BangBang, I think you've got this covered! U da man! (I've experimented with everything with this one, and it all really depends on room acoustics, and audio setup. I wish all of you good luck, and bangbang, you have a good night!)

I guess that would equal the comment I made about "experimenting".....lol

BangBang, I think you've got this covered! U da man! (I've experimented with everything with this one, and it all really depends on room acoustics, and audio setup. I wish all of you good luck, and bangbang, you have a good night!)

586812120[/snapback]

Sorry if I repeated you. It's been a long day and my brain is fried lol. I'm just trying to help a few people out before heading to bed.

You're right, though, each room is unique and therefore experimentation is really the only true way to go. What works in my hard wood living room may not work in someone's carpeted bedroom.

bolt a chair to it and have a seat.

586812117[/snapback]

lol...that's the TRUE experience...lol....

I saw you put it under the table in the middle of the room. ;)  :p

Seriously, though, it seems to me like where it is now is probably pretty good (unless you're an extreme audiophile or something).

586812119[/snapback]

As I said, I did a quick 5 sec. notepad job....sticking with KISS...or Keep It Simple, Stupid! (not that I'm calling anyone stupid, it's just that sometimes the obvious seems to slip away when we as humans complicate things. Love all of ya!)

586812096[/snapback]

You're right, it does depend on what you have for flooring. From any studio monitors I've used they've always been elevated.

Home theater I've seen both though.

You're right, it does depend on what you have for flooring.  From any studio monitors I've used they've always been elevated.

Home theater I've seen both though.

586812147[/snapback]

If you have a non carpeted floor, it's definitely best to leave it on the floor. It will help the resonance greatly. Now when it comes to carpeting, you can elevate it, but that opens up a whole new can of worms including nasty sounds coming from the vibrating stand.

Sorry if I repeated you. It's been a long day and my brain is fried lol. I'm just trying to help a few people out before heading to bed.

You're right, though, each room is unique and therefore experimentation is really the only true way to go. What works in my hard wood living room may not work in someone's carpeted bedroom.

586812141[/snapback]

Hey, bro, me too on that bed issue.......lol.......experimentation has helped me develop a very inexpensive home-stereo, although "obsolete" now, I would put it up against some of the loudest cars I've ever heard, but the only way I accomplished this was with a sharp ear, and the ability to experiment with my environment. Anyway, I'm with you, and my brain is now mush, like an order of eggs "sunny side up"......time to go get some sleep...bangbang, you da man, keep em' schooled! (If you're up to it, lol...) I'm outta here! Glad to know I meet an end with someone! :yes: (Y) BB, you rock!

Hey, bro, me too on that bed issue.......lol.......experimentation has helped me develop a very inexpensive home-stereo, although "obsolete" now, I would put it up against some of the loudest cars I've ever heard, but the only way I accomplished this was with a sharp ear, and the ability to experiment with my environment. Anyway, I'm with you, and my brain is now mush, like an order of eggs "sunny side up"......time to go get some sleep...bangbang, you da man, keep em' schooled! (If you're up to it, lol...) I'm outta here! Glad to know I meet an end with someone! :yes: (Y) BB, you rock!

586812157[/snapback]

Thanks man. I'll be joining the land of jumping sheep in a few minutes. Thanks for the kind words.

Hey guys I have a quick question. We are setting up a family room/home theater in our basement downstairs. The basement is elevated, so we decided to buy laminated floors. Underneath there is the usual wood, but I'd like to know if we should install an acoustic underlayment before puting down the laminated floors, or put them down directly on the floor? Will it make a difference?

Lastly, about the subwoofer position, I would do what bangbang suggested, and place the subwoofer where you normally sit. Then nest part will envolve getting on your knees and walking around untill you find the spot where you can hear the subwoofer best. Make sure to play something with a lot of bass. Good luck.

Thanks bangbang, but I'm not speaking about the subwoofer. I'm speaking of overall sound quality. Which way is better?

586814624[/snapback]

I would have to say, for overall sound quality, you'd want the underlayment there. It keeps the sound in the room and will give it a more natural sound. I don't have any experience with the underlayment itself, but looking at it logically, it should help you with better sound.