LCD tv for PC

Im thinking of getting a LCD HD ready TV.

I would go for something like a 36" LCD. I belive they can run upto 1900xXXX pixals, but most cheaper ones run at 1366xXXX pixals.

If i got one, and wanted to use it as a PC monitor also, would that work? TV's at the moment dont look good as they run at something silly like 576xXXX. But if i had a 36" tv running my PC at 1366xXXX, it would be useable, right?

Also, to connect the PC to it, i would need a graphics card with HDTV OUT? Or do some have DVI ? And what would be better?

Basically there's two type of LCD HDTV resolutions, the 720p and 1080p resolutions. Most LCD's are the 1360x768 (my Samsung 26" runs at this) and some of the newer LCD's have the native resolution of 1920x1080 (taking a Sharp 45" after hitting google). I run Media Center on a PC conneted to my Samsung and it looks great. Of course running in 1080p will be smaller fonts, but more pixels so if you get a larger set, the pixels won't be so big. Depending on the TV, it will either have VGA or DVI inputs, and you can use either one, my Samsung has VGA in and that's what I use, and it looks great. Better than having to fuss around with getting HDTV out on the comp setup to look good. If you can get a TV with DVI in, that's better than VGA for sure. For PC's, I think VGA or DVI is better than using HDTV cables, but that's me. :) It also saves you a set of component jacks on the back just in case you get more stuff that is HD.

thanks for the answers.

So basically, using a pc on a LCD works well, and you can surf etc. Whats it like for games? I hardly play games but might do if its on a 36" LCD ;)

If i do get one, i will be getting the LCD mostly for media centre, and hooking my SKY box into the TV ready for HDTV sky.

I don't play PC games on my 26" Samsung LCD, I do play console systems on it though. I have a Dell 20" Widescreen LCD on my gaming PC and it rocks. :) I"m sure you'll like the 36" though, bigger screen, but prob will be lower resolution though.

I don't play PC games on my 26" Samsung LCD, I do play console systems on it though. I have a Dell 20" Widescreen LCD on my gaming PC and it rocks. :)  I"m sure you'll like the 36" though, bigger screen, but prob will be lower resolution though.

586813677[/snapback]

26" Samsung LCD? Which one? The official Xbox360 series? (268W?). That's the one I have.

thanks for the answers.

So basically, using a pc on a LCD works well, and you can surf etc. Whats it like for games? I hardly play games but might do if its on a 36" LCD ;)

If i do get one, i will be getting the LCD mostly for media centre, and hooking my SKY box into the TV ready for HDTV sky.

586813462[/snapback]

Depending on the type of game, you might expect to get some ghosting depending on the latency, which I don't believe is too good on LCD TVs compared to LCD monitors.

Most LCD tv's have DVI in, and sometimes have one you can dedicate to a PC so you can also have a cable box hooked up via DVI.

586813310[/snapback]

Any good LCD TV will have a VGA connection and any newer ones that aren't bargain basement will have an HDMI port over a DVI one.

Depending on the type of game, you might expect to get some ghosting depending on the latency, which I don't believe is too good on LCD TVs compared to LCD monitors.

586813989[/snapback]

Sony, Samsung, Sharp all produce large panels with 12ms response. More than enough for gaming.

The Samsung on the kiosks (I already told ya in PM, but I'll say here too for others wondering) is the same series, just only 23", the LN-R238W, while I have the LN-R268W.  Samsung is a big 360 launch partner. :)

586814569[/snapback]

Very big. MS bought around 25,000 sets for the 360.

26" Samsung LCD? Which one? The official Xbox360 series? (268W?).  That's the one I have.

586813910[/snapback]

The Samsung on the kiosks (I already told ya in PM, but I'll say here too for others wondering) is the same series, just only 23", the LN-R238W, while I have the LN-R268W. Samsung is a big 360 launch partner. :)