How-to: VPN Server?

Sorry about posting this if there's already posts on it, "vpn" was too short to search for and "virtual private network" didn't come up with anything. :cross:

I've got a lan at work with about 6 windows 98 PCs just connected to each other. I want to be able to connect to the network (and only the network, not like something like pcAnyWhere, just want to be able to access the shared resources like shared folders at home) and I think from what I've heard that's what VPN does.

Can anyone point me towards at VPN setup guides or VPN server software or anything of the such, perhaps even other alternative?

TIA! :)

if you have a win2k box, i know you can set it up to accept incoming vpn connections. i have done this once but the guy that connected couldn't access any of my shared resources but we may have been doing something wrong. if you have a router or other hardware firewall, you'll have to open up the port that vpn uses but i don't know what port it is. if you don't have a win2k or XP box, then you are out of luck i believe...